JDM Built 5.8L Shortblocks going on sale!!!

36382mm

Established Member
I know the rods are WAY better than stock but how much better are the pistons your offering vs the stock ones (I realize the stock ones are pretty decent). Do they have custom spacing from the top of piston to keep heat away or anything else like that? Thanks

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
From my understanding, the Pistons have been proven by JDM in their CJs to 1200+ and at that point the build should be taken to the next level from the rotating assembly (billet crank, better rods/Pistons) to the block (sleeving, etc).
Best to discuss your goals with Jim, but I've done a lot of research and for me and most guys here, the Pistons don't need an upgrade. Mahle engineers are confident in this piston design, but the only consideration for you could be a top coating.
I don't need 1200, but the 850-900rwhp I'll be making will be used for more than a dyno number.
-J

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
From my understanding, the Pistons have been proven by JDM in their CJs to 1200+ and at that point the build should be taken to the next level from the rotating assembly (billet crank, better rods/Pistons) to the block (sleeving, etc).
Best to discuss your goals with Jim, but I've done a lot of research and for me and most guys here, the Pistons don't need an upgrade. Mahle engineers are confident in this piston design, but the only consideration for you could be a top coating.
I don't need 1200, but the 850-900rwhp I'll be making will be used for more than a dyno number.
-J

Yeah I'm in the same boat, I plan on keeping my power around 900whp, and occasionally turn up the boost and make 1000.

JimIII@jdm

-J

Bimini is correct, the pistons we use are Mahle factory stock design which will support the 1200 HP we claim easily. Same material and similar design as what we use in our Cobra Jet builds, some cars making 1200+ RWHP (1400~HP.) Now for most applications that will be plenty but for more we would recommend a billet crank, a different rod and piston combination, and sleeving the block.

36382mm

Established Member
-J

Hey J, don't know if you'll remember me from back in the day at Corral but its Danny Carvalho (username) I spent time on turbocharger forum, check out sig for fox body combo but enough of that. So what I'm trying to figure out with this jdm shortblock is if the pistons and crankshaft are the stock ones (which both pieces are plenty for my power goals) then obviously the MANLEY rods are a "perfect fit" for the stock pistons and crank, pretty much aftermarket replacements for the stock rods???

Last edited:

JimIII@jdm

Hey J, don't know if you'll remember me from back in the day at Corral but its Danny Carvalho (username) I spent time on turbocharger forum, check out sig for fox body combo but enough of that. So what I'm trying to figure out with this jdm shortblock is if the pistons and crankshaft are the stock ones (which both pieces are plenty for my power goals) then obviously the MANLEY rods are a "perfect fit" for the stock pistons and crank, pretty much aftermarket replacements for the stock rods???

That's correct our rods work with the stock pistons and crank as just replacements for the rods! Depending on mileage and wear this is also possible. We will sell the Rod's separately, the cost is TBD.

dale.baker

Established Member
Jim,

FYI on an update on my motor build. Motor currently has over 2000 miles on it and gets 18mpg in 6th gear with 4:11's. Not one issue with the motor or tuning and I drive it to all of the NMRA meets without incident. Has not used a drop of oil and change the oil once is all of the maintenance I have done on the motor since dyno tuning at JDM on 11-30-2015. JDM is the real deal and great to work with. You will not be disappointed.

See you at Indy Jim.

36382mm

Established Member
That's correct our rods work with the stock pistons and crank as just replacements for the rods! Depending on mileage and wear this is also possible. We will sell the Rod's separately, the cost is TBD.

Thank you for the reply, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out. Even though the rods are perfect replacements a balance job of rotating assembly would still be required, correct? I understand fully that there'll be many other issues and concerns to address when building a better shortblock (oil pump gears, sprockets, pins, etc etc) plus I'll be putting in cams and headers (+$,3000). Now I know I can put my money towards components I need.

Last edited:

JimIII@jdm

Thank you for the reply, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out. Even though the rods are perfect replacements a balance job of rotating assembly would still be required, correct? I understand fully that there'll be many other issues and concerns to address when building a better shortblock (oil pump gears, sprockets, pins, etc etc) plus I'll be putting in cams and headers (+$,3000). Now I know I can put my money towards components I need.

You would need to balance the rotating assembly. But besides that new bearings as well. Otherwise with what you mentioned you could do an entire rebuild with most of your stock components!

JimIII@jdm

Just a heads up to everyone we are already starting to run short on these blocks, we have 3-4 more left. If you've been debating now is the time to put a deposit down or order one before the price goes back up!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Just added the JDM SS cams yesterday, can't wait to hear that JDM 5.8 cramming away on E85! :rockon:
Thanks for the call and update Jim, Lidio at Alternative Auto looking forward to the collaboration on the project, I have faith your parts will make him a believer.
-J
:beer:

Hourigan218

Established Member
I've been on the JDM website and cannot find the replacement connecting rods for the stock pistons. Looking to beef up the bottom end a little. My car is a 13 with 3.6 kb, ARH and only has 3900 miles. Want to cam it and change oil pump gears as well. What are the price of the rods and are they available? Thanks

JimIII@jdm

I've been on the JDM website and cannot find the replacement connecting rods for the stock pistons. Looking to beef up the bottom end a little. My car is a 13 with 3.6 kb, ARH and only has 3900 miles. Want to cam it and change oil pump gears as well. What are the price of the rods and are they available? Thanks

Hey we do have the components available separately but you have to call to order. We haven't put them on the site due to limited stock. SVTPerformance.com members have the exclusivity on this right now :)

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I wanted to see what shipping costs but I got a message from your sight that you can't ship the short block to Charleston SC?

JimIII@jdm

I wanted to see what shipping costs but I got a message from your sight that you can't ship the short block to Charleston SC?

We most definitely can have it delivered to Charleston, heck I grew up on James Island if you order I might be half tempted to deliver it myself! Give us a call some time at 732-780-0770.

JimIII

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
We most definitely can have it delivered to Charleston, heck I grew up on James Island if you order I might be half tempted to deliver it myself! Give us a call some time at 732-780-0770.

JimIII

I'm looking at some things and I just might do that. JI is beautiful, I drive out there just to drive out there a lot! Thanks for the reply!

JimIII@jdm

I'm looking at some things and I just might do that. JI is beautiful, I drive out there just to drive out there a lot! Thanks for the reply!

Man I miss it every day, Charleston is the best. Keep me in touch, I would be happy to help you with a quote or whatever you need.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Def remember you Danny that was a sweet turbo Fox. Mines been in storage for 3 yrs since my son was born, the GT500 was bought and the garage project started. Hoping to pick up built GT500 and move into our 40x80' garage all in the next 4 weeks. So the LX finally will get some love this winter and honestly, I'm really planning on abandoning the 427W/AOD for a turbo coyote/PG super light weight deal, still to dominate True Street.
PM me if you want.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread