It's been 20 years but I'm a Mustang owner again!

Ryan23

Established Member
Hey Guys -
Well, the pull was too strong, so I gave in. I'm now the proud owner of a beautiful DIB GT500!I was waffling between a used Mercedes SL65 and the Shelby for the last month. I was initially put off by the Internet hype which put the Shelby at damn near unobtainable status without a markup. I had found a few low mileage SL65s and actually committed to one. $50k, pampered & warrantied with only 30k miles. Plans were made and 3 days before I was due to fly out the buyer had a change of heart. He claimed his wife just wouldn't let him sell it...
So I took another hard look at the Shelby and started playing with the vehicle locator on Ford.com. In one afternoon I had found fifty GT500s in Virginia and the surrounding states. I narrowed that list down to about ten that were optioned the way I wanted. From there I picked up the phone and dialed the dealer who had the number one car on my list:

- Deep Impact Blue with black stripes
- Recaros
- Performance Pack
- Track Pack
- Navi
- Shaka

Stickered out at $66k and change. The conversation with the dealer came as quite the surprise:

Me: "Do you still have the blue GT500 available?"
Dealer: " Yes sir, she just came in two days ago"
Me: "Will you sell it at sticker price?"
Dealer: "Yes sir, the only car we ever asked a premium over sticker was the Ford GT due to the limited availability of it."
Me: "Ok, I'd like to make a deposit"
Dealer: "Certainly sir, one moment while I get your info..."

Done deal! I flew in a week later and picked it up with no hassle. I'm active duty Navy and was on house hunting leave from Japan. What a beast to return to the US roads with! Big thanks to Paoli Ford in Pennsylvania! I paid sticker price + $110 document fee. That's it, no BS (doing taxes and reg myself).

So I've got almost 1000 miles on the odo already and love it! My first car was a Mustang (67' 289 coupe); so it has a little nostalgic significance to me. I've owned quite a few fast(er) cars than the GT500 but what surprises me is how tractable the power is with this car. The ride quality is decent and if you drive it "normally" it's quite streetable. The clutch is fantastic, considering what it has to put up with, and it's obvious to me that the folks at SVT spent some time getting the "package" right. I played around with it a bit in an expansive (deserted) & wet parking lot and the traction control does a pretty good job at keeping the beast straight despite the F1s out back. Full on LC launch with a gear change to second in the wet? Maybe try a few lateral "G"s for good measure? That would have thrown just about any previous car I've owned into some serious dramatic behavior. Surprisingly, the Shelby kept it all in check. Disable the TC though and... Well... Yeah, some serious hooning can be had. :eek:

The best realistic fuel mileage I've got out of a tank was 18.5 mpg with some city/highway mixed driving. Not too bad considering how ridiculous this car is. Of course no one buys this for the fuel economy but it's nice to know it can be somewhat respectable during normal driving.

For now though, its back to Japan to finish up my tour. I just got the news that Ive been advanced which stretches me out until mid-September in Japan but I can't complain :beer: The Shelby was left in the garage of a trusted friend and will be waiting for me upon my return.

Mods are coming in the meanwhile... tune, x-pipe, springs. I may swap out the wheels and opt for a Super Snake hood. I do like the twin black stripes but I'm thinking a single wide one (in white) would look better. Decisions... Decisions :rockon:

Ryan

cobra11.jpg

cobra12.jpg

cobra10.jpg

cobra7.jpg

cobra8.jpg

cobra2.jpg

BrettR

Established Member
Congrats on your new Shelby! She looks good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Welcome, congrats and it looks great! thats how deals should be done, nice and easy! Thanx for your service!

91svtbird

Established Member
Congrats and thanks for your service to our country. Loved your little review as well! Beautiful car too!

drmustang

Banned
Great color combination, gorgeous. Congratulations.

Your post really got my attention. My first car was also a '67, 289, coupe, have had 13 other Mustangs since then.
You have also pointed out the fact that although these are very low volume cars in terms of total sales they not at all difficult to find. It sounds like you are a sharp guy who ignores the hype and can think for himself in sensible terms. You obviously had no trouble at all finding a car in very short order. Good for you! Anyone currently in the market for a 500 at this time should follow your lead, ignore the internet hype, and grab a car that is instock looking for a qualified buyer. Hopefully your post here will help to dismiss many of the gross misconceptions about the current GT500s pricing and availability. I understand that as in previous years a substantial amount of this hype is propogated by people who have a vested interest in potential buyers having distorted notions about availability etc. or enthusiasts who are just clueless and have no business sense what so ever.

Enjoy the new ride, she is a beauty!

Ryan23

Established Member
Great color combination, gorgeous. Congratulations.

Your post really got my attention. My first car was also a '67, 289, coupe, have had 13 other Mustangs since then.
You have also pointed out the fact that although these are very low volume cars in terms of total sales they not at all difficult to find. It sounds like you are a sharp guy who ignores the hype and can think for himself in sensible terms. You obviously had no trouble at all finding a car in very short order. Good for you! Anyone currently in the market for a 500 at this time should follow your lead, ignore the internet hype, and grab a car that is instock looking for a qualified buyer. Hopefully your post here will help to dismiss many of the gross misconceptions about the current GT500s pricing and availability. I understand that as in previous years a substantial amount of this hype is propogated by people who have a vested interest in potential buyers having distorted notions about availability etc. or enthusiasts who are just clueless and have no business sense what so ever.

Enjoy the new ride, she is a beauty!

Thanks for the compliments. I hope I was able to pass on a little motivation for someone in the market for a new Shelby. I understand that a certain amount of "hype" is good; it gets people excited about the car and talking. My take, however, was that they were just not available at sticker and that initially soured me on the purchase. I love the car, I do, but at the end of the day it's still a Mustang (albeit a fast one!). Paying over sticker just seemed ridiculous. Taking the time to pick up the phone is what paid off.

Ryan

Last edited:

Ryan23

Established Member
The suspense is killing me. What were these cars?

Well, since ya asked :-D

- 1993 Mazda RX-7. Built Chevy LS7, 605 rwhp & 2700 lbs

side10.jpg

FD.jpg

-1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R. Built motor, GT-45R. 900 awhp

gtr1.jpg

gtr4.jpg

-1999 TVR Griffith 500. Bolt ons. 2300 lbs. SOTP felt as quick as the GT500

griff5.jpg

-2000 Subaru Impreza STi, Version 6. Built motor, GT-35R, 2700 lbs. 450 awhp

fuji1.jpg

engine_2.jpg

-1994 Toyota single turbo Supra. Built motor, T66. 675 rwhp

Img_0040.jpg

engine.jpg

-2002 Impreza WRX, VF34, bolt ons + 75 shot. 11.02@can't-remembe- the-trap

Just to name a few! I've had some others that may not have been as terminally fast but scared me just the same. 1992 "Monster" Miata (powered by a Ford 302), turbo Miata, Pulsar GTI-R (Japanese market) and a handful of other fun toys in the 12-13 sec 1/4 mile ballpark.

Ryan

SGMPhil

The Sergeant Major
Established Member
Glad to hear that you deal went so smoothly.It's hard to believe that you found so many in one area so quickly, that kind of thing is not happening here in TX. Congrats on the nice ride - enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread