Irs swap

quikcobra

Established Member
Yea man if we do this its pretty easy. I say get the gasket some say RTV. The Rear ends like Royal purple. I wouldnt run it in my engine but my trans and rear for sure.

jonv0305

Established Member
and thanks for the helpful hand, 2003DSGMACH1. ill definitely let you know since i've never done it before.

quikcobra

Established Member
Yea man. Ill send you a pm with my number. I just put the motor in, so its about time to drop the tank full of 3 year old gas. So i can drop it out with the IRS

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
So since theres a good chance Im swapping in 01 Cobra IRS into my mach, how much time start to finish does it take? My Mach will already be on stands partially disassembled since I'm rebuilding the TR-3650 at the same time.

quikcobra

Established Member
Thirtytwovalve: I would say around 4 hours at the high side of it. I got a call from Jon tuesday evening that he was free wed, thurs, and fri to do the swap. So I had it out wed. night after about an hour of work. Now im waiting on Jon to reply.

quikcobra

Established Member
Here is an update from everyone who has followed this thread.

On 12/6/10 I sent Jonv0305 a pm, We agreed we would do the swap. My IRS with a fair share of upgrades, For his stock mach1 rear-end. Since both will need to be built to the MAX to handle the power level im looking forward to with the bullseye s380r. We figured by the end of that week we would do the swap.

A few days later he said he needed to swap the engine in his other car. So Figuring that takes a day or 2 if your messing around.a week or so later puts us around the 20th he was "busy". So another week puts us past X-max still nothing from him.

After the first now I get a call tuesday 1/4/11 around 6-7 pm that he is now free and we could get it done finally that following wed, thursday, or fri. I asked his what day he was off work to do it since it really shouldnt take long. He dont work so any day is fine. I got mine a majority of the way out that tuesday then pulled itout wednesday 1/5/11. Gave him a call to set it up later that day or thursday.1/6/11. He said yea no problem the only thing about that day is I couldnt get a truck until my Fiance got home around 5 then it would be dark.

So a few hours later I get this message on facebook (Mind you after we agreed on this week and mine is already out he clearly knows this)

"Jon Velazquez January 5 at 10:05pm Report
hey i was wondering if you could possibly wait another month or so for me to get the car running first before we do the swap. i just wanna make sure its in working condition and i cant do that since my car isint running now. thanks man "

So relied well everything was set and mines already out and I would have never pulled it if he didnt give me a time frame and agreed on by both of us. I understand the concern but Its clear neither of us are here to rip the other off. So told him its very easy to tell the condition on a rear endso he could pull the cover and such not an issue. Well that was on the 5th it is now the 8th and nothing back. My engine is in the car after a loooong down time (2 years). I cant wait to get it going. I still need to get some suspension and cage things done before I install the turbo and for those things I need the car to run (Easier and cheaper the trailoring it everywhere)

I thought this should be public since it is pretty grimy, After all this time and inviting others off here to help and help them with their cars. We will see if everyone lives up to their word. But as of now im ready to put it back in and get this housing I had laying around built. then just sell the IRS since it has very very low mileage and is ready to go with gears and just about entirly upgraded.

quikcobra

Established Member
Yea it kinda sucks mainly because he is local and now its known hes kinda shady (Being nice). But I found it isnt hard to find a SRA what so ever, But now im torn between keeping my built IRS and improving it the little left, or going SRA I seen some guys are deep in the 9's with the IRS.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
IMO I love the IRS setup I did a swap in an 89 notch and the car rode and handled incredibly. I am sure you can find someone else locally to help out maybe search on Craigslist that is where I purchased the complete IRS setup and the gentleman was a forum member(go figure) it was pretty nice we were able to help one another out in the same fashion.:banana::banana:

Users who are viewing this thread