Is a '93 cobra trans worth any more than a typical T5?

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
I actually like challenges like this. It only further expands our learning while doing research in support of our own ideas.

I don't have that book, but I've been wanting to pick one up. Looks to be a good read.

I'll have my trans out in the next night or two, and I'll post up what I find. It's never been out as far as I can tell, so it should be a pretty good indicator.

:beer:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
FWIW, I just sold the T5 for $500 locally.

It did have a steel bearing retainer on it, however it seems that trans has been apart at one point, so I can't verify that it was steel from the factory.

The trans tag read "F3ZR-7003-AA".

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
19Cobra93. The statement that 'twisted' put up was where I got my info that the same tranny was put in all V-8 fox mustangs by mid year.

Also the 93 Cobra did NOT come with a steel retainer. That was one of my first upgrades to my car 8 years ago. your info was the first I heard of 94-95 cobras coming with a steel retainer from OEM.

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
As far as the steel bearing retainer, I know for a fact the '94-95 cobra only trans got it from the factory (regular 5.0's didn't), but I can't say for sure about the '93 cobra trans. I'll have mine out in a couple days so I'll let you know.

Bringing this back up for a couple of reasons...I just pulled the T-5 out of my Cobra tonight to replace the TOB. What I found was not a bad TOB, but a galled and worn shaft on the bearing retainer. I am not going to start a war and state the F3ZR trans didn't come with a steel retainer, but the one I just took of mine is NOT. I am not the original owner, so I couldn't say for sure that it wasn't replaced. Although why someone would replace a steel one with an aluminum one is beyond me.
The second question is this: I have ordered the FMS steel bearing retainer, this will work on our Cobra transmissions right? I ask because I am not sure if there would be a difference due to ours having the tapered roller bearing vs the needle bearing. It appears the race will still fit in the same place.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
fromme said:
Bringing this back up for a couple of reasons...I just pulled the T-5 out of my Cobra tonight to replace the TOB. What I found was not a bad TOB, but a galled and worn shaft on the bearing retainer. I am not going to start a war and state the F3ZR trans didn't come with a steel retainer, but the one I just took of mine is NOT. I am not the original owner, so I couldn't say for sure that it wasn't replaced. Although why someone would replace a steel one with an aluminum one is beyond me.
The second question is this: I have ordered the FMS steel bearing retainer, this will work on our Cobra transmissions right? I ask because I am not sure if there would be a difference due to ours having the tapered roller bearing vs the needle bearing. It appears the race will still fit in the same place.
yes it will work :thumbsup:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Yes, it will work.

Also, despite some info on the internet, I think we've determined the '93 cobra trans did NOT have the steel bearing retainer as previously thought.

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
I'm putting a Tremec in my '93. The original T5 is perfect so I'm going to just sell it before I break it. I have no intention of putting this car back to stock so there's no reason to keep it.

My question is, does this T5 have any more value than that of a typical world class T5? I know the '93 cobra trans was the only fox trans to get the unique "pocket" tapered input bearing. Does this make it worth more? What's the value of my trans? It's flawless with 86K on it, and a Pro 5.0 shifter.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
It's hard to tell what people find value in, but pretty much any '93 cobra specific part, people eat right up.

Yes, I'd say the '93 cobra trans is more valuable than a typical T5. Whether it's to someone putting a '93 back together, or someone just needing another trans to replace a broken one.

Bullitt54

5.4 Anti-Venom
Established Member
I believe another unique feature was the reverse syncro. I have only seen this feature on the Cobra trans I have had apart. I know that the 94 Cobra T5had a steel retainer and pocket bearing, not sure about the 93. Several unique parts.

The Cobra trans is basically a T5Z with a wide ratio gearset....

Strangely enough, Tremec rates the newer V6 T5's as 300+ ft/lb. I used a T5 from a 99 v6 behind a 351w. I redrilled the flywheel and bolted it right up bell housing and all.(Bonus:99 V6 has an 11in clutch).

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
gboger said:

Wow, just wow. I can't believe you had the balls to say that after all the discussion that has taken place in this thread, by people in the know. You did bring your flame suit, correct? :burn:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
gboger said:

Strangely enough, Tremec rates the newer V6 T5's as 300+ ft/lb. I used a T5 from a 99 v6 behind a 351w. I redrilled the flywheel and bolted it right up bell housing and all.(Bonus:99 V6 has an 11in clutch).
Yes, the '93 cobra trans is similar to the T5Z, but still not the same.

The '96 and up V6 T5 is basically the same thing as the '94-95 GT Trans. Same HP rating and input shaft and probably most everything else.

You bolted a V6 bellhousing to a 351 windsor? I'd like to know how you accomplished that.

Bullitt54

5.4 Anti-Venom
Established Member
fromme said:
Wow, just wow. I can't believe you had the balls to say that after all the discussion that has taken place in this thread, by people in the know. You did bring your flame suit, correct? :burn:

Flame suit on....
HA Ha, Really got me there dude :bash:

By the way, how many T5's have you taken apart. Or do you just grind them up and let other people fix them for you...

Seems like some of these "People in the know" don't know as much as they think!! I have no problem being schooled when I am wrong. :read:

Last edited:

Bullitt54

5.4 Anti-Venom
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
Yes, the '93 cobra trans is similar to the T5Z, but still not the same.

The '96 and up V6 T5 is basically the same thing as the '94-95 GT Trans. Same HP rating and input shaft and probably most everything else.

You bolted a V6 bellhousing to a 351 windsor? I'd like to know how you accomplished that.

3.8, 5.0, & 5.8 = Same bellhousing bolt pattern
Auto trans is same also.

3.8 Flywheel(99) has same bolt pattern but is smaller metric size, don't know when this changed, used to be the same (early 90's). I have also used 3.8 auto trans for 5.0, works fine in a pinch.

I didn't say the Cobra trans was exactly the same as T5Z, dang close to it. I have a T5z sitting in my garage right now. I did have a 94 Cobra T5 until recently, so I got to do a pretty good side by side comparison.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
gboger said:
I believe another unique feature was the reverse syncro. I have only seen this feature on the Cobra trans I have had apart. I know that the 94 Cobra T5had a steel retainer and pocket bearing, not sure about the 93. Several unique parts.

).
I will agree with that. The only difference in the cobra tranny's and t-5z's is the gear ratio and the bearing retainer.

I also agree with the unique reverse synchro. That was something we noticed on my OEM tranny rebuild and my t-5z. Other 5.0 tranny's did not have that.

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
Damn I thought this had died.

Just an FYI gbooger many people on this board and this thread for that matter have rebuilt T5 trannys. We have broken them, bought them, replaced them, and upgraded them internally. And I believe 19Cobra93 is a dealer of them.

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
twisted89GT said:
Damn I thought this had died.

Just an FYI gbooger many people on this board and this thread for that matter have rebuilt T5 trannys. We have broken them, bought them, replaced them, and upgraded them internally. And I believe 19Cobra93 is a dealer of them.

I think I could do it in my sleep now. Very handy knowledge when you break them as much as I do.

One of these days I am going to get a tranny that can hold up to my abuse. 3rd gear hates me :D

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
I think I could do it in my sleep now. Very handy knowledge when you break them as much as I do.

One of these days I am going to get a tranny that can hold up to my abuse. 3rd gear hates me :D

My pro-Motion built T5 went 11.07 and still lives. Gforce builds a damn sturdy box also.

phorty

Established Member
Thanks guys! I've learned quite a bit from reading all this. So correct me if I'm wrong:

1) All fox T5's are interchangeable. I can use a '91 5.0 T5 in my '93 Cobra if I want with no misc parts, and vice versa, correct?
2) 94+ V8 T5's (and '96+ V6 T5's) can be used in a fox 5.0 with an input shaft swap (not sure if that's easy to do or not).

Users who are viewing this thread