Just dynoed, are my numbers low?

bubbaflaat

Established Member
Well I just ran my car on the dyno and after reading other people's dyno runs I kinda think my numbers are low. Made 413 WHP and 447 WTQ. I have a printout of the dyno graph but not on my computer. For the first few runs i was real lean so I richened it up with my preditor tuner and the a/f ratio is between 11.5 and 12 from about 4K to redline, got some power across the powerband by doing that but not much peak power. It was gonna be tuned but the tuner had something come up and called in at the last minute so I just ran some baselines and got the a/f to a safer range. Also, the dyno was using STD correction factor too so doesn't that make my SAE numbers even lower? I was datalogging about 19 degrees spark advance in the lower rpm range and 22 from about 4k-redline. So that is about where it should be right? I'm running the generic preditor "pulley tune" to start with and then added some more fuel onto that because the wideband was showing lean. My mods are:
2.76 upper, k&n ram air intake, magnaflow catback, catless x-pipe, heat exchanger, 4.10 gears, eagle forged crank and rods, arias -17cc pistons. I realize its hard to advise what is wrong without a dyno graph to see but does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

bubbaflaat

Established Member
here is a picture of the dyno screen after a few runs

dynoday011.jpg

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Your HP is def. a little low...my numbers in the sig are on the lower end compared to others with comparable mods, but mine is a very safe tune on 93 octane...
Were you on a dynojet or mustang dyno?
Can you post the dyno sheet?

bubbaflaat

Established Member
Dynojet dyno. I'm going back on monday for getting it tuned better so we'll see how that goes. Downside is they say they use HP tuning software and I haven't heard much good about them for ford cars. So I guess i'll be a test rat.

Last edited:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Your numbers are low.......did you allow the car to cool down at all or just get straight on the dyno? Wild guess...maybe heatsoak? Even with a H/E there will be SOME heatsoak, but it shouldn't be that bad. I know without a cool down my car went from making 430 on the initial run to 414. HUGE drop. I let the car cool down for awhile and put some ice to help and boom....I got the numbers you see in my sig. Might be an option.....just thinking out loud, but I honestly don't know.

Last edited:

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
Mine only made 415 rwhp and 403 rwtq with the mods in my signature. Very very close to your mods. I am on a completely stock tune and it was 94 degrees that day and I didn't allow for a cool down. A buddy with a 2.8 and exhaust dynoed 445rwhp in 62 degree weather. So I'm guessing you were running hot. Cool downs are for people looking for numbers only. The tuner told me there is about a ~15 hp increase/decrease with every ~10 degrees in temperature. Making it pulls on the car when it is at full operating temerature is a more accurate indication anyway imo. When your driving and someone pulls up next to you to race do you ask them to let your car cool down first.

Last edited:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Mine only made 415 rwhp and 403 rwtq with the mods in my signature. Very very close to your mods. I am on a completely stock tune and it was 94 degrees that day and I didn't allow for a cool down. A buddy with the a 2.8 and exhaust dynoed 445rwhp in 62 degree weather. So I'm guess you were running hot. Cool downs are for people looking for numbers only. When your driving and someone pulls up next to you to race do you ask them to let your car cool down first. Make it pulls on the car when it is at full operating temerature is a more accurate indication imo.

don't agree completly. Cool downs are for people look for optimal results. There are so many factors...he could have driven it hard on the way to the dyno, it could be an abnormally hot day, etc, etc....list goes on. I know that, I for one pretty much stay out of boost all the time....so my car tends to run at lower temps. So, I would have a better race then say someone who was in the boost all the time while driving, correct? Someone who was heat soaked from being in constant or frequent boost?

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
don't agree completly. Cool downs are for people look for optimal results. There are so many factors...he could have driven it hard on the way to the dyno, it could be an abnormally hot day, etc, etc....list goes on. I know that, I for one pretty much stay out of boost all the time....so my car tends to run at lower temps. So, I would have a better race then say someone who was in the boost all the time while driving, correct? Someone who was heat soaked from being in constant or frequent boost?

I could go with that. I'm in boost quite a bit. :shrug:

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I could go with that. I'm in boost quite a bit. :shrug:

I honestly don't know, that is just my guess, but I figured it made sense :rolling: If he was in boost a lot and doesn't have a ported blower, the heatsoak on that damn HEATON will own him....sounds like it did.....just like it did for me with no cool down time. Each run I lost at least 10hp. They were all back to back runs...I did three. First run was with the car sitting for about 2 hours.

With a 2.76, he should be making what.....450-460 or so?

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
I honestly don't know, that is just my guess, but I figured it made sense If he was in boost a lot and doesn't have a ported blower, the heatsoak on that damn HEATON will own him....sounds like it did.....just like it did for me with no cool down time. Each run I lost at least 10hp. They were all back to back runs...I did three. First run was with the car sitting for about 2 hours.

I know exactly what you mean. I know for a fact mine didn't cool down much more then 30 minutes before I dynoed it and I think I got into the boost right before I got to the shop. I pulled it a second time and my power went from 415 to 397 on the second run. I quit there because I could definately tell it was just getting more and more heat soaked.

With a 2.76, he should be making what.....450-460 or so?

You would think so. Then again I thought I'd make 440-450 with my 2.76 pulley too. These cars seem extremely sensitive to temp changes. More so than I remember my SS being.

The Sync

VTAK!
Established Member
I made 402whp and 372wtq with the mods in my sig. Yours seems really low for the mods you have listed.

edit: It was actually 368wtq. My bad!

Last edited:

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
I made 402whp and 372wtq with the mods in my sig. Yours seems really low for the mods you have listed.

What was the outside air temp the day you dynoed? What was your cars temp? How long did you let it cool down before you made the first pull?

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I know exactly what you mean. I know for a fact mine didn't cool down much more then 30 minutes before I dynoed it and I think I got into the boost right before I got to the shop. I pulled it a second time and my power went from 415 to 397 on the second run. I quit there because I could definately tell it was just getting more and more heat soaked.

You would think so. Then again I thought I'd make 440-450 with my 2.76 pulley too. These cars seem extremely sensitive to temp changes. More so than I remember my SS being.

I agree completely with the temperature thing. It is amazing how quickly and drastically it can effect a motor. I want to put a brace on the car but then I want go the ported rout.

I started noticing heatsoak after my pulley. I don't remember feeling it so much when I was stock. I would get into it and it would feel great and pull REALLY hard, but when I kept doing it, it felt weaker than when it was a "virgin." Granted I don't have a H/E, but still....it is a noticeable change. I sure hope that a port will help with that issue....I'm not so much looking for more rwhp, but rather consistency!

Users who are viewing this thread