K&n fail

SILVERSTONE

SilverBullitt
Established Member
first mod i did on my GT when i got it back in 07 was of course the K&N intake super pricey.. for 270.. then a month ago i found out the tube was bending in?... wtf.. so i ordered a cheap ebay intake for like 80 bucks but i only used the aluminum tube.... so its an S&B air filter, K&N heat shield, cheap ebay tube.. FTW!! LOL.. sorry for crappy pics and dirty engine.. its my DD

The K&N kit before, (i replaced the air filter for a bigger S&B one)
IMG00082-20110402-1838.jpg

Roma-LosSaenz-20110420-00050.jpg

FAIL!!
Roma-LosSaenz-20110420-00051.jpg

Roma-LosSaenz-20110420-00052.jpg

WIN!!
Roma-LosSaenz-20110420-00048.jpg

Roma-LosSaenz-20110420-00049.jpg

Last edited:

SCBQQSTN

Established Member
the fail is that new tube you put in is going to attract a lot more heat than the one you removed.

Paulinator

Established Member
the fail is that new tube you put in is going to attract a lot more heat than the one you removed.

it also dissipates heat much quicker than an insulator does, which means yes it heat soaks quickly but the IAT drop off quickly once you start moving, ive seen the differences between under hood temps of a stock air box vs open filter aluminum tube the intake temps are the same at idle but the intake temps drop almost immediately once you start to move with the plastic pipes and stock air box it takes a while for the plastic to cool off.

SILVERSTONE

SilverBullitt
Established Member
it also dissipates heat much quicker than an insulator does, which means yes it heat soaks quickly but the IAT drop off quickly once you start moving, ive seen the differences between under hood temps of a stock air box vs open filter aluminum tube the intake temps are the same at idle but the intake temps drop almost immediately once you start to move with the plastic pipes and stock air box it takes a while for the plastic to cool off.

thank u sir for that brief explanation and having my back :beer: either way K&N is gay!! .. and i like my new aluminum pipe.. and im satisfied..

Krwy

Established Member
Jesus, the air isn't even in the tube long enough for it to matter whether or not the tube is plastic, or a type of metal.

OP, not the first time I've seen that with a K&N. To bad they cost $$$ and turn to shit.

DaBigBone

Established Member
Ran the K&N for a long time before I put my blower on and never had issues..

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Its a good thing you caught that OP. I imagine your car was running a little lean with the tube bent in like that.

Last edited:

chrisheltra

Established Member
I had a K&N intake on my L years ago when I was running the eaton that did the same thing. I quickly took it off and threw it away and replaced it with a whipple intake. :)

Black Sex

Established Member
I had a C&L tube on my car for a while. But the tube would get so hot, you couldn't even touch it. I ditched it for a JLT

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, you're happy with your intake setup and that's all that matters. Did you looking at the JLT intakes or did you want to stay with the K&N box/heat shield?

SILVERSTONE

SilverBullitt
Established Member
no thats not a tech 101 fail .. come on bro!! lol.. and yeah i totally did check out the jlts.. but my pocket was sorta low for a new intake.. so i got cheapy 1 for now... and yeah i notice my car soo laggish when first taking off.. i cleaned the MAF and replaced the tube.. took a quick test drive and didnt feel it lagging .. so hopefully that helped..

Users who are viewing this thread