Is a '93 cobra trans worth any more than a typical T5?

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
phorty said:
Thanks guys! I've learned quite a bit from reading all this. So correct me if I'm wrong:

1) All fox T5's are interchangeable. I can use a '91 5.0 T5 in my '93 Cobra if I want with no misc parts, and vice versa, correct?
2) 94+ V8 T5's (and '96+ V6 T5's) can be used in a fox 5.0 with an input shaft swap (not sure if that's easy to do or not).

For question 1 most people on this thread will agree yes, but as I stated earlier my experience was different. After blowing the motor on my last 93 Cobra, I swapped in a 5.0 block out of a 89 lx but the cobra tranny would not mate up to it. Me nor many of my stang buddies could figure it out.

After being frustrated, we towed the car to a svt certified ford dealer and they couldn't get it to work either. The tranny was about 1/8" from mating to the bellhousing. The SVT tech said we would need to use a bellhousing from a 94-95. Sure enough that worked. Apparently the sn bellhousings are just a tad longer.

I'm still not sure why I had to go this route because the block i swaped in was from a 89 but if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
UWISSSH said:
After being frustrated, we towed the car to a svt certified ford dealer and they couldn't get it to work either. The tranny was about 1/8" from mating to the bellhousing. The SVT tech said we would need to use a bellhousing from a 94-95. Sure enough that worked. Apparently the sn bellhousings are just a tad longer.

I'm still not sure why I had to go this route because the block i swaped in was from a 89 but if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

I think we have already covered this but..

The tranny problems you experienced had to be because the tranny from the LX was from a sn95. That is the only logical reason I can come up with since I was not there

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
UWISSSH said:
Apparently the sn bellhousings are just a tad longer.

It's closer to 1/2" difference. And yes, the only reasoning would be that the '89 had a trans from a '94-later car. Nothing prior to that year had the longer input shaft so it's not like it was accidently put in there back in '89.

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
I think we have already covered this but..

The tranny problems you experienced had to be because the tranny from the LX was from a sn95. That is the only logical reason I can come up with since I was not there

I didn't go back and re-read the whole thread so sorry for digging up old dirt. If i didn't state it before, the donor car was stock down to the intake silencer which is why i doubt it had a sn-anything on it but I never pulled part numbers so i cant say for sure. Obviously you guys know way more about these tranny's so I will go with what you say :thumbsup:

The only other thing i could add was that after the car was back together, I snapped the clutch cable at the drag strip. I suspected it was because it was being stretched that extra 1/8" for a while. I mean, it's not too often you see that break down at the race track

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
UWISSSH said:
I didn't go back and re-read the whole thread so sorry for digging up old dirt. If i didn't state it before, the donor car was stock down to the intake silencer which is why i doubt it had a sn-anything on it but I never pulled part numbers so i cant say for sure. Obviously you guys know way more about these tranny's so I will go with what you say :thumbsup:

The only other thing i could add was that after the car was back together, I snapped the clutch cable at the drag strip. I suspected it was because it was being stretched that extra 1/8" for a while. I mean, it's not too often you see that break down at the race track

no problem on 'digging up old dirt'. Unless you know the history on any given vehicle, you can never assume what is on the car just because it is stock.

Clutch cables are not a rare occurence to break. It is actually very common

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
Clutch cables are not a rare occurence to break. It is actually very common
Yep, I snapped one on my '91 LX 5.0 (stock trans) a couple years ago, and it feels like it's about to go again.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Not all input shafts are interchangable though. If you have a '93 cobra trans, the only other input shaft that will work is the longer one from a '94-'95 cobra trans. The regular 5.0 T5 inputs won't interchange with the cobra trans because of that unique pocket bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread