IRS For 13/14 GT 500

Established Member
I have my fingers crossed someone makes an retrofit kit.

I bet the heavy use units will be hard to come by tho.

GT500-lolz@MPG

Established Member
I have my fingers crossed someone makes an retrofit kit.

I bet the heavy use units will be hard to come by tho.

That would be nice.. It would make the switch to the S550 SVT product unecessary and the financial hit that goes along with it (granted it uses the 5.8 that I so dearly love and have also invested into).

Established Member
^^I think their business model is to sell information videos rather than great quality IRS units for Mustangs. At least not put together well enough to go in a GT 500.

Just my opinion.

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
I have a buddy who put a special one off IRS on his 2007 40th SuperSnake, and he has had nothing but problems with it. I have been to half a dozen events since he put it on he was at, and every one of them his car has been on jack stands or broken on the track.

Dont do it...hes a dear friend, but no bueno IRS in his case.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Designing a "ground up" suspension is no small feat. I would be very leary installing an aftermarket or home grown suspension in any car. Chances are it will make things worse not better.

tw0scoops

Established Member
I would think the solid rear would have benefits over the IRS, like drag racing, or so I've heard. No?

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
Not necessarily, but on a road course, the IRS SHOULD be better. Ive often wondered if in the case of a GT500 though, if you would be giving up a lot of the "feel" that makes driving it so damn much fun?

cobraboss

Established Member
Not necessarily, but on a road course, the IRS SHOULD be better. Ive often wondered if in the case of a GT500 though, if you would be giving up a lot of the "feel" that makes driving it so damn much fun?

I know of a person that said a solid axle was better with the right set up on it. No hate here, just repeating.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
One of the reasons I bought a 14 was to AVOID the IRS.

The FR500 race cars have won championships with our same axle and suspension mods competing against other IRS equipped cars.

Tom

Established Member
On a smooth track, SRAs can be made an equal of an IRS. I think the big advantage of an IRS is on a rough street and expansion joints on sweeping turns on the on-ramps and freeways.

My 2cents

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I would not do the swap. First, your putting 662 FWHP to the IRS...most likely broken half shafts coming at you unless the IRS is certified for that HP or better.

Wheel hop potential issue on hard acceleration from a stop. I had an SN95 Cobra with IRS. Nice cornering, but everything else sucked.

I have a 12 GT500 with PP now and that stock setup feels better than the older IRS.

bpmurr

Established Member

Ford made it very clear that during the development of the 2015 Mustang just adding an IRS didn't make it better. It required modification to the front suspension as well. Enjoy the SRA and know that Ford did their best to dial it in as much as possible.

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I would not do the swap. First, your putting 662 FWHP to the IRS...most likely broken half shafts coming at you unless the IRS is certified for that HP or better.

Wheel hop potential issue on hard acceleration from a stop. I had an SN95 Cobra with IRS. Nice cornering, but everything else sucked.

I have a 12 GT500 with PP now and that stock setup feels better than the older IRS.

It's a pretty safe bet that the new IRS is nothing like the one designed 15 years ago. I have confidence Ford has ironed out all those faults. With that said, I wouldn't swap one in either. Not in a chassis that wasn't designed for it anyway.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
It's a pretty safe bet that the new IRS is nothing like the one designed 15 years ago. I have confidence Ford has ironed out all those faults. With that said, I wouldn't swap one in either. Not in a chassis that wasn't designed for it anyway.

I agree with this.

Personally I think the next gen mustang is going to do great with the IRS setup. It will be interesting to see the setup on say the GT350 or Cobra if they call something that .. some high HP car w/ the IRS built to handle it.

However, I don't think I would go through the trouble on the current gen cars.

Crowley

mobeydick

Established Member
Any chance with the new mustang IRS will fit our cars? Or someone producing a IRS that will fit?

Why would anyone want one? They are heavier and weaker. The Camaro 1le is just a tick ahead of the BOSS and the Z28 is only a tick ahead of the BOSS LS. The Latter Camaro is stripped of every modern confront and it needs a 427ci engine to get that. Both the 1le and the Z28 have wider tires from the factory and I would suggest if the roles were reversed on the tires so would the times!

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Why would anyone want one? They are heavier and weaker. The Camaro 1le is just a tick ahead of the BOSS and the Z28 is only a tick ahead of the BOSS LS. The Latter Camaro is stripped of every modern confront and it needs a 427ci engine to get that. Both the 1le and the Z28 have wider tires from the factory and I would suggest if the roles were reversed on the tires so would the times!

I agree completely that the only reason the Camaro bests the GT500 in the turns is because of the tire advantage. I now run 285/305's front to back like the 1LE/Z28 and they really do perform well.

Users who are viewing this thread