Is This The Biggest Cobra Dispute Since The Beginning Of SVT? (GT500 VS 03s)

ArcaneParadise

Established Member
I have noticed lately that there are a lot of GT500 vs Terminator threads. I personally have nothing against the GT500. I am basically just wondering if there has ever been so much dispute between the current and next gen Cobra. If not, I am curious as to why it is such a big deal all of the sudden.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I really could care less! It'll surely be faster from the factory but a lot uglier. Not an even trade off in my book!

64comet

Established Member
Don't like everything about the new Shelby, but don't think it is ugly either. Just not perfect. As far as the dispute is kind of stupid. Both are pretty sweet, but the price for the shelby's is going to be insane at first. To each his own, but it will be really hard not to play with one if I see it on the road.

JMD0346

Established Member
ArcaneParadise said:
I have noticed lately that there are a lot of GT500 vs Terminator threads. I personally have nothing against the GT500. I am basically just wondering if there has ever been so much dispute between the current and next gen Cobra. If not, I am curious as to why it is such a big deal all of the sudden.

No. Theres never been such radically different Cobras. From 93 to 94-95 the only change was the body. From 95 to 96-98 the engine changed but the performance was not that different.

99&01 the body changed and the engine got a pick me up but nothing drastic. Also the IRS was intro'ed. Still performance wasnt much different than the 96-98 IMO.

Then BAM! 03. Body changes slightly. For the better. Best looking new edge IMO. Obviously the engine is changed pretty dramaticaly. Modability is through the roof. Better IRS setup. 6 speed tranny and better rear gearing. Better suspension and brakes. Basically leaps and bounds better than previous models. For me the 99-01 was a waste. The engine was pretty good but the whole package was severly lacking. Wheel hop was so bad I think my 97 would have put a hurtin on it. I kept it 10 months and then bought the 03. Biggest mistake I made. I bought the 03 with no money down. If I would have kept the 97 for those 10 months it would have been paid for. Then I would have both for the same thing Im paying now. At the time there was no mention of a blown Cobra in the works.

Then bam again! 07 Mustang Shelby GT500 Cobra. com etc.... Dramaticaly new platform. Better tranny, bigger engine, bigger blower, live axle etc... Everything they thought Cobra guys wanted. Except the price, style, and weight. All my opinion of course. I just dont dig the style. Its to plastic and gaudy for me. I think it will play out.

Basically the 03-04 paved the way for the new direction of the Cobra. IMO Cobras for a long time will be compared to it. That is if they make anymore.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
it seems as though some of the terminator owners are mad that they can't afford it, so the next best thing to do is talk shit about it. The facts are that it out performs a 03-04 cobra in every single perfomance category, braking, acceleration, lateral g's, slalom, aerodynamics...Why can't people just appreciate it for what it is? I am not going to stop loving terminator's when I get my Shelby.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I just think the new 05+ body style is ugly overall! I can't speak for everyone else but in my case it has nothing to do with affording it or not.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
I just think the new 05+ body style is ugly overall! I can't speak for everyone else but in my case it has nothing to do with affording it or not.
that's why I said some. I know there are a large percentage of 03-04 owners that could easily afford 1 or more Shelby's...but there are a few that the 42K base coupe is unattainable for and they seem to talk shit about the car instead.

I think once it's lowered and some 19's or 20's are sitting on it, it's gonna be a mean looking ride.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
dgussin1 said:
that's why I said some. I know there are a large percentage of 03-04 owners that could easily afford 1 or more Shelby's...but there are a few that the 42K base coupe is unattainable for and they seem to talk shit about the car instead.

I think once it's lowered and some 19's or 20's are sitting on it, it's gonna be a mean looking ride.
Yeah, I think it'll look sick on some wheels! ;-)

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
I for one ....like it but it needs different wheels and to be about 500lbs lighter

Badasp5.0

Established Member
dgussin1 hit the nail on the head....
IMHO I would love to have one, I think it looks great and cant wait to see one in person

Its only a matter of time before we get the C-6 is better comments in this tread :pop:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I think a lot of Terminator owners are upset that they are no longer Ford's top dog. I can understand that. But it's a good thing. Technology needs to evolve. I love the new car. But I'm a lot older than most and I owned a R code Mach 1 back in the day. This new car brings back some very fond memories for me. But honestly? You need to drive one of the new Mustangs. They are hands down a much better car than our Terminators and their basically 25 year old chassis. I hate to see the weight as high as it is, but what are you going to do when the government keeps throwing regulation after regulation at you. These things cost money and have mass. Without resorting to exotic materials, this is what you end up with. Maybe a "Shelby R" could be offered without any of the extras and get the weight down for those who would prefer that. But honestly...I don't think you're going to notice the weight so much with all that power on hand. I really don't.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Personally I don't think negative comments about the GT500 have a great deal to do with people not being able to afford it. If you take away the expected dealer markups (initially), most who could afford a Terminator back in 2003/2004 should be able to afford the GT500. And there is always the lease option to lower their payments. I think the main reason we're seeing the comments are over its controversial styling and the fact that it is "new". And the new kid on the block often gets shunned by the neighborhood regulars. LOL! And, not everyone likes retro. I personally do not like the car's styling from the factory, but saw a Saleen version up close and liked it. But no matter what you do with it on the exterior, it just looks too big and it's grossly overweight. All of this is enough to get folks talking crap about it. LOL! I will say, though, that even if you don't like the styling or the weight issue, continually talking crap about it is wrong. Would we rather have seen no GT500 or other Cobra replacement? Or what if Ford killed the Mustang althogether? Would people be happy then? On the contrary, a new product (GT500) is good for Ford, and good for the performance consumer. And now we have the new Camaro coming out, followed by the Challenger. So get ready for the smack/crap talk about those two cars when the time comes. Can you say Mustang/Camaro/Challenger pony car wars all over again? :rockon:

Dgussin1, congrats on ordering your GT500. We can be assured that you'll do us proud by showing what the car's potential is. You'd better keep us informed! And maybe convert a few of us. ;-)

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I'll pick one up in a few years when they are high 20's.

And there is still a dispute between mach 1's and 03/04's. I have one of each and I continually have to correct the Mach guys that an 03/04 is a much better car.

I do have a question regarding the GT500. Is it utilizing a 8.8 or the truck 9.75. My opinion is that if its using the 8.8 and that is no better solution to the IRS in the Terminators. 500 hp and 4000lbs is a recipe for disaster unless Ford built it from the factory.

Last edited:

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
black99lightnin said:
I'll pick one up in a few years when they are high 20's.
And there is still a dispute between mach 1's and 03/04's. I have one of each and I continually have to correct the Mach guys that an 03/04 is a much better car.

+1 on picking one up when the prices drop and mods are plentiful! Til then, the 03/04's are STILL the best game in town when you factor in all the mods that are currently on the market. Also, I also noticed that a LOT of Mach drivers seem to think they have the fastest cars on earth. :rolleyes: Don't get me wrong, the Mach is a track beast, but there really is no contest against the 03/04...especially once the Termy is pullied. :beer:

Black06GT

Established Member
IMHO they both are freaking great cars. Both are fast as hell and both rock. In my book if you are driving either one you are driving a bad a$$.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
I think everyone is pissed about the fact that its a $40k car that you have to spend $50-$60K on. Also, now that they are saying that its gonna be next to impossible to do a pulley swap and the thing weighs over 2 tons. I'm sure its a better all around car, but its not worth that much money. I'll look into maybe getting one when they go for about $30K.

rcknrol

Established Member
I like them (not love them like the '03/'04), and can afford one if I wanted to, but I won't pay that much for any car, let alone a Mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread