Is price of gas effecting driving habits yet?

LizardMan

Established Member
BradN01 said:
The bike is getting a lot more daily use now that it is getting warmer and not to mention the big difference in MPG. Its great to get the same performance as the Cobra and sip down 36 MPG....

You got that right brother! :rockon:

The Cobra's gas habit is easier to put up with when you only use it for fun, not commuting. Your insurance agent will also like the fact that you have a second ride. Often, to the point of it being cheaper to insure two rides rather than one.

The dealer didn't want to give me jack for my GT, so simply kept it as a daily driver. The insurance saving were amazing.

My real 'daily' is a bike, something the insurance people just don't seem to understand. The car pool lane is open to bikes, parking is often safer and closer at work, and if the traffic backs up on freeway here in CA you can split lanes.

In town, it get at least 32 MPG, the open road 48 MPG, on a couple of trips seen I've seen 53 MPG. :banana: It runs on 87 octane CA horse-pee gas, with four valve heads and 10:1 compression, it's ten years old and has far higher build quality. :coolman:

It's faster than the Cobra 0-60, 1/4 mile and 60-0. However, the Cobra is faster beyond less than half a mile. Bikes have major air drag problems. :lol1:

The GT has been a fine car, no major problems*, and uses CA 87 octane juice. A couple of my friends prefer the GT to the Cobra, they say the Cobra is too quiet, doesn't sound like a normal V-8, the shifter sucks and has too much drive-line lash. The GT is friendly compared to the Cobra.

*The temp gauge works most of the time, but will peg in the cold direction from time to time. It goes beyond the cold mark, off the scale to the left up against a stop in the meter. :cuss:

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
these gas prices will affect lots of things. i think the horsepower wars may come to an end soon just like they did in 1970. the suv population on the local car lots is increasing and they are on tv every day with tremendous rebates and discounts on expeditions and tahoes.we will see how long it takes the goverment to get involved :(

Last edited:

Chameleon

Established Member
The higher gas prices are definately going to effect my driving habits. I have decided I'm going to limit the amount that I used boost.

I have taken a boost vow...

I will only use boost during early morning hours.

I will occasionally use boost during the late morning hours if the need arises.

If forced to I will use boost at noon, but of course only if forced to.

During the early afternoon, when the roads are clear, I will endulge my primal urges and engage a moderate use of boost.

In the late afternoon, in order to safely murge on to the freeway, and therefore not create a hazardous road condition for other drivers, I will use boost. You see I'm only looking out others.

As late afternoon transitions to early evening I will use boost solely because the cooler air temperatures will allow me to maximize the use of my boost creating more power with a given level of fuel consumption. Therefore it is an economic time to use boost.

In the late evening I will use boost since the roads are completely clear of traffic and boost can be employed under safer conditions. After all.... safety first.

In the wee morning hours I may be obilgated to force feed the motor to avoid any perceived obstacles or road nuisances.

But I do solemly vow that I will NEVER, EVER use boost at dawn...

..unless of course I accidently, and without intention, apply too much pressure to the accelerator pedal.

Come on people are you with me?????

:rockon: :burnout: :beer:

Last edited:

cpu77

Armed and Dangerous!
Established Member
Well this seems like the early to mid 70's al over. Cars getting more powerful Fuel prices skyrocketing and the big 3 not doing much. I like my fun car but the SUV's really drive gas prices. I don't drive my cobra much so $3 gallon for 94 is not that big a deal. My audis get 25-28 per gallon so I think of gas prices as another part of the game of life. So why complain by something thats better on gas:) keep the cobra for fun!

94ShoOff

AKA Darkside
Established Member
I can't wait to get the Cobra out of storage, the Lightning is killing me on gas. The wifes' Suburban doesn't help either.:(

04cobratorchred

I Love Being Blown
Established Member
LTHL VNM said:
i feel ya!
but school is almost out and i plan to be bankin' again this summer. i'd like to get the cobra paid off before i come back to school in august, we'll see.....
but honestly, i'd rather be the 19yr old watching his bank account, paying for his own 04 cobra and ALL expenses that go along with it.....and keeping a good GPA, than the other 19+yr olds i know that are just worried about trying to figure out how they can get cash back at the grocerie store so they can go buy beer on their parent's dime without them knowing.

Couldn't have said it better. that good GPA is going to be a little more important to me in the later years.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
trendkilllx said:
$2.75 per gal here now for prem, find myself driving easy to safe gas, just wondering if effecting anyone else? Anyhow hopefully it will cycle back down.

Lets see, 12 mpg + $2.65 a gallon for premium = :xpl:

White04Cobra

Established Member
Since I run my own bussiness, I just raise my prices to make up the difference. The government keeps lying to us about inflation. Gas is 35% higher than it was a year ago. Real Estate prices are climbing here at unsustainable rates. A steak that cost 5.99 a pound 2 years ago is 10.99 a pound now. Interest rates are climbing along with the budget deficit and the trade defict. We are headed for a recession. The stock market will go down the toilet again.

I bought my Cobra because I figured it may be my last chance to own a real muscle car before the manufactuers shift production to more economical cars like they did in the 70's..

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
04cobratorchred said:
Couldn't have said it better. that good GPA is going to be a little more important to me in the later years.

that's the truth!

BADBOLT2

Established Member
johnny-longtors said:
They already are - what do you think composes 75-85% of the cost of a gallon of gas? It's taxes.

You know what's really odd...
I buy 101 Octane Unleaded Racing fuel from the pump at a local Mobil station before track outings and for YEARS it cost $3.99/gal.
About a yr. ago they raised the cost to $4.99/gal.
[comparable to VP Fuels prices at the track]

I find it odd that standard octane fuels can increase 50-60 cents a gal and the much "smaller in demand" race fuels remain the same!

It's all got to do with the the Economy and what the Government thinks they can get away with!
I knew a guy that owned a small independant gas station and they only see a few cents per gal. profit from fuel sales.[thus the popularity of the mini-mart concept]
There are very few "Full Service" gas stations left in our area.where a guy could get minor service work or even get a tire repaired.
The other day I took a different route to work and counted SEVEN closed down fenced off Full Service stations!

Sorry for the rant!

Back on topic,I only drive 7k miles/yr. and if it cost me an extra $20 a month to drive what I want,how I want,it's worth it to me.
My Wife drives an Expedition LTD that gets 11mpg.That one I do feel a bit!

04Venom

Established Member
My 04 is not a daily driver, but I doubt that gas mileage is of much concern to people that buy a Terminator in the first place.

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
I can't worry about it either.. My other car is a hemi ram, and I get like 11.5 MPG on that too..

Users who are viewing this thread