Is it too risky to drop 25k on a used srt8 jeep w/o a warranty?

WillyBob98

First On Race Day
Established Member
My wife and I will be shopping around soon for a new family vehicle. We have a mazda 3 thats in great shape and paid off. We also have an old jeep liberty that is nearly paid off but we want to get rid of it soon. We will be looking in the $20k-$30k price range. We also have a 18 month old child and will be hopefully having another baby sometime in the next 2 years.

Having said all of that. I have been dreaming of getting back into a performance vehicle. I figured the srt8 jeep is perfect. With it being an auto I know my wife wouldnt mind driving it. We would be swapping the new vehicle and the mazda every other week, so she needs to like the vehicle. 4 door 4x4 trucks are out of the question :bored:. The problem is, to find one in that price range it would have to be used with no warranty. Is that just dumb to spend that kind of money on a daily driven family ride :shrug:

Side note: we are not working with much of a bank roll. Wer can easily afford a vehicle in that price range but not a major repair in the near future. I am currently waiting to hear back on a much higher paying job but as of right now my wife and I are both teachers.

Last edited:

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
I have no experience with the SRT8s personally, so I'll let others chime in on that. My first thought to your question was "Can he get an aftermarket warranty?". I personally wouldn't spend that much if I couldn't afford to cover an unexpected repair and it didn't have a warranty.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I had my 2008 SRT8 Jeep for almost 3 years. Rock solid. Traded it with 48k miles. Never once in the dealer other than routine maintenance. These Jeeps are tough and well built.

WillyBob98

First On Race Day
Established Member
I have no experience with the SRT8s personally, so I'll let others chime in on that. My first thought to your question was "Can he get an aftermarket warranty?". I personally wouldn't spend that much if I couldn't afford to cover an unexpected repair and it didn't have a warranty.

Right, it does sound silly even asking the question while knowing we're not sitting on ton of cash.
But, I need to check to see how much the car dealer would charge for a warranty on top of the sale price. I do know, certified used, those jeeps push $40k.

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
If you buy from a dealer they offer extended warranty and can put that in the financing. I bought a used 09 jeep and put 5 years and 75000 miles from purchased date for 2000.00

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Not everyone beats on them.

There are a couple of them in my neighborhood driven by soccer mom and they have never seen full throttle. They are all leased and get turned in after three or four years.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
make sure you budget for brakes/tires/gas. very expensive. other than that I have heard good things.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Bought my SRT two years ago, no warranty. I've drive it hard every chance I get, the engine/drive train has been rock solid with routine maintenance.

make sure you budget for brakes/tires/gas. very expensive. other than that I have heard good things.

Not really...

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
My 07 SRT8 just turned over 100k. I drive it like a butthead daily and race it occasionally. It is modded, including LTs, a cam and nitrous for the track.

I would drive this thing anywhere without hesitation

Repairs since 2008:
-burnt up transfer case, driver error (not me)
-snapped timing chain tensioner at 85k at the track (no other damage)
-replaced front driveshaft because of worn out CV joint at 98k

Like others have said, look into an aftermarket warranty and make sure you have an independent mechanic that you trust check it out. With regular maintenance, these things run like champs are a ton of fun to drive!

wormriddle

Established Member
Get the extended warranty through Dodge. I did that when I bought a 06 Wrangler Unlimited. I was $100 deductible and was about $2200 for the whole thing. When I traded it in a couple years later I was able to sell back the remainder of my warranty, got $1300 for it. I asked if I could sell it back as a joke really but was told I could and that not many people do that cause they don't know.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Bought my SRT two years ago, no warranty. I've drive it hard every chance I get, the engine/drive train has been rock solid with routine maintenance.

Not really...

Are the Chargers and Jeeps the same?

Serious question.

ryguy84

Established Member
My wife and I will be shopping around soon for a new family vehicle. We have a mazda 3 thats in great shape and paid off. We also have an old jeep liberty that is nearly paid off but we want to get rid of it soon. We will be looking in the $20k-$30k price range. We also have a 18 month old child and will be hopefully having another baby sometime in the next 2 years.

Having said all of that. I have been dreaming of getting back into a performance vehicle. I figured the srt8 jeep is perfect. With it being an auto I know my wife wouldnt mind driving it. We would be swapping the new vehicle and the mazda every other week, so she needs to like the vehicle. 4 door 4x4 trucks are out of the question :bored:. The problem is, to find one in that price range it would have to be used with no warranty. Is that just dumb to spend that kind of money on a daily driven family ride :shrug:

Side note: we are not working with much of a bank roll. Wer can easily afford a vehicle in that price range but not a major repair in the near future. I am currently waiting to hear back on a much higher paying job but as of right now my wife and I are both teachers.

How many miles are on it? If it was well taken care of and all the fluids were changed in the diffs that thing will run for a long time. Im on my second jeep srt. The only thing that I hated about the first generation jeep srt was how small the gas tank was and interior space. The new jeep srt is bigger and actually has a cruising range.

Last edited:

Fuerza

Established Member
Given the comment about wanting more kids and needing a family vehicle and not having money for warranty work ect.

I think you are out of your league. Drop the idea of a performance vehicle and get a reliable family car with a warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread