Just purchased my first Cobra

partzman

Established Member
I was under the impression that the factory valve guides were not quite up to par thus causing the tick that people debate so much about. I'm kinda OCD about my cars mechanicals and have a tendency to overbuild any part of the drivetrain. If the factory guides will hold up then I won't mess with them. My main concern right now is purely with the A/C as it is my daily driver and it gets rather hot in NC during the summer. The compresser doesnt appear to be cutting on.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congratulations on getting your Cobra. Very nice looking all around. I wish you the best with your future mods.

SuperBlownGT

Forever CoBro!
Established Member
Looks good op now you should cruise to grill 57 this Saturday so I can have a fellow CoBro out there :rockon:

partzman

Established Member
Well tomorrow the car is going to fastlane motorsports to get a clean bill of health and a new tune. I was going to the new C&C that is on facebook for raleigh. What time are you going to be at Grill 57?

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
it appears to be relatively stock
except for the intake and upper pulley, may have a lower, but no pic's.

check the tune before you start pounding on it for sure.
if there is no tick, no smoke out of the exhaust...let it be.
great color btw

Kawi750

SVT
Established Member
Congrats on the Cobra. Like the others said, be ready to spend some money. Modifying these cars turns into a habit real quick. Silver FTW!

partzman

Established Member
So the whole spending money thing happened today when i had the car checked out at fastlane motorsports. a quick checkup and dyno tune turned into 2 burnt valves and a total valve job and long story short the motor is out of the car... not a great start to my terminator journey

mrose75

Established Member
450 HP and 500 TQ? No idler. Maybe a big lower to get torque numbers that high. Any belt slip?

mrose75

Established Member
So the whole spending money thing happened today when i had the car checked out at fastlane motorsports. a quick checkup and dyno tune turned into 2 burnt valves and a total valve job and long story short the motor is out of the car... not a great start to my terminator journey

Ouch, didn't see that post until mine went through. Sorry.

partzman

Established Member
Yeah spending money this quickly is not what i had in mind but with the engine out of the car and the cylinder head off it allows me to inspect the bottom end of the motor and also get some go faster parts on the top end ie ARP fasteners, new guides and valves.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So Op was there a loud tick before you bought the car?

partzman

Established Member
No there wasn't I sat next to the drivers wheel and listened and the only noise was the injectors firing. The infamous tick gets louder as you increase the rpms of the motor as i understand it so that is what i did.

chada1208

Established Member
Well congratulations on the cobra! And if u don mine me askin how did fastlane treat you? Im about to take my cobra down there for a lil eork and tune! How u get ur car back up to par!

partzman

Established Member
Didn't do a compression and leakdown test. Instead i called the previous tuner who told me the car was straight. I got the car at a pretty reasonable cost which made this hurt a little less. As for fastlane they seem like pretty straight guys. Wont know for sure until the car is back together and tuned at the end of the week. Ill post up some pics of the process i asked them to take.

Users who are viewing this thread