Just dynoed, are my numbers low?

bubbaflaat

Established Member
I think i have autolite plugs in there right now, will they make that big of differance? Should i change to NGKs?

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
What RPM are most people running to? I usually let off a hair past 6K. Is that too early?

It really depends on where your power peaks as 96stangt points out on his.

my power currently peaks at 5900 so I don't go past 6k either. Supposedly an opened up throttle body & plenum will allow power to contiue until 6500.

96stanggt, what intake are you running?

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I think i have autolite plugs in there right now, will they make that big of differance? Should i change to NGKs?

You should change your plugs to NGK 4177s...those are TR6s which is a little colder than the stock plug...IMHO, one should always change to a colder plug when increasing the boost with a smaller pulley

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member

Autolite makes a colder heat rang plug (equivalent) to a TR6 as well and no it won't make that much difference. Autolite makes good plugs. I think NGK's are better but Autolites are my next choice for sure.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
It really depends on where your power peaks as 96stangt points out on his.

my power currently peaks at 5900 so I don't go past 6k either. Supposedly an opened up throttle body & plenum will allow power to contiue until 6500.

96stanggt, what intake are you running?

Even if your power peaks at 5900 you will want to run your dyno pull, and shift points when racing, a bit past that. If you shift directly at your peak power it will likely bring you too far down in the RPM range in the next gear.

I run a JLT RAI tube with a 12" S&B filter on the end.

Last edited:

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
Even if your power peaks at 5900 you will want to run you're dyno pull, and shift points when racing, a bit past that. If you shift directly at your peak power it will likely bring you too far down in the RPM range in the next gear.

I run a JLT RAI tube with a 12" S&B filter on the end.

Right, I shift about 200 rpm past the peak. My rpm falls back down to about 4k rpm for the next gear and the car makes peak torque at 4k rpm which is just about right where I've always heard you want to be when hitting your shift point. Do you disagree?

Good to know about your 12" filter. I'm running the small filter in the fender but after talking back and forth with Badass03 I'm buying the 12" filter and moving my maf out of the fender.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Right, I shift about 200 rpm past the peak. My rpm falls back down to about 4k rpm for the next gear and the car makes peak torque at 4k rpm which is just about right where I've always heard you want to be when hitting your shift point. Do you disagree?

Nope I agree

bubbaflaat

Established Member
So is a cold air setup not working as good as they are cracked up to be? Are people really using the ram air setup over the cold air?

Silverboost

Established Member
you can have a lot of things going on to cause low numbers. First and foremost I think your tune is jacked. If I was you I would consider doing a compression test just to rule out the bottom end. If you want to be more thorough do a leak down test. Definitely though get a tune by a reputable tuner. I think that is where you are going to your missing power.

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
So is a cold air setup not working as good as they are cracked up to be? Are people really using the ram air setup over the cold air?

I don't know. Badass03 uses the JLT cold air and he runs high 10's low 11's @ 130 mph no spray; so it can't be too bad. How did you come out today?

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
you can have a lot of things going on to cause low numbers. First and foremost I think your tune is jacked. If I was you I would consider doing a compression test just to rule out the bottom end. If you want to be more thorough do a leak down test. Definitely though get a tune by a reputable tuner. I think that is where you are going to your missing power.

Good advice...even if you have to drive a couple of hours or fly someone in.

bubbaflaat

Established Member
So I went back yesterday, and they got 436HP but killed the torque to 420. LOL before i was happy with the tq and a little let down buy peak HP now its the opposite. IDK I guess i'll just try out a different place. The shop said their dyno read a little bit low but those are STD numbers to begin with.

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
So I went back yesterday, and they got 436HP but killed the torque to 420. LOL before i was happy with the tq and a little let down buy peak HP now its the opposite. IDK I guess i'll just try out a different place. The shop said their dyno read a little bit low but those are STD numbers to begin with.

I'd definately try another place that uses the predator. You ought to check your compression to rule that out as well.

blk00gtvert

Established Member
Anyone have any recomendations for tuners in south florida/tampa area?

hey gavin its matt. you could try going to tampa. sam at coastal uses diablo.
if you are let me know first and i will put your car back to stock.:)
however as i told you before the power is not tune related. you lost torque because your AF was 13.8 on the old tune all the way to 4000 rpm.
you are now at a perfect 11.5 the added fuel down low caused the torque loss. you could try dynoing with my tune on a different dyno and see if it reads any higher before changing the tune :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread