Is jl audio really that much better

G's Shelby

Established Member
Im trying to put together a system for my car and want to do it right. All roads seem to lead to jl or sundown for subs and focal or jl for compents. As you know this will cost in the 2500 range and I was just wondering can it be done right for less?

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
JL is good.
But there are other good things aswell.

I see many on the US forums screaming about JL, that it's a gift from god or something.

Focal and JL doesn't compare imo. They are 2 very different things.

I've had a JL 12w7 in my car. Nice subwoofer, no doubt. But for the same money as the 12w7 I bought 4x DD1508's and those were mind blowing spectacular.
Components for SQ, DLS makes some very good stuff. So does Focal, and DD, and JL etc.
You should seriously look in to Digital Design.
I had in my car, 4x DD 1508's subs powered by two Mosconi 300.2 (I think that was the name of them?).
Front system were DD aswell where the woofers were powered by a DLS Ultimate A3 and tweeters powered by a DLS Ultimate TA2 (tube amp).
It was more in the "SQL" sense of build.

Anyways, many people will tell you JL is best in "everything". They aren't.
What you should mention, is your goal with the build. SQ or SPL? What music do you like?

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Im trying to put together a system for my car and want to do it right. All roads seem to lead to jl or sundown for subs and focal or jl for compents. As you know this will cost in the 2500 range and I was just wondering can it be done right for less?

Good, yes. Great, yes. Similar or better performance can be had for less money.

Everything Lemmi said is on point. Some people still do builds with 90s era ppi art series amps and mbq components, and it still sounds great.

goals for the system and budget are most important for framing in what you will be able to work with.

TK Doom

Established Member
I bought a JL Audio stealthbox for each of my Terminators.

That was back in 05, still working perfectly today.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I like my Diamond Audio subs and amps. This was prior to ownership change though. I am switching from Infinity to Image Dynamics for my component sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000gt4.6

Established Member
What kind of money range are we talking about for the DD setup to say go full system with best possible sound quality?

Thought of doing the SHO but I don't want to loose the navigation system setup for the stereo.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
What kind of money range are we talking about for the DD setup to say go full system with best possible sound quality?

Thought of doing the SHO but I don't want to loose the navigation system setup for the stereo.

1/2 from a similar JL setup.

Don't know exactly, but most things can also be bought second hand.
I had 3 different systems in my car. Now I've sold it all and I actually made money on it. Believe or not.
Bought my DLS TA2 amp for $300 4 years ago, sold it 3 weeks ago for $900. Picked up my four DD 1508's for next to nothing. Sold them for almost double of what I bought them for.

Coiled03

Established Member
JL Audio? Better? :lol:

Better than paper cone speakers, sure.

Most over-rated stuff on the market IMHO.

LD5050

37OH55V
Established Member
Just like saying GT500s are overrated. You can go faster in a tt civic for half the price.
You want quality? Spend money. You want cheap performance? Do your research and cut corners, you can hit much higher SPLs for a lot less money.
As far as door speakers, Focal are tits. I have JL, but look at it this way - the most expensive JL door speakers are less than a grand retail. The most expensive Focal door speakers are $20k+. Not that you would be spending that, but the $300 (or whatever your budget) speaker often borrows tech from the higher end models. Focal has a much more extensive and advanced line to borrow tech and features from than JL or comparable brands. Just my 2 cents.

I was in a position to go with a 13w7, so I did. No ragrats. I wouldn't think less of someone who went with 4 DD 8"s because I'm not a douchebag, but not everyone lives on a 2 way street. :coolman:

G's Shelby

Established Member
All these responses are great. I would like to be 1500 or less if possible. I'm going to go with 6.5 compents for the doors, 6x8 for the rear and 1 or 2 12s in the trunk. I think that can be had for 1500 or less.

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
All these responses are great. I would like to be 1500 or less if possible. I'm going to go with 6.5 compents for the doors, 6x8 for the rear and 1 or 2 12s in the trunk. I think that can be had for 1500 or less.

Check out my build, less than 1500 for everything (although I already had one 10w3-v3). I am a JL fanboy though. But its because I have never had a single problem with any of them in 15 years.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ng-during-the-install-next-weekend&highlight=

Still waiting to get a custom box done.

Also I am not a fan of rear fill so just went with high end 5x8's in the front and disconnected the rears.. It sounds fantastic and is stupid loud if needed (and clear) with 100w going to each one.

Last edited:

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Go somewhere that has a demo set up and listen for yourself to determine what you prefer. When it comes to audio equipment, it's just like cars. The majority of people just go with brand x because they are simply brand loyal.

oldmodman

Established Member
I only have a couple of JL products. And I bought them all used (cheap). But I am quite satisfied with both of them.

A Stealthbox for my 92 Explorer and a home sub woofer. I have never heard their in door speakers. Bu I have heard some of the others mentioned and when I listened to them at CES they were gigantic improvement over stock Ford speakers.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
JL is overpriced IMO and there is better out there.

I'll see if T-fade can chime in. I respect his opinion over just about anybody.

Formula51

Established Member
Let me preface this by saying it has been a long time since I built a system, but I built a few back in the day and my uncle did professional car stereo installs for over 10 years.

Back when I did it (10-15 years ago) I preferred MB Quart speakers, McIntosh amps, JL Audio subs, and a Nakamichi or Alpine head unit. On more of a budget, Rockford Fosgate Power a2 series amps were great, PPI subs and amps were also a good choice, Eclipse subs, and you could get by with pioneer or infinity speakers with good clean power on them. I think most of that would still hold true today. Hope that helps.

G's Shelby

Established Member
Let me preface this by saying it has been a long time since I built a system, but I built a few back in the day and my uncle did professional car stereo installs for over 10 years.

Back when I did it (10-15 years ago) I preferred MB Quart speakers, McIntosh amps, JL Audio subs, and a Nakamichi or Alpine head unit. On more of a budget, Rockford Fosgate Power a2 series amps were great, PPI subs and amps were also a good choice, Eclipse subs, and you could get by with pioneer or infinity speakers with good clean power on them. I think most of that would still hold true today. Hope that helps.

It does help, thank you.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I loved my Infinity Components, they just suck at mid bass reproduction. I hope the Image Dynamics do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread