Irs swap

wheelhopper

Established Member
I put an IRS in my fox body, to run on road courses, and have no regrets. If handling is your thing then this is a great swap.

There was a time when you could buy a complete IRS for $500, all day long. I bought 3 of them. The IRS has now become more appreciated and it is hard to find one for under $1000. I wish I had bought a couple more.

jonv0305

Established Member
04mach1blurr, not sure honestly. i forgot to ask him. ill get back to you on that though. in advanced, any particular reason you're asking? i know 01 and 03/04 are stronger and were made better than the 99's.

NJ 03mach1, thanks for the input! glad to hear someone else is helping me with my decision. lol

wheelhopper, i feel you on that one. you could flip those easily. lol i don't think i've ever seen irs on a fox, maybe once. maybe ill do it to both my mach and my 89 fox. depending.

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
I ask because the 03/04 IRS system is far stronger than the 99/01s. Already come with 31 spline axles. So its an assembly that will last longer stock for stock. But if your upgrading to moser anyways don't make a decision based on the year then. Hope that helps, that's all I was getting at

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
Okay, its the slightly weaker assembly, but as you said your planing on upgrading the axles. So youll be fine.

quikcobra

Established Member
that's very true, i appreciate the help guys. ill be doing this swap with quikcobra sometime the end of this week or maybe next depending on both of our schedules. a couple of my buddies are telling me not to, but i've been wanting to do it for a while and my friend's 99 cobra never had snapped halfshafts. quikcobra has frpp 3.73 gears, urethane bushings all around and the diff brace. so other than that, ill most likely be getting mosser 31 splines and i should be set.

Im free threw the first basically. Not alot of people are into IRS, But not alot of people have really messed with the IRS its just from the people who think they are not for 1/4 mile cars. There are plenty of cobra on here running mid to low 10's with the IRS. But for what im looking to do I dont think my car will be on the road much at all. So the IRS will have to go. There is a reason it came out, the fastest sedan has a IRS, 350z's GTR's, ect.... run a IRS system. Hit me up when you want to do it, I could swing by show you how to remove it, its very easy and if you need a cheery picker or help with the Fox lmk.

Ironhand

Banned
If you guys need a helping hand, let me know. Im not far away and Ive done 3 IRS to SRA swaps.

jonv0305

Established Member
that would be awesome, ironhand! but i live in sanford, about 20 minutes from orlando. just wanted to make sure you were aware of that before you decided to drive out here. lol

quikcobra

Established Member
Yea man that would be pretty cool, When Jon hits me up when he is done with the fox body. I will bring my IRS then we can pull his and install the IRS.

NJ 03Mach1

Hillclimbers do it better
Established Member
So you kept the ABS sensors and shocks from the SRA and swapped them over to the IRS? I find that hard to believe since the ABS sensors were at least 6" too short and mount differently then the IRS ABS sensors. Plus, the SRA shocks don't fit the mounting location on the control arm.

Obviously I swapped the Shocks/Springs.

I did NOT however swap the ABS sensors.

Lifted the rear seat bottom, fed them out the hole in the floor, fed the new one's in, plugged them in and done.

The bulk of the work on my swap was done by Brian Mitchell (NMRA Renegade champion). I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing.. Been driving it for a few years this way and well, it works fine.

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
Obviously I swapped the Shocks/Springs.

I did NOT however swap the ABS sensors.

Lifted the rear seat bottom, fed them out the hole in the floor, fed the new one's in, plugged them in and done.

The bulk of the work on my swap was done by Brian Mitchell (NMRA Renegade champion). I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing.. Been driving it for a few years this way and well, it works fine.

X2 did the exact same thing

TheMrMach

Established Member
I did mine by myself....it's ****ing heavy LOLLOLOLOL

I enjoy it, but I need to replace the shocks and run a different spring than what I swapped for, so thats on my list, and mine makes a slight vibration on decel that I quite don't know why it does that, so I'm trouble shooting that, and its kinda noisy???

Other then that and the sorry ass nittos causing wheel hop (gonna cure it with some mickeys) it's still a ****ing quick ass car....but I also have a tubular k and all that shit. sooooo IDK.

Everything is noisy LOL

Eaton Swap is next for me :)

Last edited:

quikcobra

Established Member
Themrmach, Check your driveshaft bolts they tend to have those syptoms when they back out.

Regaurding the swap, I havent heard anything in over a week and we were surposed to swap last weekend. so??? How knows. Im still down my beefed up IRS for his stock.

Last edited:

TheMrMach

Established Member
Themrmach, Check your driveshaft bolts they when they vack out it will have those syptoms.

Regaurding the swap, I havent heard anything in over a week and we were surposed to swap last weekend. so??? How knows.

thanks man. Im getting under her tomorrow anyways to pull of the prochamber and and manifolds and put on some longtubes :)

quikcobra

Established Member
Themrmach if it is the bolts pull them out and put something on them to avoid it from happening again (Locktite, tape, ect...). And I fixed my postman it was nearly unreadable lol. And goodluck on the eaton swap, I had a blast with mine, play it safe and start as stock boost as possible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread