Irs swap

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
You will need catback, ABS sensors, switch pinion flanges, IRS springs.

He will need your SRA, ABS sensors from sra, control arms, all the bolt hardware, springs, pinion snubber, quad shocks, cat back

jonv0305

Established Member
04mach1blurr, i saw that you did the swap.
yay or nay.
what are your driving habits.
and why did you choose to go through with the swap?

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
jonv0305,

I did the swap on my GF's 03 mach and she loved the ride difference. She doesn't go out ripping on it like us guys do but she does get on it from time to time. The one thing I did notice was the wheel hop gets kind of bad when you really get on it in 1st but other then that she loves it and I love the IRS in my 96 cobra also. It is about 70-85lbs heavier so if you don't mind adding weight to your car then you'll most likely end up liking it, if not then theres always other guys willing to swap.

Last edited:

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
04mach1blurr, i saw that you did the swap.
yay or nay.
what are your driving habits.
and why did you choose to go through with the swap?

Hey, Yes I love that I did the swap! I daily drive my Mach, and love the twisties along with stright line fun. I drag race as well as autocross, and plan to go open track. I did build my rear, 03 IRS, had 7k miles on it, FTBR's full bushing kit, 4.10s, BF Differential brace, and it handles great never really got wheel hop after that. And now I supecharged it and am rebuilding my motor and will most likely have 500+ to the tire after. But Havent regreted the swap, only gears by a little bit.

I got it because I daily drive it and it feel smoother and handles easier in my opinion. It feels more comfortable and can be built just like the SRA, so why not try driving it smoother with an IRS under it

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Hey, Yes I love that I did the swap! I daily drive my Mach, and love the twisties along with stright line fun. I drag race as well as autocross, and plan to go open track. I did build my rear, 03 IRS, had 7k miles on it, FTBR's full bushing kit, 4.10s, BF Differential brace, and it handles great never really got wheel hop after that. And now I supecharged it and am rebuilding my motor and will most likely have 500+ to the tire after. But Havent regreted the swap, only gears by a little bit.

I got it because I daily drive it and it feel smoother and handles easier in my opinion. It feels more comfortable and can be built just like the SRA, so why not try driving it smoother with an IRS under it

+1. A bushing kit will definitely help eliminate wheel hop. Bumpsteer and tire selection are the other two things to consider to truly eliminate it. I do not regret this swap whatsoever.

jonv0305

Established Member
SOS: from the stance of your mach, i wouldnt have regret it neither. I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOUR CAR. lol

04mach1blurr and mystic, thanks for the input, that really helped me make a decision. i wanna go with it and dont plan on installing a blower or making any serious power anytime soon. i just heard that the halfshafts snap easily, but they're easy and cheap to replace. and i know ive heard of built rear ends handling a solid launch just as good, if not better than an SRA. but it can be quite expensive.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
and i know ive heard of built rear ends handling a solid launch just as good, if not better than an SRA. but it can be quite expensive.

A diff brace and M/T ET Streets allow you to launch at 6k+ all day long. Venimus03 is an animal with stock half-shafts.

Oh and thanks for the kind words! :beer:

Last edited:

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
A diff brace and M/T ET Streets allow you to launch at 6k+ all day long. Venimus03 is an animal with stock half-shafts.

Oh and thanks for the kind words! :beer:

This is true, Stock 31 spline half shafts, + MT ETs and my diff brace, I was launching at 5500rpm, and it was loving it. No hop at all, just a little spin and it hooking hard.

I actually marked a line from the tire to the wheel to see if the tire rotated on the wheel after a hard launch at 15psi in the ETs. It moved about 1in. And thats with 275 ETs. thats probably the absoulte lowest you want to go on a drag radial with a N/A car with just bolt ons.

04Mach1Blurr

Established Member
SOS: from the stance of your mach, i wouldnt have regret it neither. I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOUR CAR. lol

04mach1blurr and mystic, thanks for the input, that really helped me make a decision. i wanna go with it and dont plan on installing a blower or making any serious power anytime soon. i just heard that the halfshafts snap easily, but they're easy and cheap to replace. and i know ive heard of built rear ends handling a solid launch just as good, if not better than an SRA. but it can be quite expensive.

Also, it helps to research about each axle and how certain changes can better it. Do a search on wheel hop and youll see that the fix is usually just some bushings at a minimal, but you can help eliminate it by your tire choice, more bushings (Full Tilt Boogie Racing is a shop owned by a member on here who designed mild to built IRS gear, also has videos to show you the difference, or how to work on the IRS), differential brace ect.. With eliminating hop, it significatly reduces the chance of snapping a halfshaft. And remember, more people who do snap them are drag racing them with a FI car.

jonv0305

Established Member
that's very true, i appreciate the help guys. ill be doing this swap with quikcobra sometime the end of this week or maybe next depending on both of our schedules. a couple of my buddies are telling me not to, but i've been wanting to do it for a while and my friend's 99 cobra never had snapped halfshafts. quikcobra has frpp 3.73 gears, urethane bushings all around and the diff brace. so other than that, ill most likely be getting mosser 31 splines and i should be set.

NJ 03Mach1

Hillclimbers do it better
Established Member
Best swap ever!

Still don't regret mine..

However, all you actually need to swap, is exhaust and pinion flanges. Every thing else will work with the Mach don't need different sensors, or anything.

That is all I swapped when I did mine.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
So you kept the ABS sensors and shocks from the SRA and swapped them over to the IRS? I find that hard to believe since the ABS sensors were at least 6" too short and mount differently then the IRS ABS sensors. Plus, the SRA shocks don't fit the mounting location on the control arm.

Users who are viewing this thread