Is this 93 Cobra worth the $$?

nighthawk355x

Banned
May have found a car and need some advice...here's the deal...

93 Cobra, 120k orig, teal, grey leather, paint is flawless and interior looks great, 2.5" cowl hood, twisted wedge heads, cam, vortech a-trim, 3 core radiator, electric fan, short throw, lowered, 3:73's, 4pt cage, etc etc, car could use a better tune but runs fine as is. Guy was asking $13,500, got him to $11,650 without a sound system. Now, here are the 2 catches...

-car has a CA "salvage" title, guy says he doesn't know why. He had it at a reputable body shop and everything on the car looks 100% kosher and straight as an arrow. Also said they verified that all body panels on the car were original. NO signs of it ever being damaged.
-I have to get it shipped to me in NJ, about $900 maybe a bit less.

So I ask, is it worth it? I'll be paying about $13k, more with interest %, when all is said and done and as I said it's a salvage title, should it bother me even though it appears to be MINT? I don't care about the mods, in fact I prefered them, otherwise does it seem like a good deal?

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
no way at all. maybe 5-6k if that for a salvage and those high miles. you can do better

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
GETTEUP said:
no way at all. maybe 5-6k if that for a salvage and those high miles. you can do better

:lol: You can't buy a roller for that.

Run a carfax on it and see if it has any notes about its salvage history.

For the mods and if the car is in really good shape then I say yes, its easily worth the 11k price tag you mentioned

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
I would walk away for that kind of money. You can find some 50K mile non-salvage cobras in the 11-12K range if you are patient enough.

mofugr

BIG DADDY
Established Member
I say keep looking and closer to your area to avoid the shipping (or most of it). I looked for four months before I found the right one. Be patient and it will come around, especially once the winter months are over.

carguy19

Established Member
Pass on it. Worth way less then that with the title like that. Theres a good reason for the salvage title, the guy is full of shit.

Speedfreek

Established Member
I got a 93 for sale with 95k miles on it black on black clean title 90% original paint only the hood has been repainted in time, trickflow twisted wedge heads, b cam, alumn drive shaft, shifter exhaust, paint isn't show quality but it is nice for a driver I'm only wanting 9500 for it. So he's a little high for a salvage car even if it is nice.

EV1L_SVT

Established Member
I just sold my First 93 Cobra to a local guy.

80k, All options, great condition. Stock engine with a Vortech S-Trim made 420rwhp with a SCT Tune. Car had other bolt-ons.

I did sell it in the Winter which hurt the sale but I only got $12k for it with a good Title.

You looked at the car in person? The paint is mint because it was probably repainted from a accident.

I would pass on it, It would be hard to sell with that Title.

Here's my Old Cobra :(

1002105tm8.jpg

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
cgoeschel, on this site, just sold his 70k mile Teal w/Black cloth for 10k. I would definately do some more research before you buy.

jhein2580

Established Member
Keep looking and the right car will come along at the right price. Personally I would not pay over 8K for a 93 Cobra with 120K miles and not able to see it first hand. Wait for something local to show up and check it out in person to see what some people claim as "Mint condition". Might not be what you think is "Mint".
Good luck.

Quick96Mystic

Mystiiiiic wowww
Established Member
Dont buy it.. believe me.. few years back.. people in here in Cali would pull off some funky shit... especially on the fox body mustangs.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
:lol: You can't buy a roller for that.

Run a carfax on it and see if it has any notes about its salvage history.

For the mods and if the car is in really good shape then I say yes, its easily worth the 11k price tag you mentioned
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i wouldn't buy a roller for that.

nighthawk355x:
there is some good advice and examples here for you to look at. keep looking

kcp203

Established Member
Does a car get a salvage title if it is a theft recovery where the insured was paid out for a total loss, even if the car is eventually found and undamaged?

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
kcp203 said:
Does a car get a salvage title if it is a theft recovery where the insured was paid out for a total loss, even if the car is eventually found and undamaged?

I believe it depends on the state.

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
the salvage title will kill any car resale value. i had an 89 lx with salvage title, but it was in good shape, not sure why it was salvaged. unless you plan to keep it for 10 plus years, then no, don't buy it. have the car thouroughly checked. bring another cobra owner with you to make sure everything is what it should be. actually, since your not local, pass on it. pm me info and i could check it out if its local to me. i'm in socal

wheelhopper

Established Member
I would say around $7K.

A good reason for the salvage title but the car being straight framed with all original panels is a flood. That is also one of the highest mileage 93 cobra's I have seen.

Good luck.

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
mine has 121k, i have a thread here of pictures of it. except for the paint, in my opinion its in damn good shape. i removed entire interior and the underside is great. i wouldn't pay 11k for it though with salvage title, even with those mods. a couple years ago, a guy in Ontario, CA. was selling an out of state black, grey leather 93, not sure of mileage, but the fenders were replaced, missing two oem wheels, was drag raced. also had a b cam, the car ran like shit. guy was asking around $9200 for it. i wouldn't have payed $6k for it.

Users who are viewing this thread