Just Blew The Engine Up!

Shaun@AED

Winter blend fuel is killing us right now. They add Butane in winter and this year seems to be particularly bad. I've been chatting with tuners about it all over the country. On average Fords are taking 3 degrees less timing than summer blend fuel.

Cold dense air and desensitized knock settings don't help matters IMO.

Badbob2121

ЯTR #054
Established Member
Damn, that sucks.. I know how it feels when you blow an engine (just not in my mustang)

Just remember, its better than putting it into a wall ;-)

by9468840

Established Member
I'm curious if it was really bad gas/knock/detonation or was just physical fatigue.
No matter how good the tune is, there is gotta be a limit to how much force you can apply to stock piston/rod.

D.T.R

Established Member
You seem to be in good spirits but damn....that sucks. Damn cylinder pressure is a mother!

i don't think is cylinder pressure but actually the limits of the rods.
Seems like he broke a rod... and I'm sure that's not due to cyl pressure but actually because they thin stock rods were pushed near double what they make from factory and pushed that way for way too long. Not to mention that the power comes in all at once also.

germeezy1

Established Member
When you are already pushing the edges of cylinder pressure even a bit of trace detonation is all that it takes to push the engine over the edge. I know in the mod motor world many tuners tune based on desensitized knock sensors or many motor builds have no knock sensor but that is a recipe for disaster IMO.

germeezy1

Established Member
i don't think is cylinder pressure but actually the limits of the rods.
Seems like he broke a rod... and I'm sure that's not due to cyl pressure but actually because they thin stock rods were pushed near double what they make from factory and pushed that way for way too long. Not to mention that the power comes in all at once also.

You just described the affects of cylinder pressure which can definitely push rods, and pistons past the fatigue points. I would assume that it took a bit of detonation in that high load situation to cause the failure though. Rods, and pistons do not see hp or torque...they see cylinder pressure.

burke985

Established Member
It's obviously boost related ,15 psi is too much on the stock Block this just proves it even more. I've called Roush, Ford Racing basically everyone under the sun who would know and they all said no more than 12 psi on the stock bottom end if you want it to live a while. That's why I'm just gonna be happy where I'm at.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Really sorry to hear about this! Please let us know if we can help, the top end of the Motor is likely salvageable which means we can build you a new shortblock, repair the heads and get you back on the road with a new 1000HP shortblock, ARP head studs and complete longblock assembly labor for roughly $4500.

We also have a brand new 9.5 to 1 aluminator here that we can ship today for just $7800 shipped (not quite as nice however as the MMR 1000 shortblock)

Let us know if we can help!

MMR
805 383 4130
Modular Motorsports Racing

5.0%20launch.jpg

Last edited:

grnenvy

Established Member
Dude that really sucks I hate to see this. Some of u forget just because one car can make 700rwhp without blowing up but another blows up at 600rwhp that's what u get with factory motors.
If I had to guess I would bet octane has something to do with this.
If everyone used Torco u would see a lot less failures.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Wow thats really shitty sry to see op. Im just curious why you were pushing it so hard knowing it was on borrowed time with that much boost? Seems like you were trying to blow your motor. I hope the top end is ok and the blower didn't get any pieces in it. Good luck with the new build I'm sure it will be a beast.

NickSezz

Established Member
Car only has 11,000 miles on it. Wonder if Ford will warranty it..LOL
Figured I would be really pissed off but I'm not... I say **** it...I got a credit card & not long till tax returns.

I will post up more pix with my tuner/engine builder gets it to his shop. I hope the crank & heads were not damaged. And that nothing got in the blower. Keep my fingers crossed. Probably be a few was till I get it to the shop.

Cold weather days are at it again! Sorry to see this carnage OP.

Year after year in the Lightning community we saw this happen and built many short/long blocks in the winter days.

Those guys that are pushing the limits of the stock block, try to resist WOT when it is under 40 degrees. That "Polar Vortex" has some dense air.

OP. You will be lucky to find your heads and supercharger in good shape. Odds are that piston you found under the car bounced off the head a few time before it lodged itself somewhere in the k-member then fell on the ground. Pull off the intake and see if there is a pool of oil in the throttle body. That will give you an idea how far she puked up the intake track.

Good luck on the build and ditch that BAP and get a fuel system for the new motor. That BAP is a band-aid on a broken leg at your power level.

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
Damn dude, same exact thing happened to me in my TVS a month ago. no crap, down shifted to 4th at around 4-4.5 grand and floored it and blew up. I had to take the front bumper off to get towed. Just to warn you, my supercharger ate up pieces of the piston/rings/rods. So it has to be replaced or rebuilt. I was quoted minimum $2,300.00 to rebuild my charger. You can get a new VMP Roush head unit from one of the venders on this site for a little over $3 grand and some change. I Also windowed the block. Engine is complete trash now. I hope your charger is still good, mine died with the motor.

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
Also, I'm curious to find out which cylinder(s) blew on your engine. Mine completely shattered #1 & #5 which are the front ones on each bank. The rest looked great with zero detonation marks to include #8, looking perfect to include the plugs. This leads me to believe it was just too much power for the rods. Its also cold here too. My tune had 14* timing and air/fuel was spot on using my interceptor gauge.

Users who are viewing this thread