Is This The Biggest Cobra Dispute Since The Beginning Of SVT? (GT500 VS 03s)

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
history repeats it's self, i would say that the same was talked about in the 60's reguarding the 66 Shelby GT-350 and the new style 67-68 GT-500, bigger platform, engine, how many of us would take one of these, if you had the chance.

04torchred

Established Member
I don't like how they look is my main problem with them... they look huge and bulk. Second I think many are thinking of jumping with high hopes this car is going to be insanely fast since it has a 5.4L. I think a lot of people just need to sit and think they have a pretty solid platform with an 03-04 cobra and could upgrade some things and make it better then the GT-500. My 04 is staying with me and will get turbos down the road. My next addition would have to be a 02-04 Z06 or maybe a C6 and if long enough down the road then maybe a C6 Z06(but that car is selling for around $105K-110K cdn locally... too much money for what I could build a C5 Z into for 20-30K less)

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i can concede that they are a better factory mustang, and will step down from the top of the mustang hill :thumbsup:

if i could afford a new car every couple years i would consider it (even tho the no spare tire deal would deter me)

the only negative i can think of about these cars is, (and it goes for all of the new s197 platform) the car seems alot bigger than the sn95, which was in turn bigger than the fox body. their bodywork is just getting too big for my liking

mags

Cobra Ink
Established Member
dgussin1 said:
it seems as though some of the terminator owners are mad that they can't afford it, so the next best thing to do is talk shit about it. The facts are that it out performs a 03-04 cobra in every single perfomance category, braking, acceleration, lateral g's, slalom, aerodynamics...Why can't people just appreciate it for what it is? I am not going to stop loving terminator's when I get my Shelby.

Hey, we can afford the new Shelby, but us true Cobra owners don't jump on the band wagon as soon as an expensive bigger and uglier Shelby comes around.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I think the 03/04 GT500 hating peeps have it all wrong. I'm all about Ford producing another awesome performance Cobra. Back in the day, rewind back to July-September 02, we were all going crazy over how the 03 was looking and performing as they started hitting the streets. We did moan and groan about the weight. But what we (SVTP) was really whinning about was the IRS and how if only Ford had put in a SRA, we would have the car we wanted. Well, they did it, with a bigger engine, better drivetrain. Now we're back to the weight issue again. It didn't seem to stop us before since the 03/04 Cobras are some of the fastest things on the streets and at the strip. So the conclusion is, some of you bubba's just can't be pleased. I may or may not buy a GT500. I will have to get some priorities in order, but definately possible. I am first on a list to buy at MSRP, if the dealer decides at some point to sell them at that price. A fully loaded Ebony with stripe delete would not upset me sitting in my garage. This banter will die, as it did before...........

Brad

Banned
I like it better than the 03, I just can't justify dropping the cash right now, maybe a left over 07 or an 08... :shrug:

On paper it's superior, who knows for sure yet...

I think it looks much cooler, the interior is far superior, pretty much just a way nicer car.

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
Well personally Im a "hater" now because the way ford changed much of what I loved about the concept. I was on the list to get one, yet have grown to dislike the looks and specs of the gt500. I HATE the hood, dont like the weight, and wish they would have put the twinscrew on it. The price is also an issue since a vert will be atleast 50+k now, and that will be sightly less than say a used c6z06 by next year. There is also some good cars in the pipeline (camero, challenger) that im waiting to see the specs on. Just disappointed in ford more than anything.

jason

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
If the Shelby is 7500 Build and made only 1 yr it will be a collectable..If Ford makes 10,000 a year for 2 years it won't be special..There are other cars comming out to compete with it...Challenger and Comaro to name 2...
I'd wait,,I would feel cheated to pay a big markup and then seeing them sell at a Discount..

ricksterman

Established Member
According to what I've read Ford will make plenty of 500's for the next 5 years. Wait a couple of years (like I did with my 03), and pick one up for far less than MSRP, then mod, and beat on it like its stolen!

As far as which is better, everyone know technology moves ahead, in many ways it is a better car, but I HATE THE FREAKIN WEIGHT, 3900# dry????? Other than that looks are really the only point you can argue about. I love my 03, but lets be honest there are a number of improvements in the 500.

The only remaining unknown is modding. If you look closely at the blower, you'll see that you really can't put much of a smaller pulley on it, I read that the crank pulley is similarly limited going larger, so you may not get much more boost out of it, so we'll see if they're as mod friendly as the 03-04. And really I picked up a Cobra and sold my Mach, because I got tired of spending $100/HP instead of about $10/HP for the Cobra. But to each his own. One thing I will say is if new 500 owners think they can just beat any 03 out of the box, they've got some surprises waiting for them!

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
The GT500 is a better car overall period than the 03'-04' except a major seller for me, styling! Now drop it, put some nice wheels on it and do something with those big ass expedition mirrors and you might have something. Imo, they should have tried to keep alot of the concept cars styling into the new platform.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Ya'll need to get the most recent issue of Automobile magazine .. they put it up against a GTO and a crapmaro

Mad Max

Mod Crazy
Established Member
I have owned many Mustangs. I like them because, unlike the f-body, they remained a "pony car". Having said that, the numbers for the Shelby GT500 are impressive. I like the motor, but that is where it stops for me.
For one, the retro thing is getting old.......secondly, it is FAR from a "pony car". It is massive, heavy, big and needs a major diet all around.
I can afford one - not a problem, even with a jacked up retail - but I am fond of the 03/04 styling.
I am hoping the next Mustang will carry the SVT logo and be a worthy successor, not just FORD cashing in on Shelby's name sake.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Mad Max said:
I have owned many Mustangs. I like them because, unlike the f-body, they remained a "pony car". Having said that, the numbers for the Shelby GT500 are impressive. I like the motor, but that is where it stops for me.
For one, the retro thing is getting old.......secondly, it is FAR from a "pony car". It is massive, heavy, big and needs a major diet all around.
I can afford one - not a problem, even with a jacked up retail - but I am fond of the 03/04 styling.
I am hoping the next Mustang will carry the SVT logo and be a worthy successor, not just FORD cashing in on Shelby's name sake.
Here's something to chew on. I'm getting tired of retro, too. But for the auto designers it might be easier IMO to design a retro Mustang/Camaro/Challenger than to design something new and fresh.

And interesting you mention the "pony car" thing. These "pony cars" are fast becoming Clydesdales. LOL!

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
2thman said:
There is also some good cars in the pipeline (camero, challenger) that im waiting to see the specs on. Just disappointed in ford more than anything.

jason

Jim Vaccaro said:
If the Shelby is 7500 Build and made only 1 yr it will be a collectable..If Ford makes 10,000 a year for 2 years it won't be special..There are other cars comming out to compete with it...Challenger and Comaro to name 2...
I'd wait,,I would feel cheated to pay a big markup and then seeing them sell at a Discount..

I gotta be honest, I am just stunned at how many people can't spell CAMARO!!!!!!! :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:

Last edited:

Mad Max

Mod Crazy
Established Member
Did you mean Kamero.............

As for retro - Challenger looks cool, Camaro is too boxy. We will see what ends up under the hood!

lukabrozi

SVT *****
Established Member
Truth Be Told

Back in the day, (40 years ago), the Shelby 500 was the only car I dreamed about.

The 350 was like getting the ugly girlfriend but was better than nothing and got you close to the re4al deal.

The new 07 Shelby 500 is now the ugly girlfriend to my 04 Cobra mystic vert and I wish it wasn't.

I would, could but won't trade.

Users who are viewing this thread