Interesting Cobra information...

LedVenom281

Zoso
Established Member
CGoeschel said:
I hope they do better than "just produce over 400 hp." ... Im bettin' closer to 450 to 475 hp for the Cobra and a limited production R model thats got something close the the Ford GT motor.
I really hope that is will produce over 400hp. SVT went from 320hp in 2001 to 390 for the 2003/04 Cobras. So what makes you think that they won't go from 390 in 03/04 to 450 in 07? Its possible. I also agree that if they don't make the 07' Cobra as powerful as we hope it will be, that SVT needs to make an R model or perhaps Ford will build a Shelby 350 or 500 to quench our thirst. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. By this time next year, we will know what the truth is.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
It's all about modifyability- say the take the current Cobra motor, swap on the GT's twin-screw, fix the ticking head & improve cooling, better pistons, add a viper-spec T56 with a real input shaft, better IRS and stuff it into a much stiffer, better chassis, with around 430hp that would be good for me. It would be nicer with a blown 5.4L motor, but economics or packaging my not make that feesible.

Ford has said numerious times that they recognize the owners of such cars are big on mods- any Ford exec would only need to spend 5 minutes on this board to know that. A low/mid 400hp twin screw should be easily moddifiable to 550-600+ rwhp; some suspension upgrades and I'd be cash money it would at least hang with a C6 Z06, and probably pull it in a straight line.

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
jwfisher said:
Time to get realistic here...

The last Cobra got it's ass kicked thoroughly by the last Z06, and the new 2006 Z06 will absolutely kill it flat dead. It in fact already has, and neither are out yet.

There us no chance whatsoever that any kind of Cobra based on a Mustang could compete with this new Z06. In fact, it even matches the Ford GT in all performance areas and exceeds it in many. All for a heckuva lot less money too.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/

Actually you need to join the real world. It's already been proven the 03/04 Cobra puts down about 10-20 more RWHP than the CURRENT Z06 does. It's also been proven that the Z06 is ONLY about .1 to .3 faster in the 1/4 mile than the current Cobra.

I don't consider that being kicked thoroughly in any aspect.

hell just toss a good CAI on the Cobra and you are a dead even race completely dependent on the driver.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
That little snippet of info is about as far off from reality as can be.

Just over 400hp :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: The next Cobra is gonna blow peoples socks off. Garaunteed. Everyone's jumping into the party with 500+, you think after Ford threw out a 390(420) horse car, they'd come to the party underdressed? :)

P.S The next Cobra still won't compete with the Z06, just like the current one wasn't a direct competitor. Anybody that thinks they are within .1 or .2 of each other is blinded by brand loyalty, or stupidity. All things equivalent the difference is about .4, much much worse on them tracks with turns.

Additionally, people that think it's stupid to compare the Cobra and Z06 should not subsequently compare the C6 Z06 to the Ford GT :rolleyes: I'll let you know how they compare when the C6 Z06 is a REAL CAR that I own, until then it's all conjecture. Ford GT=hand built supercar. C6 Z06=hi po variant of car produced on the line.

Machinator

Banned
The DBK said:

Just over 400hp :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: The next Cobra is gonna blow peoples socks off. Garaunteed. Everyone's jumping into the party with 500+, you think after Ford threw out a 390(420) horse car, they'd come to the party underdressed? :)

P.S The next Cobra still won't compete with the Z06, just like the current one wasn't a direct competitor. Anybody that thinks they are within .1 or .2 of each other is blinded by brand loyalty, or stupidity. All things equivalent the difference is about .4, much much worse on them tracks with turns.

Additionally, people that think it's stupid to compare the Cobra and Z06 should not subsequently compare the C6 Z06 to the Ford GT :rolleyes: I'll let you know how they compare when the C6 Z06 is a REAL CAR that I own, until then it's all conjecture. Ford GT=hand built supercar. C6 Z06=hi po variant of car produced on the line.

This may sound goofy but do you own the Ford Gt in your Sig. If so what do you think about it, and congrats.

Machinator

Banned
By the way DBK you make a pretty impressive argument I so hope you are right. The biggest thing I am hoping for in the next cobra is a weight loss, the new mustang Gt is to heavy, hope the Cobra gos on a diet or Ill by a Z-06.

Machinator

Banned
jwfisher said:
Time to get realistic here...

There us no chance whatsoever that any kind of Cobra based on a Mustang could compete with this new Z06. In fact, it even matches the Ford GT in all performance areas and exceeds it in many. All for a heckuva lot less money too.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/

You have lost your mind, the cobra is a poor mans supercar, the Gt is an all out super car and will kill the new Z06. The Cobra cannot compete stock, but dont rule out the Ford Gt.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
The GT in my sig is Ford's. My dad brought one home for a few days so we had to organize a photo shoot. :D It's an amazing car, and faaaaast.

I'm gonna have to assume that the new Z and the GT will be relatively close in performance, but ultimately the GT will keep going at high speed. The GT doesn't have near the grunt down low that a car like mine has, but once you get a full head of steam, it's goodnight. The difference will be in the details, which is why a Ferrari 360 is 175k, and a faster C5 Z06 is 50k.

I doubt the Cobra will get an extensive weight loss program either. If the coupe weighs about 35-3600 pounds, they'll just make up for it with power. The cost of going from 450 to 500 horse or dropping 250 pounds is very very different. You've gotta remember the new Z will cost at a bare bare minimum 60k, and guesses have gone as high as 75k; Ford will never charge more than 40k for a base Coupe(at least that's what I'd assume). That's a huge difference and really rules them out as cross shoppers.

The car world is an oligopoly, and by definition each company's actions are defined by their acute awareness of their competitors'. With GM and Dodge packing 500 horse cars with a bit higher price, I can't see Ford doing anything but following suit. We shall see, hopefully they have something to say at the NAIAS. I'm not holding out hope they have a show car for the future, but who knew about the GT or the Shelby car? We can hope.

Last edited:

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
The DBK said:

the difference is about .4, much much worse on them tracks with turns.

P.S The next Cobra still won't compete with the Z06, just like the current one wasn't a direct competitor. Anybody that thinks they are within .1 or .2 of each other is blinded by brand loyalty, or stupidity. All things equivalent

Dude, you really know jack shit about the CURRENT Z06 and CURRENT Cobra then.

Hell a guy from these forums who owns BOTH a 2003 Z06 and 03 Cobra, just so happens to own a tuning shop and a dyno and proved time and time again the stock Cobra has more power to the ground than the stock Z06, and the stock Z06 is slightly faster due to it's lower weight.

I can tell you with a simple CAI and cat back I have repeadly beat the snot out of the two regular Z06 racers up here by anywhere from .2 to .6 seconds at the track.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Yeah, you're right boss. I don't know shit about either car. :lol1:

I never said the Cobra didn't put down more rwhp...

The I don't know collection is in my sig. You can see above. I've edited this to save the board space from the same stupid redundant argument :lol:

Last edited:

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
jwfisher said:
You mean the strip, and that's a poor ass measure of a car's abilities.

The next thing you are going to say is that the Vette has a better interior.

The EVO or STI can run circles around the vette on the "twisties" but it shure the hell isn't a better car.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Evil_Merlin said:
The next thing you are going to say is that the Vette has a better interior.

The EVO or STI can run circles around the vette on the "twisties" but it shure the hell isn't a better car.

I hope by twisties you mean a wet 135 foot figure 8. :lol1:

Ever been to a road course?

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
The DBK said:
I hope by twisties you mean a wet 135 foot figure 8. :lol1:

Ever been to a road course?

Quite a few times. Being a member of SVTOA is a good thing. Done tracks as far south as South Carolina and as west as New York.

69hahaha

Established Member
Evil_Merlin said:
Quite a few times. Being a member of SVTOA is a good thing. Done tracks as far south as South Carolina and as west as New York.

" West as New York " ?

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Evil_Merlin said:
Yes as west as New York you know like the State of New York?

What road course in the western section of New York State?

It's possible JWFisher may have taught you in the road racing school.

BTW, my money is on JWF is anybody wants to go road racing.

I was hoping they would delete that S/C. I guess not if Edmunds is to be believed. Maybe they'll come out with a N/A Shelby Mustang or Mach 1 for road racers?

Oh yea, there has not be any announcement of a new Camaro. I'd like to see one as it would compete with the new Mustang. Competition= better and faster product for all. If they do make a new Camaro, they better come to the table with more of a full deck than the previous F-body rattle trap.

Mustang= a pony car. It isn't supposed to compete with the CC6, the C6 Z06 or the Ford GT.

EVO and STI? Ha! I love putting them a lap down. (although I agree they make nice rally cars).

$40K-45K? They better stay under $40K. Over $40K gets into Corvette price range. I hope they don't make as many as they did the 03/04. I'd like to see a limit of production to no more than 5K vehicles (per year). The 19,140 cars killed the resale of those 03/04 cars.

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
The DBK said:
....I'm gonna have to assume that the new Z and the GT will be relatively close in performance, but ultimately the GT will keep going at high speed. The GT doesn't have near the grunt down low that a car like mine has, but once you get a full head of steam, it's goodnight. The difference will be in the details, which is why a Ferrari 360 is 175k, and a faster C5 Z06 is 50k.

I doubt the Cobra will get an extensive weight loss program either. If the coupe weighs about 35-3600 pounds, they'll just make up for it with power. The cost of going from 450 to 500 horse or dropping 250 pounds is very very different. You've gotta remember the new Z will cost at a bare bare minimum 60k, and guesses have gone as high as 75k; Ford will never charge more than 40k for a base Coupe(at least that's what I'd assume). That's a huge difference and really rules them out as cross shoppers.

The car world is an oligopoly, and by definition each company's actions are defined by their acute awareness of their competitors'. With GM and Dodge packing 500 horse cars with a bit higher price, I can't see Ford doing anything but following suit. We shall see, hopefully they have something to say at the NAIAS. I'm not holding out hope they have a show car for the future, but who knew about the GT or the Shelby car? We can hope.

Good points in here. "Difference is in the details" is absolutely correct. I think it's funny that some of you guys are so blinded by blue oval colored glasses that you cannot open your mind to the reality that the performance of the Ford GT has been reached by the new Z06. With the difference in the details I believe you will come to find that the Vette will actually be street driven and tracked because it is obtainable and offers a greater package content at a third of the current market price of the Ford GT.

Also, some of you need to stop suggesting that the current Cobras and Z06 Vettes are in the same overall performance category because they absolutely are not.

Arthur

Users who are viewing this thread