is there some car event going on in Gatlinburg TN right now?

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
So my wife and I have been in Gatlinburg since yesterday. As we're out and about today, I've noticed a handful vintage hot rods running around, and then I notice that one hotel parking lot is nearly covered with various Mustangs... then I see a couple nasty crammed and blown F-body Camaros.

I know its not time for Rod Run, and I usually see some hot cars driving around here. But it seems there's a high concentration of hot rods here right now. Anybody know what I'm missing out on?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ah, the Dragon. I'd love to make it there one day. A Mini Cooper club does the Dragon every year. I almost went last year but it didn't work out. It would definitely be a lot of fun going there with a group.

mavisky

Established Member
Gatlinburg is the opposite side of the park to be staying for running the dragon, but I suppose it gives the wives more to do than the cabins over on the SW side of the Smokies. It was a great weekend for it. We took about 40 Mustangs up through the hills in SC and NC on Saturday ourselves.

Zemedici

Established Member
Gatlinburg is the opposite side of the park to be staying for running the dragon, but I suppose it gives the wives more to do than the cabins over on the SW side of the Smokies. It was a great weekend for it. We took about 40 Mustangs up through the hills in SC and NC on Saturday ourselves.

:(

mavisky

Established Member
Join the Athens Area Mustang Group on facebook, they're the most active group I've found in the area by a large margin. I didn't get clearance from the wife until like 11:30 Friday night.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
The dragon sucks in my opinion. It's super damn curvy, like to the point you can't even accelerate. So many corners are blind corners. You have to be on the lookout for bikers taking corners wide and coming at you head on. The speed limit is like 35.

However, Great Smoky Mountain National Park is amazing. There's some amazing trails out there. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a much better drive. Also, Gatlinburg to Cherokee via 441 is also a better drive. Take a stop half way at the state line and enjoy the view. Also take a small detour up to Clingman's Dome, and make the 1/4th mile walk up to the lookout tower.

mavisky

Established Member
The dragon sucks in my opinion. It's super damn curvy, like to the point you can't even accelerate. So many corners are blind corners. You have to be on the lookout for bikers taking corners wide and coming at you head on. The speed limit is like 35.

However, Great Smoky Mountain National Park is amazing. There's some amazing trails out there. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a much better drive. Also, Gatlinburg to Cherokee via 441 is also a better drive. Take a stop half way at the state line and enjoy the view. Also take a small detour up to Clingman's Dome, and make the 1/4th mile walk up to the lookout tower.

I would agree with this. Hell I felt like a good mod would be a power steering cooler after running on it. The roads aroudn there and anywhere in the North GA, East TN, or West NC/SC area have the potential to be as good if not better.

Users who are viewing this thread