Just my luck....No compression cylinders 1-4

SirKing

Established Member
Just throwing this out there to see if I can get a few suggestions.

Bought Rob Millers old 04 mystichrome cobra October of 2014. Went on a 30-45 minute test drive with the owner and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Looked over the car and ended up making a deal on it. Put about a 100 miles on it before winter hit. Car ran fine, no issues minus a oil leak. It had some fugly chrome valve covers and I wanted to get the Kenne Bell 2.6 rebuilt. Made the decision I was going to address those this winter.

Pulled the blower and shipped it to Kenne Bell for rebuild. When removing the lower intake I immediately put duct tape over the ports and covered it with a towel. Pulled the valve covers and inspected the cams. Made sure nothing dropped into this area. immediately replaced the valve covers with new ones. Got the blower back and installed it. Car ran horrible and had a nasty miss fire. Started troubleshooting and we had spark and fuel. Car was flooding itself with fuel to the point the passenger side plugs were soaked when we pulled them. I was thinking it was going to be a pinched wire and plan on just giving it to my tuner to figure out. Before dropping it off this Friday (4/10) to my tuner, I made the decision to do a compression test.

No compression on the passenger side, cylinders 1-4. I have no idea what could have happen buy just trying to turn it over and start it. No rattling from the passenger side. Never heard a loud pop or anything. Plan on pulling the blower and valve cover here in the next couple of days when I get the energy to even look at it.

Any suggestions?

Friends think I'm cursed when it comes to cars. I don't have a whole lot of luck and sold my low miles (22k) Azure Blue Mach 1 for this car. Feeling a little sick to my stomach

hotcobra03

Established Member
Fwiw..I had issue before with cam gear breaking while driving car..it ran for a couple mins on 4 cylinders. .

had replaced gear and car was still fine without valve damage..

I had same findings with plugs soaked in fuel ..found issuse same way..0 compression in all 4 ..

its hard when buying used...these things happen. After you pull cover let us know whats not turning...

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
That really blows.
Never heard a story like that before.
No choice time to shake it down, pull the motor, and
Inspect everything.
It's not even my car, and I'm dying to know what happened
I can't imagine how you feel but,
Hope everything works out.

Pac Man

Too Much Is Never Enough
Established Member
Please keep us updated! I am hoping it's nothing too serious.

SirKing

Established Member
Passenger side intake cam gear said peace out. It was broken in two pieces and did some damage to the cam. Going to swap a new (used) cam in and see if Ive damaged any of the valves.

Zemedici

Established Member
Passenger side intake cam gear said peace out. It was broken in two pieces and did some damage to the cam. Going to swap a new (used) cam in and see if Ive damaged any of the valves.

hoping no valve damage. Keep us updated :beer:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Was it the primary or secondary. ..

mine was secondary

mine also made marks on cam..I just filed it and put new gear on..

It also had cracked the adjuster inside...

I was able to replace both pieces without having to pull front cover.

I had used a paper clip in adjuster vs pin

Users who are viewing this thread