Just picking up my first GT500!

svt_redf1re

Established Member
Having this car delivered to me next week, it'll be my first one. I'm coming from a 600 rwhp 04 Cobra but I don't know much about these Shelby's.

Any insight as to things I should do for better QOL or longevity would be much appreciated! Car has 35k miles and I don't plan on doing a whole lot with it. Maybe pulley, tune, exhaust, intake and leave it alone. It's an SVT performance package car. TIA

Attachments

• IMG_20230327_135805.jpg
    IMG_20230327_135805.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20230327_135808.jpg
    IMG_20230327_135808.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20230327_135817.jpg
    IMG_20230327_135817.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 114

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Welcome to the club… off the top of my head and other will add -

Change the fluids (all of them) including brake and coolants too
Check replaced brakes /rotors
Check /replace the belts
Probably wouldn’t hurt changing out the spark plugs
Buy / add a passenger side oil catch can
Get with vmp or venomous for a tune
Drop in a mgw shifter

svt_redf1re

Established Member
Welcome to the club… off the top of my head and other will add -

Change the fluids (all of them) including brake and coolants too
Check replaced brakes /rotors
Check /replace the belts
Probably wouldn’t hurt changing out the spark plugs
Buy / add a passenger side oil catch can
Get with vmp or venomous for a tune
Drop in a mgw shifter
Thanks man, I know a lot of services have been done at the dealer before I bought it but I'll try to go through and see what's left

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Thanks man, I know a lot of services have been done at the dealer before I bought it but I'll try to go through and see what's left
It’s cheap insurance. If you can feel
You can trust it skip it if not I’d do changes anyways least then you know it’s done, with correct levels, correct product.

If the tires are 6 7 8 years old I’d look into replacement of those too.

As far a exterior I’d look at a PPF and ceramic coat combo.

HKusp

Established Member
I would answer that with the caveat of he is the only one that I have had tune my GT500. He has the most experience, I believe, in the s197 GT500 community. He was one of the first in the country at 1000HP when that was a pretty big deal, and he worked for VMP for several years. You will not be disappointed in his tuning abilities on this platform. BTW, he tunes my Whippled S550 as well. I am not paid by him. I have never met him in person, but he has treated me right, explained things and went above and beyond what I had paid for. One on one customer service means a lot to me.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Having this car delivered to me next week, it'll be my first one. I'm coming from a 600 rwhp 04 Cobra but I don't know much about these Shelby's.

Any insight as to things I should do for better QOL or longevity would be much appreciated! Car has 35k miles and I don't plan on doing a whole lot with it. Maybe pulley, tune, exhaust, intake and leave it alone. It's an SVT performance package car. TIA
Very nice! Congrats! I think you're really going to love the GT500. Better technology, much more cabin space, handles similarly, but rides better.

I did pretty much the same thing in 2010 as you are now: went from a decently modified 03' Cobra to a bone stock 2007 GT500. And the GT500 was a total Dawg compared to my 10 second Cobra. Sooooo disappointed. Lol. Within a year, did 2.50" pulley, CAI, Tune, and 3.73 gears and totally woke the ole Shelby up!

Moral of the story: Don't be shocked when you first drive your stock GT500. Enjoy the refinement, the interior space, how it rides and handles, the newness of it all. THEN, start throwing some go fast goodies on there that'll get you 100 more horsepower and you'll be smiling ear to ear again!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats on the new beast.
Coming from the 600hp Cobra the stock 500 will be underwhelming but that’s because it’s a better/more refined car and needs a 100hp increase to unleash the raw.
Lots of knowledgeable guys here so definitely let us know after you get the car and what you think. Hint…TVS.
-J

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

I came from 650rwhp Cobras to my 1st GT500. And ya, dismal comparison UNTIL you start modding.

Short order of business out side of general maintenance should be blower replacement. Try not to nickle and dime the moddding process. Ie, add a throttle body, you need a tune. Two months later you want to add another mod, well you have to pay again and get another tune. That sort of thing.

So for instance, for around $3900.00 you get a 13/14 take off blower, fuel injectors and a throttle body and JLT Cold Air intake. That will get you to 700rwhp if you run a O/R Mide Pipe. I will also be removing my stock blower and all that stuff off my car, so theres that

I enclosed my 2011 project here to give you some food for thought.

Bone Stock to Fully Modded '11 <-----------

Kevinbonds

Established Member
I agree with most folks on ensuring all the maintenance is performed, my rotors were shot when I bought my car from the first owner, had 25k miles on them. So I would look at brakes and rotors, and just get the stock ford rotors, they are cheap and perform great.

Also, before you go the route of adding a pulley, and tune etc, I would say just enjoy the car for a while and get a feel for the upgrades you want to make. I would suggest staying with upgrades like a Steeda, or MGW shifter, some good lowering springs, and a decent set of adjustable shocks and springs, before making any power upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread