Just Blew The Engine Up!

burke985

Established Member
This is exactly why I run a 90mm stock pulley and don't overdue it on the stock internals. With injectors, e85, and a bap you can get a lot from the blower with the stock pulley at 6.5lbs of boost.

I haven't seen where it's bap related. Sounds like the pulley size, bad gas, and cold weather is the culprit.

593 tq is not overdoing it :shrug:

germeezy1

Established Member
Cylinder pressure is huge in the high load , relatively low rpm window....and that alone is enough to send rods, and pistons crying home to momma. You add a bit of trace detonation, and it can easily window the block.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
593 tq is not overdoing it :shrug:

It most certainly is, but other factors like the use of e85 having less detonation and less air at 6.5lbs of boost entering the engine become factors as well. The more air your bringing in the more torque and higher cylinder pressure your making. In this case were talking about 15lbs of boost coming in and more than likely a bad batch of gas which caused bad detonation which led to rods and pistons flying and the hole in his block.

by9468840

Established Member
Guys stop being too hung up on boost. Roush or frpp stock tunes run big boost with stock pulley but low timing. Boost is all about restriction to how much air you can put in cylinder. You can run 15psi with 13* timing or 11 psi with 17-18* ignition timing. Both would do probably about similar amount of power. It's all about the tune and how it commands the cam and ignition timing. Op looks like had a decent custom tune. I think the whole destruction was just physical. Everything breaks at some point depending on the force you apply

prn1972

Established Member
I don't believe it was bad gas but who knows. I get my gas at the same place all the time & never had a problem with it. I believe it was a bent rod that finally gave out. MMR say they see bent rods all the time & people don't even know it. I drive the car about once a week & of course have to do a least one hard pull in 3rd or 4th. Had the same gas in it for the last few weeks & its been 30 - 40 degrees here for awhile now. I think its just a combination of the instant hit of the TVS & sucky rods finally giving out

prn1972

Established Member
Guys stop being too hung up on boost. Roush or frpp stock tunes run big boost with stock pulley but low timing. Boost is all about restriction to how much air you can put in cylinder. You can run 15psi with 13* timing or 11 psi with 17-18* ignition timing. Both would do probably about similar amount of power. It's all about the tune and how it commands the cam and ignition timing. Op looks like had a decent custom tune. I think the whole destruction was just physical. Everything breaks at some point depending on the force you apply
Yes..what he said

germeezy1

Established Member
I will repeat again that internals (rods and pistons) do not see boost, power or torque. They don't care about arbitrary power , torque, or boost levels created as hard fast rules. They do see cylinder pressure, and without an understanding of cylinder pressure, SCR, and DCR it is hard to understand for the average person. Torque, load and rpm are directly related to cylinder pressure so those factors at least give some type of reference point.

TexasStang4585

Snake eater
Established Member
...just wondering where I can find info about this? and how did you come to the conclusion that the failure is BAP related?

Never said it was a Bap failure, if you read I hinted about running that much boost on 93 and then I mentioned he did have previous knock issues.

I'll say this though....You guys keep running your baps and pushing the limits on the stock pump I bet money you will be rebuilding again. :kaboom:

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
He didn't make this thread for sympathy, nor did he come in here acting like he's the victim of poor products, he simply said he knew he was pushing the limits and it popped...

I don't understand the need for the "you deserved it" posts from the fuel system police...

No matter what caused it, or who's fault it was, sorry to hear about your motor man. It's gotta be kind of exciting knowing that you're going to have a stronger motor pretty soon :)

orangastang

Established Member
Never said it was a Bap failure, if you read I hinted about running that much boost on 93 and then I mentioned he did have previous knock issues.

I'll say this though....You guys keep running your baps and pushing the limits on the stock pump I bet money you will be rebuilding again. :kaboom:

Yes sir and he stated that the knock sensors sensitivity was lowered? :nonono:

prn1972

Established Member

I thought you said you were not going to say anything else in this tread

Yes sir and he stated that the knock sensors sensitivity was lowered? :nonono:
Yes they were turned down after we figured out it was false knock, you know you put race fuel in & knock is still there its false knock, plus it ran for months after they were turned down

prn1972

Established Member
He didn't make this thread for sympathy, nor did he come in here acting like he's the victim of poor products, he simply said he knew he was pushing the limits and it popped...

I don't understand the need for the "you deserved it" posts from the fuel system police...

No matter what caused it, or who's fault it was, sorry to hear about your motor man. It's gotta be kind of exciting knowing that you're going to have a stronger motor pretty soon :)

Thanks man...I don't know why people get all bent out of shape...its not their car or money...I'm not telling anyone to do what I did...I will take most peoples opinions with a grain of salt, after I do some more research & talk to people that do this stuff every day( I.e.- JPC, AED, MMR, my tuner & others) I will decide which way to go

Last edited:

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Reminds me of:

someone-is-wrong-on-the-internet_zpsd923ee91.jpg

TexasStang4585

Snake eater
Established Member
Hope that tax return is good because your gonna need that plus some when it's all said and done. Bad part is you probably didn't track it, so it was all for nothing.....bet you wish you would have turned down the boost to keep it alive huh?

mg3playa

Established Member
I don't believe it was bad gas but who knows. I get my gas at the same place all the time & never had a problem with it. I believe it was a bent rod that finally gave out. MMR say they see bent rods all the time & people don't even know it. I drive the car about once a week & of course have to do a least one hard pull in 3rd or 4th. Had the same gas in it for the last few weeks & its been 30 - 40 degrees here for awhile now. I think its just a combination of the instant hit of the TVS & sucky rods finally giving out

How do you have a bent rod and not know it??? Can anyone prove this to me.

Users who are viewing this thread