KB 03 Vert vs Sprayed SRT-10 Viper

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
Once upon in a time in Mexico.....

I ran into a Viper at our local car meet, the owner (who later turned out to be really cool) made a few smug remarks when he pulled up about "tonight I have my untouchable 60-140 car."

Now, I didn't say anything, not really my style, I sort of hung back and just waited most the night, then all the sudden the roads are empty, and we get the chance to throw down a few times.

enjoy

EDIT
I listed it on the Youtube vids but the mods are as follows:

2005 SRT-10 Viper
Magnaflow Catback
Nitrous Express 100 shot (dual bottles, it was a pretty cool setup)

2003 Cobra
2.2 KB 2.93 upper
Normal bolt-ons, K-member, solid, nothing exotic
My tuner (Eric Brooks @ brookspeed) really brought out the monster in this car, it continues to amaze me just how well it performs.

[youtube_browser]lfTkBgEqpp4[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]6_JF0EYygYo[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
Videos kind of got whacked up when youtube encoded them (seems to be looping without sound at the end), but you get the full race in each one so meh... It took long enough to upload those suckers the first time with my aircard I'll just let it go.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You killed him good! I'll bet he was totally shocked. Nice Terminator you have there. :beer:

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
Great kill, and nice vids. Usually night videos suck, yours is great.

One benefit of having a convertible lol, gives you a much better camera angle. Those were encoded down to super low quality so I could get them to upload, stupid verizon bounces back file uploads of more then 5MB at a time with their Mifi's in my area.

Was a sweet car, really love the look, although I think the funniest part was when we were done, him and his passenger said they couldn't even hear the motor over my car. I never realized a motor that big could be so quiet.

Being raised as a mopar guy and as an avid viper fan myself, it was a real treat to get to tangle with one. If they ever make a model designed to seat someone over 5'10 comfortably I'd love to own one.

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
what was the viper spraying a 25 shot?

It's listed on the video on youtube, but your right I should edit the post to include it there.

It has a magnaflow catback and a Nitrous Express 100 wet shot. What really hurt it was the factory gearing I think. From my experience with driving the 500bhp vipers (and our SRT-8 Challenger) the long gearing designed to tear up the autobahn can have a real impact on acceleration, especially if you have to start out from a speed that precludes you from using the first 2 gears (he chose both the rolls).

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Quick question .. did he even use the spray?

Either way .. very good kills ..

Crowley

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
Wow, not really what i was expecting. Nice beat down!!

What kind of power are you making?

To be honest, I couldn't really say. I've never put stock in any kind of dyno readout. Car traps low 130s on the normal street tune (well when it's not literally 100+ degrees outside).

If I had to guess as to what makes this car faster then the average car with similar mods I'd say it's the hard work my Dad and I put in choosing our combination and the whole weekend Eric Brooks spent really getting the car dialed in.

Wow your car pulled him hard. What KB are you running?

2.2 KB, altho on stock motor/ pump gas pretty much all T/S make around the same hp, the difference most the time is just in the dyno read outs and correction factors. From what I've observed at BMP pretty much everything from the 2.2-3.4 on a stock motor/pump gas 03/04 traps mid to high 120s.

I have a few more videos of runs with various cars, if you guys are interested I could probably throw a few more up.

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
Same thing I was thinking, but then again anything can happen on the street!

Quick question .. did he even use the spray?

Either way .. very good kills ..

Crowley

You guys might be mistaking this era viper with the newer vipers which are 600hp and trap high 120s bone stock. Those are a whole different monster (and wouldn't need nitrous to put the pain to me).

I mean, if for some reason you questioned whether he was spraying a quick glance at the numbers shows without the nitrous, his car was at a 150+rwhp/180+rwtq disadvantage. I'm not sure how anyone could think he wasn't spraying given how the race unfolded. Even with the viper on the spray, the Cobra had a decent Hp, TQ, better gearing (for this particular race).

(In case anyone wonders, our weights were about the same (I've taken a lot out, he's added a good bit)

2005 Viper SRT-10

500 HP SAE (445-455rwhp average dyno) @ 5,600 rpm
525 ft lb @ 4,200 rpm

Average run is 11.90@121

I have a good 9-10 mph trap speed advantage on the Viper without his nitrous.

I didn't run away from him on the hit in either race, it took a few seconds for my pull to build momentum before I started really walking away for the last part (indicative of my power/tq/gearing advantage becoming greater as the RPMs continued to rise.)

I think his some bad luck in his driving caused the freight train pull at the end of run 1, but before that I was still pulling away at a good pace, remember 4th is the money gear =0

Was a good race and I have nothing but reverence for the Dodge V-10, it's better then the mod motor in every way imho. Mod for Mod, all out, whatever, it's just better. In this case however, it just didn't have enough stuff done to it to unlock it's real potential.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the videos, they were very good for night videos.

I do have to say though that either the guy couldnt quite drive his car or the bottle pressure was too low to utilize the N02 properly. You destroyed him and it should have been a much closer race. That 100 shot should have kept the race between you guys somewhat close but of course still in your favor by 2-3 cars not the bus lenghts we see on the videos....

But congrats none the less... And please post up some more of your other races.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread