is my car ok?

LS1-Larry

Established Member
I have an 03 Cobra with approx 93xxx miles
So I did a high speed run up to 140mph on Sunday night and let out after I shifted in to 5th gear for a second.....then just dropped it to neutral and coasted down to about 75 or 80mph then my car shut off about 100mph after I slapped it in to neutral....once I hit 80mph I started it back up and it turned right on.
Any how the next day I started noticing upon start up that a puff of white smoke will come out every other start....not everytime but every other start.
Could I have hurt my motor should I be worried is there anything i should check on??
There dosent appear to be any smoke while driving but I did rev it earlier and a lil white smoke came out.

Last edited:

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
from my knowledge of reading and reading more... never do wot runs in 5th or 6th for any decent amount of time ... i hope nothing is hurt... but something def has happened

Speed Demon

Established Member
white smoke is generally coolant I'd at least pull the plugs and make sure there wasn't any signs of burned coolant on the plugs.
5th/6th gear pulls will overheat the engine in a hurry and possibly do some severe damage

Jroc

Established Member
You should be fine. Terminators just kind of smoke alot when cold in general. It sounds like your car just stalled out, again pretty common for Terminators. Mine will do it sometimes if I get down on it and then take a load off the motor right after I get off the throttle.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You never noticed any white smoke before? Are you sure it hasn't been happening but maybe you didn't notice it until you had the stalling issue after the high speed run?

I wouldn't assume the worse. Sometimes after doing something that is generally not recommended (high speed run to 140+ in 6th gear) our mind can suddenly see/hear/feel things that were there before but just not noticed. I would definitely check your plugs. You'll either see something that might necessitate more checks, or gain great peace of mind when you find they're normal.

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
With all the discussions on here on what NOT to do speed-wise, I can't believe people are still doing it.

Have your fun on the street from 0-100 and don't boost in 5th or 6th!! Hell I rarely get in to boost in 4th because you can row through third and be at 90 or so.

sykal

Banned
he said he was in 5th for a second or so. (he said 140)

there isnt a damn bit of difference between boosting all the way through 4th, and boost all 4th and 1 second in 5th.

boost over time is what kills these motors.

like people said, check your plugs. make sure everything is just in your head.
don't boost in 5th or 6th gear, but don't for a second think that boosting in 5th for 1 second is what damaged your car.
it will do the same damage all of 4th gear will do.

divided

Established Member

there isnt a damn bit of difference between boosting all the way through 4th, and boost all 4th and 1 second in 5th.

don't boost in 5th or 6th gear, but don't for a second think that boosting in 5th for 1 second is what damaged your car.

Agreed. :beer:

RussZTT

Established Member
Sure its white smoke and not just condensation? Sometimes a car will shut off at high speeds when you put it in neutral due to strange air turbulence entering the air filter. If your that worried, do a WARM compression test, that will tell you if anything is wrong. :beer:

RussZTT

Established Member

Actually, boost from the Eaton isn't what hurts these motors, its the heat that is created from them. Usually with a stock pulley boosting for short periods of time in higher gears is no where near as bad as doing it with a smaller pulley. :beer:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Sure its white smoke and not just condensation? Sometimes a car will shut off at high speeds when you put it in neutral due to strange air turbulence entering the air filter. If your that worried, do a WARM compression test, that will tell you if anything is wrong. :beer:

this.

you should be fine, but a compression tester is $20 at any local auto parts store, and its nice to know what sort of compression your motor is running at.

and hell, might as well do a spark plug change while you are there. boost loves to foul out plugs. Biggest cause of ignition related issues in boosted cars are fouled plugs.

Actually, boost from the Eaton isn't what hurts these motors, its the heat that is created from them. Usually with a stock pulley boosting for short periods of time in higher gears is no where near as bad as doing it with a smaller pulley. :beer:

its heatsoak mixed with lean tunes that most aftermarket tuners shoot for. 12.5:1 might be fine at stock power levels, but as you add boost and ramp up the power, you need to pull back the a/f ratio a bit to help with the heat issue. Richer afr's are cooler afr's, cooler afr's lead to happier pistons. Heat and piston expansion are what kills these motors.

you can take a bone stock termi and run through 5th and 6th gear all day long.

Last edited:

LS1-Larry

Established Member
Thanks to everyone for there input.........the car is no longer puffing out white smoke on start up as I have changed back to the TR6's gapped at about .34!!!!
The plugs I pulled looked a little white and 2 of them had a TINY smidge of oil on them but it seems fine now.....its still a little down on power as my K&N is dirty as hell and I believe i have a exhaust leak(wich killed power BIG TIME before).

Users who are viewing this thread