JB's '76 Cafe Racer Build Thread

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
I've been keeping an eye on this thread too. Nice work so far!
I have a 74 scrambler I just cant get myself to start taking it apart, so I just put some bars on it & a couple other little things.
IMAG0259.jpg

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
Subbing to this. Awesome build. Have really had a jones for cafe style bikes the last few years. Keep up the awesome work. :beer:

JonBeast

Call me JB
Established Member
Thanks guys!
Make any progress on this Jon? Im excited to see the finished product!
Yes I've made some progress...but my main hold up is my gas tank. I dropped it off to have a flush cap welded almost 3 weeks ago and the guy said he would have it done in a week...so im just waiting on that. Once I get the tank back I can body work it, paint the tank/seat and really get most of it back together and running. Hopefully ill have it back this week!

JonBeast

Call me JB
Established Member
I've been keeping an eye on this thread too. Nice work so far!
I have a 74 scrambler I just cant get myself to start taking it apart, so I just put some bars on it & a couple other little things.
IMAG0259.jpg
Thanks man...nice! You should dig into it...these old bikes are so easy and fun to work on :beer:

Subbing to this. Awesome build. Have really had a jones for cafe style bikes the last few years. Keep up the awesome work. :beer:
Thanks man, sickkk Viper btw

JonBeast

Call me JB
Established Member
Finally have some updates...I made more progress on the seat. I finished laying down the fiberglass and started sanding it down and getting a nice shape to the seat.

CB%20Build%20132.jpg

CB%20Build%20133.jpg

CB%20Build%20134.jpg

Then tonight I laid on some bondo...bear with me, this is my first time using bondo, so its a little sloppy for now haha. Nothing some sanding cant fix...it should be looking good after some finishing.

CB%20Build%20135.jpg

CB%20Build%20136.jpg

Then I finished grinding down the exhaust flanges...there are 2 large and 2 smaller ones...not sure why, but thats how they come on the bike

CB%20Build%20137.jpg

Gave them a coat of high temp black paint.

CB%20Build%20138.jpg

I had a local bike shop go through the carbs (I had not interest in messing with the million parts in there), and I'm glad I did...as he said he found some internal components that were not where they should be...which I believe was causing the leak the previous owner mentioned. So now we should be good to go. I gave them a rough sand/polish to clean them up a bit and put them back on the bike.

CB%20Build%20139.jpg

CB%20Build%20140.jpg

CB%20Build%20141.jpg

The parts pile is shrinking

CB%20Build%20142.jpg

CB%20Build%20143.jpg

Thats all for now! Hopefully I'll have the gas tank back this week so I can finish the tank and seat and get it painted and upholstered soon.

On a tangent...I wanted some more work space in my garage (Im still renting a condo for now, so my space is limited)...so I started with this space, and decided to build a bench to go over top of my rolling cart and fridge:

CB%20Build%20122.jpg

So I got some nice wood and went to work:

CB%20Build%20123.jpg

I bought some peg board for the back to help organize my tools:

CB%20Build%20124.jpg

And the finished product, with a nice vice, tools, and plenty of parts decals haha

CB%20Build%20125.jpg

My box was also a mess, so I decided it was time to clean it out and reorganize, so I gutted it...

CB%20Build%20126.jpg

Got everything laid out and organized:

CB%20Build%20127.jpg

CB%20Build%20128.jpg

Decided to yank out the old dirty blue liner and replaced it with some nice cork liner:

CB%20Build%20129.jpg

And now we're lookin much better in there

CB%20Build%20130.jpg

CB%20Build%20131.jpg

Thats all for now, I should have more updates this week! :beer:

JonBeast

Call me JB
Established Member
I finally have some updates...its been a month, but the bike shop I took my tank to, finallyyy finished welding it. I had them weld in the flush mount gas cap, and its a little rough since the metal is so old, so its going to take some work to get it looking mint. He said it cracked at one point, so thats why you see some extra ground down welds near the cap. I laid down some filler today...Next will be some final sanding, primer, lots more sanding, and then paint :beer:

CB%20Build%20144.jpg

CB%20Build%20145.jpg

CB%20Build%20146.jpg

CB%20Build%20147.jpg

CB%20Build%20148.jpg

CB%20Build%20149.jpg

CB%20Build%20150.jpg

A few mock up pictures...its starting to look like a bike:

CB%20Build%20151.jpg

CB%20Build%20152.jpg

CB%20Build%20153.jpg

JonBeast

Call me JB
Established Member
The endless rain in the northeast finally took a break, so I was able to make some progress on my body/paint work. I need to do a lot more sanding and more primer, but I should be done with the paint in the next couple days:

CB%20Build%20157.jpg

CB%20Build%20158.jpg

CB%20Build%20159.jpg

CB%20Build%20160.jpg

CB%20Build%20161.jpg

CB%20Build%20162.jpg

CB%20Build%20163.jpg

I also added some spindles to my swing arm for my bike stand...the Red circle arms were how it was mounted before just flat sitting under the swingarm, and it would shift very easily...so I drilled and bolted on some nice spindles, and now I can use the spindle side of my stand and its way more secure :beer:

CB%20Build%20154.jpg

CB%20Build%20155.jpg

CB%20Build%20156.jpg

JonBeast

Call me JB
Established Member
Looks like its coming together nicely. Those PitBull stands are amazing pieces, only stand I will use.
Thanks man, getting really close...once I finish the paint, I'll drop the seat/grips off at the upholstery shop for some cinnamon leather and that'll be the finishing touch!

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
I'm guessing you probably will be sick of looking at this thing by the time it is finished. I will go ahead and send you my shipping address.....

J/K man. Looking awesome. Keep up the great work. :beer:

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Thanks man, getting really close...once I finish the paint, I'll drop the seat/grips off at the upholstery shop for some cinnamon leather and that'll be the finishing touch!

Nice! I like your color scheme man. That cinnamon leather is just.... wow. I love the interior of your cobra and I can only imagine how it will come out on this. I was a huge fan of that interior scheme on your GT you had.

Side question, that black Mach you had, were you going to do the cinnamon interior on that too? I was super excited to see that car as I had my Mach at the same time.

JonBeast

Call me JB
Established Member
Nice! I like your color scheme man. That cinnamon leather is just.... wow. I love the interior of your cobra and I can only imagine how it will come out on this. I was a huge fan of that interior scheme on your GT you had.

Side question, that black Mach you had, were you going to do the cinnamon interior on that too? I was super excited to see that car as I had my Mach at the same time.
Yeaaaaa man I love this cinnamon color in any color, I was definitely going to do it to the Mach...that car was rough tho, once things got really good at work, it was a no brainer to unload it and get my cobra haha

JonBeast

Call me JB
Established Member
Lots of progress!

Finally painted all the parts:

CB%20Build%20164.jpg

CB%20Build%20165.jpg

CB%20Build%20166.jpg

CB%20Build%20167.jpg

CB%20Build%20168.jpg

Mocked up:

CB%20Build%20169.jpg

CB%20Build%20170.jpg

Leather mocked up...should be dropping the seat/grips off at the upholstery shop soon:

CB%20Build%20171.jpg

CB%20Build%20172.jpg

CB%20Build%20173.jpg

CB%20Build%20174.jpg

CB%20Build%20176.jpg

CB%20Build%20177.jpg

Went to war with the wiring/ignition/carbs on Saturday/Sunday/Monday:

CB%20Build%20175.jpg

Result of the war? I won, She runs! :beer: :beer:

[video=youtube;j-88HJvCc5A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-88HJvCc5A[/video]

I ordered some exhaust piping/clamps/baffles last night...going to make my own side pipe, should be cool! Thats all for now, I'm PUMPED!! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread