Is there value in maintaining a bone stock, unmolested '04 Terminator as is?

lx347cid

Established Member
I agree with most. Modify it the way you want. If your happy with the power now then keep it stock. But if your like most of us and want more performance then modify it. Mine has 16K miles on it and do most bolt on mods but will I keep all my stock parts. So if I ever wanted to sell it if the value sky rockets on these cars its easy to go back to stock.

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
You answered your own question, these cars will most certainly and already are collectable? Not uncommon to see nice examples selling for near what they were new ! They made 20,000 Buick Grand Nationals as well , they aren't collectable? The 03/04 Cobra is the grandfather to everything you see today , before them supercharging was rare if not non existent for a production vehicle , now everything is supercharged , not to mention the 03/04 Cobra with simple bolt ons is still relevant to this day ! These cars will spank or run with almost everything made today with simple bolt on mods . I still feel these motors are the best bang for your buck Ford has ever produced , My Cobra has 7k miles and lays down 686 rwhp with bolt ons !! I also have All the stock parts !!

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

No, these cars will NOT be a collectible anytime soon. You're comparing a 30 year old GNX to a 14 year old Cobra? The prices of these cars are all over the board and I only see a few that can sell near what they were new. Only exception I can think of is a sub <5k miles SB, CO, or Mystichrome coupe that might bring $30k to the right buyer who wants it bad enough. I'm not even going to debate about the 03/04 Cobra's being the car that "started it all," LOL

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Okay, seems everyone wants to debate keep original or modify. There is NO end to that debate. So, I will provide my opinion based on your original question:

Is there value in maintaining a bone stock, unmolested '04 Terminator as is?

My answer is simple..... YES THERE IS. Period.

No matter what car it is a buyer will ALWAYS prefer an original car over a modified one. Most people, not all, spend huge amounts of money to put a car back to the way it was when it rolled off the production line.

And if you research this thread time and time again people here ALWAYS say modifications add ZERO value to these cars.

So, YES a bone stock Cobra WILL bring in more money down the road. Condition and miles will determine how much that will or could be........

jmcgliss

Established Member
All I can say is we made deeper friendships enjoying our car at road course track days than at car shows. We also won all of our 1st place show trophies showing the car covered with brake dust and tire gum from the prior week's lapping event - to the dismay of the chrome-and-polish-everything guys.
However, the -03's and 04's are holding their value better than 96-02 cars. But that's different than saying they will all skyrocket in value. Just my $.02.

jrichber

browser
Established Member
It all comes down to mileage!!! A bone stock car under 5K miles will bring great money. But if you offer me an 80K mile stock car vs 80K mile twin screw... I'm going to go with the twin screw.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
To the OP, consider your audience... you are asking your question to a bunch of guys on a car forum that basically specializes in modding cars.

From a collector's standpoint: are these cars "collectible?" How does one define "collectible?" For me, I would define it as a cool, limited-production car that has stopped depreciating. Our cars were made for 2-years only and were a huge leap from previous models. The 03/04 is definitely a collector car, it's just not old enough to be a "classic" yet. I see values in these cars holding and slowly ticking upward, which is all good.

Is there value in an unmolested car? Most certainly. Once these cars reach "classic status," virgin/unmolested examples will be at the top of the price range. Having said that, these cars can easily be moderately modified and returned to stock with very little evidence of the prior mods.

In my small collection, I have a 93 Cobra, which I consider collectible since it was a one year only car. I have a 00R which was a one year car with only 300 made. I have the Mystichrome vert which was basically a one year car when you factor in the color changing aspect. Lastly I have a 2011 GT500, which is my only heavily modded car and the only car that is still depreciating. I don't consider the Shelby a collector car, so I play with it often.

It's all a matter of perspective. If you only plan to keep the car a couple years and it's your only "fun" car, mod the heck out of it, enjoy the crap out of it and pass it along to the next owner. If you plan to keep the car long term, consider leaving it pure.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
You'll get plenty of different opinions on this subject. Do with it, what you will, it's a personal choice. I have a low miles (5,950) Mystichome coupe that I've modified to my liking. I could care less what other people are doing with these cars, do what you like and like what you do.

Except for driving it

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
the car's boring as shit bone stock. when i put my stock pulley back on my 03 it felt like it had a few pistons missing. no way id want to drive it like that. and theyre not super exciting to look at bone stock either. they look killer with a drop. sound killer with exhaust. all mods which can easily be put back to stock without much evidence.
convertibles are not in demand cars. believe me, took me a year to give mine a way. unless its SB, CO or MC. even then, theyre nowhere near in demand like the coupes. so having a 30k mile convertible.....it doesnt really matter right now. in 40-50 years? when 90% are trashed, wrecked or have 200k miles. sure, it would be awesome. but then you're not driving the car forever.
and when it comes to badass classic muscle cars, the coupes are the ones in demand over the verts.

if you dont plan to keep the car, mildly mod it and enjoy it. then return to stock to sell it. even if you park it for 5 years and add NO miles to it. you'll probably get what you paid for it. maybe a few bucks more. there's still many low mileage examples out there. also, the hardcore terminator crowd will stick around im sure but many will move on to other cars. so the pool of buyers will not be as big 5 years from now as it is right now. which im sure is less than it was 5 years ago.

as far as grand nationals and the like, how many are selling for $50k and up? how many people are looking to spend that kind of coin on one? im sure its pretty limited.
here's a GN with mileage like OPs. all original. at a stealership. with a BIN price of $28.5k. almost double in value!! no bad for sitting on it for 30 years with the occasional trip to the local soda fountain.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Buick-...ash=item41cebcdd82:g:eFIAAOSwk9dZowrm&vxp=mtr

keep in mind, the GN sold for $16,600 new in 1987. in today's dollars that would be $36.5k. so the one on ebay i linked has lost $. not counting storage, maintenance, tags and insurance.

Terminator Dave

Established Member
the car's boring as shit bone stock. when i put my stock pulley back on my 03 it felt like it had a few pistons missing. no way id want to drive it like that. and theyre not super exciting to look at bone stock either. they look killer with a drop. sound killer with exhaust. all mods which can easily be put back to stock without much evidence.
convertibles are not in demand cars. believe me, took me a year to give mine a way. unless its SB, CO or MC. even then, theyre nowhere near in demand like the coupes. so having a 30k mile convertible.....it doesnt really matter right now. in 40-50 years? when 90% are trashed, wrecked or have 200k miles. sure, it would be awesome. but then you're not driving the car forever.
and when it comes to badass classic muscle cars, the coupes are the ones in demand over the verts.

if you dont plan to keep the car, mildly mod it and enjoy it. then return to stock to sell it. even if you park it for 5 years and add NO miles to it. you'll probably get what you paid for it. maybe a few bucks more. there's still many low mileage examples out there. also, the hardcore terminator crowd will stick around im sure but many will move on to other cars. so the pool of buyers will not be as big 5 years from now as it is right now. which im sure is less than it was 5 years ago.

as far as grand nationals and the like, how many are selling for $50k and up? how many people are looking to spend that kind of coin on one? im sure its pretty limited.
here's a GN with mileage like OPs. all original. at a stealership. with a BIN price of $28.5k. almost double in value!! no bad for sitting on it for 30 years with the occasional trip to the local soda fountain.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Buick-...ash=item41cebcdd82:g:eFIAAOSwk9dZowrm&vxp=mtr

keep in mind, the GN sold for $16,600 new in 1987. in today's dollars that would be $36.5k. so the one on ebay i linked has lost $. not counting storage, maintenance, tags and insurance.
Not to take away from the seriousness of the conversation, but...did you see the period 85 mph speedo? Classic.

Sent from my 2PS64 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Not to take away from the seriousness of the conversation, but...did you see the period 85 mph speedo? Classic.

didnt see that till you mentioned it. its ugly. not as bad as a digital dash but still. and top speed was a whopping 121mph! lol.
0-60 in 7.5 seconds....

they were awesome at the time but would get wrecked by todays standards. unless seriously modded. driving a bone stock one these days would not impress.

i remember back in about 2004 driving my buddy's typhoon (stock). i floored it off the line and was like "thats it? i thought these were fast" lol.

Terminator Dave

Established Member
didnt see that till you mentioned it. its ugly. not as bad as a digital dash but still. and top speed was a whopping 121mph! lol.
0-60 in 7.5 seconds....

they were awesome at the time but would get wrecked by todays standards. unless seriously modded. driving a bone stock one these days would not impress.

i remember back in about 2004 driving my buddy's typhoon (stock). i floored it off the line and was like "thats it? i thought these were fast" lol.
Sorry. I couldn't help myself. Guess I have too much time on my hands....

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
the car's boring as shit bone stock.

HA HA HA, ridiculous statement (Well maybe not if you're John Force or someone use to crazy high horse power).

My Cobra's are practically bone stock (still run a factory Eaton, no porting and no pulley). I do have some very minor mods (cat back, CAI, Acufab TB, 26 spline, Mcleod clutch and a tune for higher octane fuel). And I ONLY drive my car occasionally.

Every time I get in my Cobra it is FAR from boring to drive.

Everyone has their own opinion and experiences (Guess that's why there is a thread asking if people with 700HP are bored with their car).

When thinking about my experiences with my Cobras NEVER does the word boring come to mind..........

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
HA HA HA, ridiculous statement (Well maybe not if you're John Force or someone use to crazy high horse power).

My Cobra's are practically bone stock (still run a factory Eaton, no porting and no pulley). I do have some very minor mods (cat back, CAI, Acufab TB, 26 spline, Mcleod clutch and a tune for higher octane fuel). And I ONLY drive my car occasionally.

Every time I get in my Cobra it is FAR from boring to drive.

Everyone has their own opinion and experiences (Guess that's why there is a thread asking if people with 700HP are bored with their car).

When thinking about my experiences with my Cobras NEVER does the word boring come to mind..........

i was being facetious. but have you driven a pullied cobra? if not, you would be disappointed after going back to stock. i thought my stock gt500 was sufficient until i pullied it lol. same with my HDF150.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
i was being facetious. but have you driven a pullied cobra? if not, you would be disappointed after going back to stock. i thought my stock gt500 was sufficient until i pullied it lol. same with my HDF150.

No sir I have not driven a pullied Cobra. However, I have driven a 2013 Shelby GT500.

I'm sure you're correct in the going back theory. Which is why I mentioned people driving higher HP cars or being bored with their 700HP Cobra. I'm pretty sure if my Cobra had 700HP and then I put it back to stock to sell it I would not be happy with 400HP.

I was just trying to say that those of us who drive 4 or 6 cylinder cars on a daily basis and then get in our practically stock Cobra's on the weekend it is not boring. As we are moving forward in the HP quest, not backwards at that point.

Now getting in my DD after driving the Cobra, now that sir is boring LMAO!!!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The 07-10 GT500 in stock form has a 4-5 mph advantage over an 03/04 Cobra stock in the 1/4 mi (pretty significant). That being said said, my car stock was a turd slug that simply did NOT impress.

I'd agree with Steve that a stock 03/04 would be boring as hell. No thanks.

Actually...I have more fun/satisfaction driving my 200hp VTEC honda accord than i did my STOCK GT500.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I'd agree with Steve that a stock 03/04 would be boring as hell. No thanks.

Actually...I have more fun/satisfaction driving my 200hp VTEC honda accord than i did my STOCK GT500.

LOL, that makes no sense to me brother. Your 200HP Honda is more fun to drive than a stock GT500 or an 03/04 Cobra for that matter???? :confused:

To each his own I guess...

Users who are viewing this thread