It's Basically Perfect | 4,700-Mile 1996 Ford F-350 XLT 4×4 5-Speed on BaT

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
You would pay $60,000 for a 25 year old truck that has half the power of a new one?
Well, 60 might be a stretch but I’d pay up for a mint older 7.3. I’ve got a newer 6.7 & it’s got all the power in the world.
But also had many 7.3’s over the years. The nice part, I can work on them myself. Which only consisted of new belts & glow plugs every few years. My new 6.7? Just opening the hood scares me.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, 60 might be a stretch but I’d pay up for a mint older 7.3. I’ve got a newer 6.7 & it’s got all the power in the world.
But also had many 7.3’s over the years. The nice part, I can work on them myself. Which only consisted of new belts & glow plugs every few years. My new 6.7? Just opening the hood scares me.

But, the $60,000 is paying up for it.

At what point would you say the 7.3 isn't worth it?

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
But, the $60,000 is paying up for it.

At what point would you say the 7.3 isn't worth it?
Actual $ I’d pay would be determined on miles, 5th wheel hitch or no, color, options & what mood I was in that day.
Usually the 7.3’s were hooked to a trailer & ate up with miles. A sub 5k example that’d been properly cared for, (no salt) would be a gem to own.
As for a comparable actual value? There’s hardly any like it to get a comparison from.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Actual $ I’d pay would be determined on miles, 5th wheel hitch or no, color, options & what mood I was in that day.
Usually the 7.3’s were hooked to a trailer & ate up with miles. A sub 5k example that’d been properly cared for, (no salt) would be a gem to own.
As for a comparable actual value? There’s hardly any like it to get a comparison from.

Say this exact same truck in the first post. 7.3L, no hitch, whatever color is your fancy, whatever mods you would fancy.

What's the MAX you would pay for a 1996 F350 regular cab 7.3L in pristine condition?

velocicaur

Established Member
Aren't you paying for everything being pristine except for the motor in a sense. Put the 460 in the barn and convert it to a diesel?

They make kits to swap in a 12v/24v Cummins.

Best of both worlds!

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I’d feel better paying 45k for that, vs 90k for a new one. I don’t need another new one, but it’d be nice to have a cherry older 7.3 parked in the garage.
Edit: I see you said regular cab F350. If I’m dreaming, it’d have to be a F250, 4-door, 4WD. And even better would be the nearly impossible to find 6-speed!

Jefe

Established Member
Wow thats incredible? Did you see these end today? 95 Cobra R for $66K and a 93 Cobra for $57K

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Say this exact same truck in the first post. 7.3L, no hitch, whatever color is your fancy, whatever mods you would fancy.

What's the MAX you would pay for a 1996 F350 regular cab 7.3L in pristine condition?

I'd pay $45,000 all day long for that truck if it didn't have 30 year old everything on it.

Aren't you paying for everything being pristine except for the motor in a sense. Put the 460 in the barn and convert it to a diesel?

They make kits to swap in a 12v/24v Cummins.

Best of both worlds!

P-Pump 24V sounds like a good swap. I'd be happy with the big block though.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Shows how much we tend to value a period muscle car at a price premium vs. a period truck. Both lack the advanced engineering and features we take for granted today with our cars and trucks. This F-350 is a really good looking truck and somebody will happily take delivery. I've seen a few Mecum auctions over the past 6 months where older trucks in pristine condition have fetched big bucks. There's obviously a market for them.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I’d feel better paying 45k for that, vs 90k for a new one. I don’t need another new one, but it’d be nice to have a cherry older 7.3 parked in the garage.
Edit: I see you said regular cab F350. If I’m dreaming, it’d have to be a F250, 4-door, 4WD. And even better would be the nearly impossible to find 6-speed!

F250 with that trash twin traction beam? Also... what's your view on the trucks with a 5th hitch?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow thats incredible? Did you see these end today? 95 Cobra R for $66K and a 93 Cobra for $57K

Strong money there. I'm always amazed with such low mile finds. 61 miles and 2,700 miles. And that a few bought them with the intent to tuck them away for future consideration.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
F250 with that trash twin traction beam? Also... what's your view on the trucks with a 5th hitch?
I put well over 200k miles on 3 different 7.3’s with no suspension issues besides normal shock replacements.
When buying low mile used ones, I passed on any w/5th wheel plates. I searched for town/hiway use vs trucks that hauled a 45’ gooseneck full of cattle.
I bought 3 different ones sub 30k miles over the years. All were very clean & served me well.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
This is what I do not understand about some of these that I see on BAT. Sure its cool to have a mint mid 80s early 90s truck. But most of them really were pieces of shit compared to what you get now. They look cool but that is about it.

The kids that road around in one with their dad have a different perspective.

blk02edge

Established Member
If it had a professionally swapped modern Cummins powertrain you bet your ass I'd rather have that than a generic new one.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
If it had a professionally swapped modern Cummins powertrain you bet your ass I'd rather have that than a generic new one.

It would go for +$100k. That is in big boy USD not bullshit Canadian dollars.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
It would go for +$100k. That is in big boy USD not bullshit Canadian dollars.
giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread