Intermittent PATS problems. Code 16! Bad PCM?

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
Hi guys. I hope i can get some one to help me out with this issue i have.
So, about 2 months ago my car started shutting off in traffic and flashing the theft light. I did make it home that day but ever since i didn't take the car out anymore as the problem got worse and it would shut down in the driveway.

So it would do this intermittent and when it does it it gives code 16 that means no communication with pcm.
I have checked all the fuses and everything looks good. I only have one key and when i tried to program a second key with my scan tool, the tool would say after the 10 minute wait "system busy. try again."
So at this point i think I'm dealing with a bad PCM but before i involve dealerships , what would you guys advice me to do?

Thank you

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Get ahold of a wiring diagram and check for bad connections, clean Ali the connections and grounds, look, feel and tug test for broken wires before you go to the dealer, do you best to properly diagnose first. Working under the dash is a real pain and if you have the patience you can save a bunch of money because their tech isn’t going to like working under the dash either. Electronic devices rarely work intermittently, usually they either work or the don’t

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
I have a ford wiring manual on the way. I will take the pcm out and check the wiring. Just wanted to see if anyone has dealt with this before.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Last issue I had crazy like this was a ground wire,,

On radiator support you will see ground from battery to support, just to right is another green bolt this is pcm ground

Mine cracked on mount caused all hell..

Ground from battery to support I also had issues, it burned up inside casing where you can't see,,

I did upgrade that wire with battery size wire ground

Dave.O

Established Member
I had this same problem on my excursion.
Pats receiver failed, and their long since discontinued. Was able totally disable pats with a tune

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

504SVTCOBRA

Established Member
I had a problem like that while driving the car it would just die. I also thought it was the pcm I replaced it and still the same thing. It was the relay in the ccrm was going out. It finally went out and wasn’t powering the pcm anymore so therefore no communication with the pcm. Do you have dashes across where the mileage shows up on the dash?

cajun cobra

Established Member
I recommend posting this on efidynotuning and asking decipha. Few people know the ins and outs of our ecu's better than him. He does post on SVTP on occasion but you'd probably get a quicker response posting on his site.

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
That's exactly what mine does. And yes I do get the dashes instead of the miles. I will check the CCRM as i didn't even know about it. To be honest sometimes when I leave my key on and pats doesn't work all of a sudden I hear a click and fuel pumps and everything goes back to normal.

Thank you all for the advice. I will try to check all my grounds and that relay.
I had a problem like that while driving the car it would just die. I also thought it was the pcm I replaced it and still the same thing. It was the relay in the ccrm was going out. It finally went out and wasn’t powering the pcm anymore so therefore no communication with the pcm. Do you have dashes across where the mileage shows up on the dash?

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Just for shits and giggles, have you tried a second key?

Other than that PCM or the cluster.

T-bird88

Established Member
I have had this problem.
Car stalls and dashes on the odometer.
It turned out to be a bad seated connector behind the battery.
The PCM is grounded directly to the battery with a splice behind the battery (1 pole).

T-bird88

Established Member
I have had this problem.
Between battery and shock tower.
The PCM is grounded directly to the battery with a splice behind the battery (1 pole).

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
Just for shits and giggles, have you tried a second key?

Other than that PCM or the cluster.
I don't have a second key that's the problem. I don't think it's the key dough.
I have had this problem.
Between battery and shock tower.
I did check that. I've cleaned the connector and still does the same thing.

504SVTCOBRA

Established Member
The ccrm has four relays in it pcm,cooling fan,fuel pumps,and a/c. When it was shorting out my fan, fuel pumps and pcm were clicking on and off and the pats light was blinking fast. It’s located under passenger side fenderwell.

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
I've noticed that the ccrm box has the letter B on it. Is this specific or I can get one with any letter?

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
I would like to thank you for chiming in and giving me the advice. I've replaced the CCRM and ever since then the car is not acting up at all. So this might have been the fix for me. Thanks again for saving me from taking it in the dealership as I thought I have a bad PCM.

504SVTCOBRA

Established Member
I would like to thank you for chiming in and giving me the advice. I've replaced the CCRM and ever since then the car is not acting up at all. So this might have been the fix for me. Thanks again for saving me from taking it in the dealership as I thought I have a bad PCM.
Glad it’s fixed I also thought my problem was the pcm. I didn’t know about the CCRM until I changed the pcm and still didn’t fix the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread