JLT cold surge fixed

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Cliff notes: JLT intake surge corrected by JLT tune.

I have had the cold start surge for a while. I tried all the little fixes, filter at the end of the pipe, smoothed the lip on the filter side of the pipe, sealed the maf to the tube, but nothing worked. I contacted Jay at JLT and he said it sounded like a tune issue, and that he would send me a tune to try. I loaded the tune and took it for a drive, felt great, but so did the Bama tune.

This morning was the real test, the first cold start. Started the car and had zero surge, it was great not having to skip first gear and stay off the gas to avoid the surge.

I can't thank Jay enough for fixing my issue.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
So whats different in the tune he provided?

Jay would have to explain what he did, but when the car is warmed up and I get on it, it feels as good or better than the Bama tune, but it doesn't have the cold start surge. Also the options to adjust things are still there like the old Bama tunes. I noticed that my last few Bama tunes I couldn't make any changes to myself.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I requested new tunes from them and in the comment section I told them about the surge. Jay said he is going to talk to them about the issue and how to fix it.

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
To me it seems like to many people want to blame the intake for their issues.

Rightfully so, I have yet to see a thread were Jay has posted details on whats different in the tune to make this intake prevent surge and why.

Tucker

I used a Bama tune on my 2011 with a Boss manifold and had no surge, but it does seem that the complaints of surge are from Bama tuned customers.
Somehow it has become a JLT problem even though my direct and most all other tuners are not having the issue.

I don't have access to what they do in their tunes, all I know is the tune we built works great and I have sent Bama somethings to look at. They know their stuff and I'm sure will get it straight.

Thanks
Jay

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I do not have anything against JLT at all, I have there oil catch can and also there cai.

But when I went to AED to get the car dyno tune'd and told shaun that I have a JLT CAI we pulled it off to check it out. When we pulled it off I couldnt believe how horrible the plastic casting was. Both ends where not even round at all and the inlet into the TB wasnt even a true 80mm's like the TB was.

We ended up just sanding and smoothing it out and got it extremely close to perfect. But after spending the money for the product I wouldnt expect to have to go in and finish it up. I also had the surge when cold with the JLT and Bama tune. After my AED tune there has been no issue.

-Thomas

Tucker

When we pulled it off I couldnt believe how horrible the plastic casting was. Both ends where not even round at all and the inlet into the TB wasnt even a true 80mm's like the TB was.
-Thomas

Thomas,

We go through thousands of these tubes and it sounds like you got one that slipped through and I would love to see it.

All the ones I have in front of me have glass smooth interiors and round ends.
Also, the TB opening is over 80mm. It should be 82mm at least.

Send me some pictures and maybe even the tube and we'll see if we can get this replaced for you.
What you discribe is far from the norm and I wish you would have come to me to help make it right first. We try to inspect each tube that goes out the door, but we can miss things here and there I'm sure.

Email: [email protected]

I'm glad to hear AED's tune fixed you up.

Users who are viewing this thread