Irs swap

jonv0305

Established Member
hey sorry quickcobra, i havent got on the computer much at all within the last few days. i just need to finish this motor swap and ill be down to get the rear end swap in the mach for sure. i have my motor for the fox done already, i finished it today. i just need to drop it in the car, bolt it up, put fluids and start her up. ill keep in touch, sorry for the wait and thanks for the patience.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
NJ 03 Mach----what all is done to your IRS? mine has had a vibe for a long time now and I haven't figured it out. Did yours ever do this? I've got the aluminum driveshaft and have indexed it every which way. No luck. Thanks in advance for any knowledge you drop.

quikcobra

Established Member
311-420 Have you tried to take the driveshaft to get balanced? Or gotten a alignment? If the tires are feathered (Badly) it may cause a slight vibe.

Jon yea man just let me know.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
311-420 Have you tried to take the driveshaft to get balanced? Or gotten a alignment? If the tires are feathered (Badly) it may cause a slight vibe.

Jon yea man just let me know.

I have not had it balanced. I didn't think the brand new one from Neapco (aka Ford Racing) would need to be. Don't they do that?

I'm beginning to suspect these crappy tires could be part of the problem. I'm switching them out soon. Also getting the new ones road force balanced and another rear alignment. Thank you for the input.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Almost forgot to add. I'm going to put in poly urethane differential mount bushings. Front and rear of diff. That should atleast make that part of the system better than new. And from what I understand those are the biggest problems with the IRS.

quikcobra

Established Member
Yea, The bushing help alot.

Im unsure if they balance the DS or not. But if that thing is unbalanced with can destroy the diff over time.

TheMrMach

Established Member
I guess my vibration was my wheels spacers beginning to loosen themselves, so I yanked em off, just gonna look into a wider wheel now, checked all the bolts, the driveshaft bolts etc, everything is tight and bueno.

and I need to readjust one side of my exhaust.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I guess my vibration was my wheels spacers beginning to loosen themselves, so I yanked em off, just gonna look into a wider wheel now, checked all the bolts, the driveshaft bolts etc, everything is tight and bueno.

and I need to readjust one side of my exhaust.

So your vibe went away after you removed the spacers?

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
Almost forgot to add. I'm going to put in poly urethane differential mount bushings. Front and rear of diff. That should atleast make that part of the system better than new. And from what I understand those are the biggest problems with the IRS.

To properly set pinion angle (and to help reduce drive-line vibration), you may want to invest in solid, spherical bushings.

IRS differential mounts, aluminum, pinion angle adjustable, 1999-04 Cobra [MMIRSB-40.1] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
To properly set pinion angle (and to help reduce drive-line vibration), you may want to invest in solid, spherical bushings.

IRS differential mounts, aluminum, pinion angle adjustable, 1999-04 Cobra [MMIRSB-40.1] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

I know it takes the aluminum ones to set the pinion angle but I'm going to give the poly ones a shot since they are so cheap. I don't want to hear the gear whine with the aluminum ones, but if the poly ones don't work then I'll just bite the bullet.

Thanks though.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
yep. gonna monitor it a bit closer during these nitrous tuning runs tomorrow.

Cool. I hope after I replace my hubs and tires this problem will be resolved. Maybe the 40-50mph vibe is wheel/tire related....I sure hope so..

quikcobra

Established Member
Just the stud was stripped? Cant you just get another and run it threw with a couple washers and the lug nut?

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Just the stud was stripped? Cant you just get another and run it threw with a couple washers and the lug nut?

The shank of the stud stripped out inside the hub. I'm not going to hammer another stud through that already compromised hole and set myself up again for this same problem later.

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
Hey Jonv0305 or quikcobra if you need any more help I can help you guys. Me and another member did our swap. Just pm me and let me know.

quikcobra

Established Member
Yea man might as well grab a case and just get it done. As soon as I hear from him we could make a date to swap it. Itll take me an hour to pull mine since its already on stands. We could drop his and install my IRS, Heck maybe help him with his engine if he needs it.

I have to admit I am a Subaru guy also and you RARELY find people wanting or even knowing how to work on them.

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
I don't mind helping out if I can. But I do have a question for you guys. Do you guys think you can help me change my diff gasket while we are working on cars? I know that my diff is leaking and I have never taking a part a IRS before. I did the IRS swap and would have no problem doing the swap again, but as I say I have never taking a part a IRS and I am afraid to take it a part by myself. I will bring the gasket and the gear oil and a case of beer. But where do I get the grey rtv sealer?

Users who are viewing this thread