Introducing the SVTPerformance 2015 EcoBoost Mustang

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Allow me to introduce to you the first of SVTP's two 2015 Mustang Project cars. Code named 'Samhain', this Competition Orange EcoBoost S550 will follow in the steps of our former 2012 Mustang GT. It will be fast tracked into the rapidly growing field of 2.3L Turbo Mustang mods. With each modification we will bring you install articles, reviews, and opinions to help you navigate the aftermarket's offerings for this latest generation of Mustang. In fact, as you are reading this I'm happy to say that we have already installed a prototype MGW shifter.

So what drove us to move from our base Coyote powered 2012 to a premium 4-banger 2015? In a nutshell, the future. Like it or not, Ford is sticking to its guns on its engine downsizing EcoBoost technology package. We have seen a smattering of performance applications of EcoBoost engines with the Focus and Fiesta STs and the one-model-year-only 2014 F-150 Tremor. However, this 2.3L is Ford's first foray into the EcoBoost world with its classic Pony car. In other words, it's a whole new world of performance for us to explore.

So what do we have planned? As mentioned above, we've already installed and tested a prototype MGW shifter. However, that's just the tip of the performance upgrade iceberg. So far we have an Airaid Intake, Livernois Performance Tunes and Calibrator, a prototype JLT Oil Separator, and commitments Vortech for their intercooler upgrade kit as well as several Ford Racing Performance Parts. We'll be posting installs and reviews of those parts and many others over the next several months. Just keep an eye on out 2015 Mustang Forums and the SVTP Front Page for the latest in S550 Mustang News, Reviews, and Real World Installs.

Until then, here are some pics of us PDI'ing the car. No need for the dealer to do it here at SVTP.:beer:

I like addition of the trunk release button and the molded in upper license plate spacers. It would have been nice to have them for the bottom to the plate as well.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_001.jpg

I didn't realize it, but apparently Ford leaves it up to the dealership to install valve stem caps.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_022.jpg

The SVTP 2015 EcoBoost is equipped with the BLIS system, which I'm not a fan of. I prefer the old-school spotter mirrors.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_003.jpg

Seems that the bumper could use a bit more protection than this one piece of plastic.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_004.jpg

Nothing like cleaning off some runny window marker.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_005.jpg

Apparently this little foam pad protects the door in just the right spot during transport.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_006.jpg

I present to you the 2015 Mustang, basically half American. This one is truly an international effort.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_007.jpg

The interior comes festooned with warning placards.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_008.jpg

No one likes scratched up chrome, this plastic film makes sure that doesn't happen on the way to your dealer.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_009.jpg

Truckers can have dirty boots, luckily this barrier should keep your carpets somewhat clean.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_010.jpg

Deciphering labels is fun. S550 Cobra Jet?

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_011.jpg

Just because the car is brand new doesn't mean that it's going to arrive clean. The carpet comes covered with plenty of lent from the manufacturing process.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_012.jpg

The Recaro seats look great, but they do not provide as much support as I would like.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_013.jpg

From the first time I drove a 2015 Mustang I missed the seat belt extenders from the previous model. I don't like having to reach back so far to grab the belt.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_014.jpg

You don't see these screen protectors all that often. Apparently a lot of dealers fail to read that last line.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_015.jpg

I'm a big fan of autodimming mirrors, I just wish the side mirrors were of the autodim variety.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_016.jpg

Odd place for a plastic bag.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_017.jpg

Looks like I scored a build sheet.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_018.jpg

This is the navigation SD card. The dealer would typically have this already installed in your car.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_019.jpg

In case you were wondering, you're not supposed to bend the SD card or get it wet.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_020.jpg

This SD card slot can be used to upload files, like pics, to the head unit as well.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_021.jpg

Ford puts this piece of black licorice on the door to protect the paint. It does pretty well.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_023.jpg

More fun with labels. I wonder if "Oranger" means 'more orange'?

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_024.jpg

Look mom, a place to mount a Snow Performance water/meth kit. It would be nice if Ford made a storage tray for the spare tire well.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_025.jpg

The bane of an auto enthusiast's existence, the front plate bracket. Thankfully I live in a freedom loving state so I won't be need it.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_026.jpg

The S550 Mustang has a suprisingly spacious trunk. It'll come in handy if your significant other likes to bring everything she owns on a trip only to later complain that she has nothing to wear.:bored:

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_027.jpg

Here's a handy bag of screws we won't be needing. Who doesn't love having extra parts left over when you finish putting something together?

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_028.jpg

Yeah, no thanks.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_029.jpg

Hello prop-rod. Thanks to Redline Tuning Hood Struts you will be finding yourself in a your new home in the attic.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_030.jpg

I was impressed that Ford made this coolant pipe out of aluminum and stainless steel instead of plastic and pot-metal. It shows the high-performance potential of the EcoBoost engine.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_031.jpg

Talk about plenty of space to work. You can actually see the ground around the engine. Can't say the same thing for the Coyote.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_032.jpg

Just look at that cute little turbo hanging there. It's definitely going to be reeving a workout very soon.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_033.jpg

You're going to be able to change the down-pipe in record time on this car. Everything is ridiculously easy to reach.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_034.jpg

More labels. The ECU is a Mexican made Bosch unit. I'm pretty sure "Di-Motronic" is just some word the Bosch engineers heard on Star Trek.

SVTP_2015_Mustang_PDI_035.jpg

-SID297:beer:

CoastieStang

Established Member
Looks like serious potential. I think the ecoboost is a great move. I doubt it would happen but an RS model like the upcoming Focus would be sick. The 5.0 would still be ahead but a bigger snail I'm sure wouldn't hurt the 2.3. Enjoy the new ride.

greenflash00

Established Member
Great review! Love the bit about "freedom loving state" and thankful to live in the same one! Hate those front plates :lol: Looking forward to the progress, Travis. :beer:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Looks like serious potential. I think the ecoboost is a great move. I doubt it would happen but an RS model like the upcoming Focus would be sick. The 5.0 would still be ahead but a bigger snail I'm sure wouldn't hurt the 2.3. Enjoy the new ride.

Since the Mustang is now global an RS model is certainly within the realm of possibility.

Great review! Love the bit about "freedom loving state" and thankful to live in the same one! Hate those front plates :lol: Looking forward to the progress, Travis. :beer:

No doubt. No front plate, no inspections, cheap gas, cheap insurance, ridiculously cheap sales tax, etc. SC is a great place to live.

Awesome ride man!
Can't wait to see the mod upgrades......

Thanks bro.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Travis - great looking car and I'm really looking forward to seeing this lightweight become a contender. Thumbs up!

No front plate, no inspections, cheap gas, cheap insurance, ridiculously cheap sales tax, etc. SC is a great place to live.

I can counter each one of those with the extreme opposite here in NY. Sigh...

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Thats awesome man, and badass color choice!

I'm really liking the CO paint. I think it would look great on a new FX4 F-150 or Super Duty.

Travis - great looking car and I'm really looking forward to seeing this lightweight become a contender. Thumbs up!

I can counter each one of those with the extreme opposite here in NY. Sigh...

I couldn't live in that state.

The more and more I see on these Ecoboost cars, the more I am impressed with them.

It really is a good car. It just feels a bit soft around the edges. Nothing we can't fix with the right combo of parts from the SVTP Vendors though.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Great post Sid

My first mod would be stripping anything out of the car that does not contribute to starting, stopping and turning. Nothing better than degrading the ride quality, economy, drivability and practicality of a performance car :)

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Great post Sid

My first mod would be stripping anything out of the car that does not contribute to starting, stopping and turning. Nothing better than degrading the ride quality, economy, drivability and practicality of a performance car :)

I can't say that this particular car is going to be a full on race car, but it is going to be skewed heavily towards on-track performance.

Users who are viewing this thread