Is this a Cop Trick?

rosem32

Established Member
Last night I was driving back from a football tourney (which my team won) and was passing through Bellevue, WA on the 405. I was doing the speed limit since traffic was a bit heavy. Next thing I know, my radar is on full freak out mode.

A King County Sheriff flew up behind me fast, he was easily going 20+ over the limit with no lights on. He was within a foot of my bumper and I didn't slow down or tap the breaks so he was forced to slow down. He was riding my tail at 60 which was dangerous as hell (couldn't see his headlights) so I just put on my blinker and got over in the next lane. He sat on my side for a min, I rolled my window down and waved at him as I have no issues with the law, no tint, nothing...

So here is the question, is that a game some police play with muscle/sports cars? Or was he just trying to be a jerk? :rolling:

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I'm guessing he just wanted you to get out of the left lane so he could pass.

98stangerSVT

Established Member
^^^ +1

Sometimes we need to get somewhere in a bit of a hurry, but not in such a hurry as to justify lights and sirens. I wish there was a more polite way to tell someone to get out of the way rather than tailgating, hitting the air horn, or flashing brights.

rosem32

Established Member
Even 80+ in a 60 without lights..he could have killed a Prius.

Also, after I moved over he sat next to me for a min until I waved at him. So he must have had some free time....lol...maybe he was trying to look at the Boss Intake? :)

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I would like to see police cars equipped with plows so they can ram into people driving the speed limit or slower in the left lane. I suppose rocket launchers could prove effective also.

Troponin

Established Member
Yeah, stop driving in the left lane. In many states, you can be pulled over and ticketed for it. Too bad that's not the case in all states.

I love how people get pissed when I am forced to pass them in the right lane. Seriously? You're driving in the left lane while not passing(a traffic violation here in Texas) and you just forced me to pass you in the right lane, and YOU'RE pissy? Blow me...

or when I am rding someone's ass to tell them to move over because they are going slow in the left lane, and they start brake checking me. I would love to shoot out their tires for that crap

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
or when I am rding someone's ass to tell them to move over because they are going slow in the left lane, and they start brake checking me. I would love to shoot out their tires for that crap

That's when you do this:

[youtube_browser]LZhdvl_P1Zc[/youtube_browser]

Zemedici

Established Member
Even 80+ in a 60 without lights..he could have killed a Prius.

Also, after I moved over he sat next to me for a min until I waved at him. So he must have had some free time....lol...maybe he was trying to look at the Boss Intake? :)

AGAIN WITH THE BOSS INTAKE.

sigh.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
So it's cool for a LEO to go over the speed limit and tailgate someone with no lights or sirens? Learn something everyday..

blackbolt2003

Established Member
A state trooper tailgated me for 15-20 miles on a highway (55 MPH limit). I had my cruise set at 55 before he even came up on me. I was 17 and driving an 89 Trans Am, he was driving an unmarked Z28. I finally let the teenager in me win and sped away from him up to about 105. He promptly caught up with me, pulled me over, and ticketed me.

I have no doubt some LEO's use this as a tactic....especially in an unmarked car.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Sounds similar to something that happened to me. I was actually passes a slower moving vehicle and hadn't moved back over yet, look in my rear view mirror and see lights approaching FAST. It kinda caught me off guard so I moved over quickly without using my signal. He got over with me a lit me up. Came to the window and had the nerve to ask why I didn't use my signal when I moved over. Told him he came up so fast that I didn't even think about it and was just getting out of the way. He gave me a ticket that was $180 for failure to use my turn signal.

edit: This happed at night fyi...

rosem32

Established Member
Cobra_4
Red Rocket Mike
Troponin
Siver03SVT

I wasn't in the fast lane/ far left lane. I was in the middle lane, they need rams and shooting tires out? WTF :) .... 3 lanes...sheesh some people need the mental evaluations again...lol

Its against the LAW in WA as well to do 60 in the fast lane. You will get ticketed for it very quick, I wasn't in that lane so I didn't know what was up with the cop. Thanks for the answers though. I know not to trust cops as they want to ticket me at a min, then ram me, or shoot me for being in the fast lane. YIKES!

Last edited:

jblood37

Established Member
I was waiting for the response that you weren't in the left lane haha. Regardless, sounds like he was being pretty reckless tailing you like that. I've had them do that to me also.

rosem32

Established Member
jblood37, I should have been more detailed off the start. I thought it was already a law in every state and everyone knew that you cant sit in the left lane at the speed limit or else you got a ticket.

GRUSE

Established Member
Surprised none of the replies from the LEO's have accused you of not telling the whole story,like you were doing 110 mph or some other violation.

A FEW LEO's believe the rules of safety and highway etiquette don't apply while in a cruiser.Once in a while I'll hear over the scanner,a watch commander calling into dispatch,"Tell car so and so slow down your not on a call".Older LEO's usually have got the cowboyitius out of their system but that takes quite a few years and a few reprimands.Not making excuses for bad behavior but possibly the LEO was on a call that got downgraded at the exact time you encountered each other.

OP congratulations on the win,are you on the team and do you have long hair?Perhaps the LEO mistook you for a hot chick in a hot car.

thumper

Established Member
A few years ago I was in the left lane during rush hour with cars all around me when i noticed a cop flew up on my tail. I wasn't speeding but I was keeping up with traffic. I had cars in front of me, and beside me, so there was no where I could go. He was shoved so far up my tail I could barely see his hood. Riding my ass will piss me off about as quick as anything especially if I can't go anywhere else. I had enough so I politely reached over and slowly grabbed the E brake (no brake lights). He wound up having to turn into the median to keep from hitting me. I seen the whole thing in the mirror. I went on like nothing happened.

rosem32

Established Member
GRUSE, On the weekend I am a 300lb Defensive lineman with a crew cut but during the work week I am a international finance system manager. No mistaking me for a hot lady...lol. I am not a cop, just polite to people for the most part...

Users who are viewing this thread