Issues with Computer Reset for Gear Change

Cam

n/a
Established Member
Chris, Dearborn may never release it for the GT500 because of running afoul of gov't regulations. Also, since you probably have the best inside scoop, does Ford ever audit dealer repair records to determine if the technician checked to see if the ECU was (non-OEM) flashed as part of a powertrain claim? Seems like it is not just finding a "good dealer", but also finding one that is willing to eat a bounced claim if Ford checks up on them.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Chris, Dearborn may never release it for the GT500 because of running afoul of gov't regulations. Also, since you probably have the best inside scoop, does Ford ever audit dealer repair records to determine if the technician checked to see if the ECU was (non-OEM) flashed as part of a powertrain claim? Seems like it is not just finding a "good dealer", but also finding one that is willing to eat a bounced claim if Ford checks up on them.

Ford won't. But FRPP might- that'd be the loophole

The only time Ive seen them do that is on a larger failure (blown engine, blown Trans). Because if they're gonna pay a large warranty claim they want to make sure it was caused by a defect. Not abuse or modification. That is after all what a warranty is :)

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Ford won't. But FRPP might- that'd be the loophole

The only time Ive seen them do that is on a larger failure (blown engine, blown Trans). Because if they're gonna pay a large warranty claim they want to make sure it was caused by a defect. Not abuse or modification. That is after all what a warranty is :)

I think there's plenty of us out there who would be fine with biting the bullet and paying for a broken component after a modification as long as unrelated warranty coverage remains intact. I just don't see why it's so hard to find a dealership that will make the distinction. I know there are a few out there, but the operative word seems to be "few". Why throw the baby out with the bathwater? :shrug:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Does the Ford tech have the capability of updating the tire diameter in the computer? If so, this may be a viable route to take.

Snoopy49

Established Member
He does, but the largest available option is... 285/35. :shrug:

What is the smallest? I am thinking that by going with a smaller tire diameter, you could effectively simulate a 3.73 gear set and correct the speedometer with a change in tire diameter.

I wonder if this would affect the ABS & TC systems?

Last edited:

Husky44

Established Member
What is the smallest? I am thinking that by going with a smaller tire diameter, you could effectively simulate a 3.73 gear set and correct the speedometer with a change in tire diameter.

I wonder if this would affect the ABS & TC systems?

I don't remember; we needed to go bigger (eg, less revolutions per mile), because the speedo is reading high. Can't go any bigger than what we have stock(I believe in at least the gear ratio and tire size settings, the options are straight Mustang--all the tire sizes were for a 19" wheel, and the gear ratios stopped at 3.73, which reflects the factory ratios available).

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Maybe Ford wants your car to go out of warranty faster and that why they don't allow the dealers to correct the speedo.

Snoopy49

Established Member
It's too bad that Ford didn't put the speed sensor in the rear end housing, rather than the transmission, that way the only thing you would have to worry about is tire size.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
It's too bad that Ford didn't put the speed sensor in the rear end housing, rather than the transmission, that way the only thing you would have to worry about is tire size.

It's too bad they don't still do it like they did on the late 80's/early 90's 5.0 where all you do is crawl under the car and slide in a little plastic gear with more teeth on it. Hmmm...but now that I think about it, I'm not so sure it would be such a smart trade since it would mean going back to 225hp though...:lol:

Snoopy49

Established Member
My 95 F250 has a sensor ring sandwiched between the ring gear and the carrier with a stationary sensor in the rear end housing, no gears to mess with, 1 revolution is 1 revolution no matter what gear set you are using. The only thing that affects the speedometer is the tire diameter.

Husky44

Established Member
Update: I don't have the time or energy to fight with FoMoCo to get them to resolve this. Instead, I ordered a tuner from Van with a stock tune with 3.73 gears. Works like a champ,.

Happy!

carguy19

Established Member
It's too bad they don't still do it like they did on the late 80's/early 90's 5.0 where all you do is crawl under the car and slide in a little plastic gear with more teeth on it. Hmmm...but now that I think about it, I'm not so sure it would be such a smart trade since it would mean going back to 225hp though...:lol:

NO thanks!!! I've changed about 30 of those chewed up plastic gears (anyone running a 3.73 or higher gear knows what I am talking about)

Famine

Established Member
I'm in a similar scenario. I'm on an aed tune for my cobrajet setup where I can select whichever gear ratio I want. Well, I just got my 373s and aluminum driveshaft in and uploaded it with the new provisions (373) after putting it back to stock first. It's not taking. Speedo is still off. Around 15+ at 65ish. Anyone know the solution here?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Try setting your tire diameter revolutions per mile data too. I believe you need to do both once you override one or the other.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
So, what did AED say?
It was straight forward with my SCT X3/X4.
Been thinking of switching to nGauge for the gauge and ease of datalogging.
-J

Robot_trainer

Established Member
What do they charge for the tuner with a stock tune?

Van charges $200.00 for the initial tune plus the cost of the tuner, or you could go Ngauge. Lund does the tuning. I had this done when I installed the 3.73 gears in mine. stock tune with the 3.73 option. Tunes after that are free. This comes in handy when you want to install a cold air intake and larger throttle body.

I had the dealer install mine. I have a good relationship with mine. You will find that most of them don't know they cant change the ratio in the 13/14 cars. My dealer also thought they could but I told them they cant so they inquired with SVT and they confirmed it. The Service manager told me no problem, just get a tuner and a tune and we'll install it. It seems the owner of the dealership (I bought his 13 Shelby) sometimes will do mods on his demonstrator. They told me if something happens to the rear, they will cover it since they did the install. if something happens to the engine, they are fine with covering it as long as something in the tune didn't cause it.

fearthesnake

Established Member
Van charges $200.00 for the initial tune plus the cost of the tuner, or you could go Ngauge. Lund does the tuning. I had this done when I installed the 3.73 gears in mine. stock tune with the 3.73 option. Tunes after that are free. This comes in handy when you want to install a cold air intake and larger throttle body.

I had the dealer install mine. I have a good relationship with mine. You will find that most of them don't know they cant change the ratio in the 13/14 cars. My dealer also thought they could but I told them they cant so they inquired with SVT and they confirmed it. The Service manager told me no problem, just get a tuner and a tune and we'll install it. It seems the owner of the dealership (I bought his 13 Shelby) sometimes will do mods on his demonstrator. They told me if something happens to the rear, they will cover it since they did the install. if something happens to the engine, they are fine with covering it as long as something in the tune didn't cause it.

Same here, Ford did all the work to install my 3.73s. I had Dan at Pro Dyno send me a tune for calibration and the Ford rep installed that for me as well. Works like a champ.

Users who are viewing this thread