Just installed my Tri-Ax shifter (again!)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Some of you might remember that I installed a Tri-Ax shifter back in March/April and removed it after a couple of days because it was too noisy. I went back to the stock shifter with an MGW handle. It was quiet again, but the shift action wasn't as crisp. I just couldn't live with the sloppy stock shifter so I ordered another Tri-Ax (sold the first one) and installed it over the weekend. I took the car out today and not only is the shift action much better, but guess what? No transmission noise. It is actually quieter than my stock shifter. I can't figure this one out but I'm totally happy. I did use the rubber gasket that came with the shifter, but I had tried that with the old shifter to no avail.
:beer:

mosconiac

Established Member
Not doubting you mechanical abilities, but you may have inadvertently had a stop adjusted too close to the handle creating a rattle. Mine was a bit too tight at first and that caused a NASTY buzz when in third gear.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by mosconiac
Not doubting you mechanical abilities, but you may have inadvertently had a stop adjusted too close to the handle creating a rattle. Mine was a bit too tight at first and that caused a NASTY buzz when in third gear.
No, I had a sufficient gap. I gapped both the same way. I'm not looking for the reason per se. I'm just happy it is quiet while doing its job!
:)

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
It's the rubber gasket on the shifter it makes a major difference. Also if you get some high durometer silicon rubber and put it between the handle and shifter is will make it even quiter.

CuLaTeR

Established Member
I have the tri-ax shifter as well. This is quiet compared to the B&M ripper shifter in my 96 mystic. My first impressions of the tri-ax were swayed due to the notchiness but over the past couple hundred miles, the notchiness went away. Extremely happy with all my Steeda mods. As a good gesture I guess, Steeda sent me all the current Steeda decals. Rather nice of them I thought. Was rather surprised today when UPS showed up knocking at my door. Not a fan of stickers though! Might put on the black cobra bumper inserts though. :thumbsup:

Zinc03

Established Member
Rubber gasket?? It has been a while, but I don't remember a gasket. Permatex under shfter and two bolts to connect handle. Ther was no gasket referenced in my instructions, Am I missing something?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Zinc03
Rubber gasket?? It has been a while, but I don't remember a gasket. Permatex under shfter and two bolts to connect handle. Ther was no gasket referenced in my instructions, Am I missing something?

He is referring to taking the rubber boot off of the stock shifter and putting it on the tri-ax before you install it. It is not in the instructions.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Bob, after I get my Cobra I'll let you know if the shifter makes any noise. I don't care if it does or doesn't, I love the Tri-ax!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by 03CobraHopeful
Bob, after I get my Cobra I'll let you know if the shifter makes any noise. I don't care if it does or doesn't, I love the Tri-ax!
When you're hooked, you're hooked. LOL!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by toofast4u
He is referring to taking the rubber boot off of the stock shifter and putting it on the tri-ax before you install it. It is not in the instructions.
No, that's not what I meant. Poor choice of words. I meant the rubber 2-hole bushing that comes with the shifter. You can either use it to quiet down the shifter or go with the metal bushings. Sorry about that! I need to point out again that I used that very same bushing with the first Tri-Ax and believe me, it was so noisy it was annoying. The stock shifter was a lot better but did emit some tranny noise. Nothing that was bothersome, though. But this thing is QUIET. Go figure! All I know is that I'm very happy with it. Later.
:burnout:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
I installed the MGW handle on my car almost when new, and have noticed a big change in how the trans sounds and shifts over 2000 miles. These T56's have poor tolerances and really change with breakin (apparently they are speced much worse than Viper T56's). In other words, the trans is probably quieter because it's broken in between your first and second Tri-Ax installs.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by PhillyCobra
I installed the MGW handle on my car almost when new, and have noticed a big change in how the trans sounds and shifts over 2000 miles. These T56's have poor tolerances and really change with breakin (apparently they are speced much worse than Viper T56's). In other words, the trans is probably quieter because it's broken in between your first and second Tri-Ax installs.
I would think, though, that if the tolerances are poor at the beginning then if anything they should get worse. Right? I had the same issue with the 6-speed in my '94 Callaway Camaro. But the noise wasn't a factor with the Corvette transmission. I actually talked to an engineer at Borg Warner who explained that the Corvette transmission was quieter because the specs were tighter than the Camaro. (You get what you pay for he said. LOL!) In the 6 years I had the car the noise never got better. It definitely got worse.

Zinc03

Established Member
Thanks for the clarification. I do get some additional noise from the tranny now. I deal with it, but there is this ringing in 5th that drives me crazy. I did reuse the stock boot. I think I will try adding a little rubber tape between the shifter and the handle. Any thoughts on that?

PhillyCobra

Established Member
In the case of tolerances, clearances can be too small as well as too large, resulting in improvement with wear, which is a common way to make and engine or trans. In the case of my trans, the shifting has really improved over 2000 miles, becoming lower effort and more precise.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Zinc03
Thanks for the clarification. I do get some additional noise from the tranny now. I deal with it, but there is this ringing in 5th that drives me crazy. I did reuse the stock boot. I think I will try adding a little rubber tape between the shifter and the handle. Any thoughts on that?
Some have bought neoprene washers at Home Depot and put them between the shifter and the handle. However, Steeda gives you a rubber 2-hole grommet/washer that does the same thing. The only other recommendation is to do a search on the subject because I remember a post not too long ago that stated how to add sound deadening material.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Pointcover, do you have any issues with the Pro 5.0? That's a nice quality shifter you have. Certainly equal to the Tri-Ax. I just happen to like my Tri-Ax. And.....I've never used a Pro 5.0 before. LOL!
:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread