Just got a Terminator, and 68 Miles later it's broke.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
3. Texas!

So as mentioned, going down to Texas in what was basically a maiden voyage was... interesting.

The car was deafening at highway speeds with massive reverberation on the interior. It was also cruising at 3,000rpm. I pulled over to check everything and do some gear math. Yup, 4.10, yup the exhaust was banging/riding the rear sway bar. Apparently this is a common issue with the Team-Z arms (which move the sway bar back 2 inches) and the Magnaflow Cat-back which is known to fit like shit and be a bang-monster.

By the time I got to Fort Worth the hangers had broke. I ended up getting it fixed over in Joshua. I had also wanted to swing by TDP and get Jason to look at my trans in person. It's still noisy, but not as noisy as before. I was thinking it was the TOB, but it's not.

So after visiting family in Forth Worth I headed down to Austin to see my friends. Long time friend Jason had moved their this year when he got a job working as a computer engineer for Cobb Tuning. Kid's a freaking genius when it comes to tuning and building cars.

Since I had no way to tune or data log, we just did some pulls and what not. From a roll I pull hard past his 525whp Evo. From a dig I'd be at his rear door. According to him I'm dumping crazy fuel (~11 AFR WOT). There is also a mid-throttle tuning issue where the car dumps fuel if you try and roll off mid-throttle into it. As for the trans, according to Jason (Friend) it's differently gear meshing noise.

The rear was also just driving me nuts.

So, I went to the junk yard to grab some V6 springs. I figured they'd raise the rear to clear the bar.

08EFAF08-AF44-45AB-970C-3A255E4F73DD_zpsv5trugel.jpg

Ended up just ditching the sway bar. Whole rear is sketchy as hell now, but at least it quieted the car down a lot. Raised the front to eliminate the tire scrubbing.

8C2328A5-F87D-4913-A8E1-A0FA9E2EF075_zps2w3h2g9i.jpg

Heading home,

74816BA9-37B8-40C7-B1A5-8CE7F9440571_zpsrs8ufugc.jpg

Rained all the way back.

728D8ADB-E43A-46E1-A548-BAACC25CC3D6_zpsnfukptpv.jpg

What the hell is this crap?!?!
9A960407-BB69-4180-8CFE-AE54D442688F_zpsi9vsvors.jpg

Finding premium became a nightmare, grabbed a bottle of octane booster and had to settle for 91-octane with booster.

More rain.

98F92EE5-0D8B-4A2F-869B-F92931B49915_zpsq7vrdvox.jpg

Car turned 40k.
3E754503-5D2C-410F-9B24-91D254C4B86D_zpsjjathdwd.jpg

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
4. Winter Plans.

So what's the plan?

Well I need to do some work, don't I?

The Rear is looser then an Austin Texas Stripper drunk off her ass saying "I'm actually from Austin" as if it matters. I've looked at going 9", but even a budget build is $3k and it seems like anymore everyone just runs 8.8. VRI's 1,300whp Cobra is running an 8.8 and I believe he's got the fastest Cobra out there.

So, I'm guessing I should just follow Team-Z's proven path. Solid Axle Bushings and their upper relocation kit.

I need to replace the suspension. I'm not sure with what - I was leaning toward Bilsteins until I realized they are under dampened for any performance springs.

Need to rebuild the Posi, luckily finding a 3.31 or 3.27 R&P will be dirt cheap. I'm debating on having someone install it or doing it myself. It seems like a PITA. Aye.

Fluid change on the Trans as well. Maybe it's just breaking. I still need to get a hold of Jason at TDP.

MG0h3

Established Member
Damn man. Youve handled it better than me.

Seems like everyone had a very high opinion of High End but something went terribly wrong with this transaction.

I def. think they are responsible for misrepresenting any mods and at a minimum, the wheels.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I need to replace the suspension. I'm not sure with what - I was leaning toward Bilsteins until I realized they are under dampened for any performance springs.

Where did you hear that? I'm just curious. I've never heard that about Bilsteins. But I'm just a canyon carver.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Where did you hear that? I'm just curious. I've never heard that about Bilsteins. But I'm just a canyon carver.

Several places on this form.

The Bilstiens HDs sold on LMR/AM are the "standards" that are just the OEM replacements. They are quality shocks but not designed for aggressive lowering springs.

So I'm at a loss on what to do suspension wise.

BC Racing Coilovers are $950.

Feel Coilovers are $1,350, come with swift springs, any valving/spring rate combo and are available as true rear coilovers.

Bilsteins + SVE springs are $800.

There is a whole range is shocks and springs from KYBs at $414.99 to Koni Streets and Eibachs at $650.

I also know Fox shocks and springs can be mounted but are lower... so maybe that is the direction I want to say, shorter stroke and lower springs.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
There are a lOT of places that are more expensive than MM. No reason to stay away from them if you can afford them. I have a ton of MM stuff on my Cobra quality stuff and not near as expensive as say steeda, rousch or some of the others

I tend to shy away from MM. They are very expensive and I feel people just go with them anymore because they've been around forever and are the "default" answer to everything.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The reason I asked is because I have the MM coilovers with Bilstein HD's. I'm very happy with them. The car rides like it did with the stock Bilsteins and H&R race springs despite being about another half inch lower. The difference in handling was noticeable even before I put the K member on.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
The bilstein HD that MM sells are not "factory replacements". The factory coupe and vert have unique part numbers to match the factory spring rate for each....neither of which are the HD. The HD will compliment a wide range of performance springs. I had those HDs on my '04 mystichrome with H&R race springs and it rode and handled fantastic.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/1987-04-Bilstein-HD-series-strut-35-041382-P773.aspx

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/1999-04-Bilstein-HD-series-IRS-shock-24-185356-P786.aspx

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
The bilstein HD that MM sells are not "factory replacements". The factory coupe and vert have unique part numbers to match the factory spring rate for each....neither of which are the HD. The HD will compliment a wide range of performance springs. I had those HDs on my '04 mystichrome with H&R race springs and it rode and handled fantastic.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/1987-04-Bilstein-HD-series-strut-35-041382-P773.aspx

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/1999-04-Bilstein-HD-series-IRS-shock-24-185356-P786.aspx

I pictures of the ride highly?

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
OH MY GAWD!!

Is that a Lifted Bronco or a Mustang?!!

I kid, I kid, looks good.

I love the ride hight on my car, but it scraps if you drive aggressively... thus defeating the cars purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Alright. Screw it.

Where is the best price on HD Bilstiens?

The car is a highway car, not a race car. I just need to KISS.

LMR has HDs and their well reviewed Springs for $800. They normally have 3-10% off sales and coupons.

I'm also looking to do the Team-Z upper relocation arms. It's $400, but comes with solid axle bushings essentially saving me $100, so it's a $300 kit. Not bad for better geometry.

Get that and some gears installed and I'll be good for TX2K in March.

3.27 or 3.31 gears? Car is on 17's making 600whp.

John M

Blue Oval
Established Member
if your interested I'm selling the setup I was going to run mm k member mm lower control arms/mm shocks and adj coil overs and mm caster camber plates Ill look later tonight at what the spring rate is, pm me if your interested I bought them used from a member on here minus the mm caster camber plates those are new

hotcobra03

Established Member
Alright. Screw it.

LMR has HDs and their well reviewed Springs for $800. They normally have 3-10% off sales and coupons.

I'm also looking to do the Team-Z upper relocation arms. It's $400, but comes with solid axle bushings essentially saving me $100, so it's a $300 kit. Not bad for better geometry.

Alright. Screw it.

i had 327 in cause they were free..i didnt like it..it was hard to not lug around..unless you like to drive around in 4th..

i wanted to try 331..with 355 im still looking for another gear..

Users who are viewing this thread