KB 2.8LC vs 13-6 + 10% lower + headers...opinions?!

Ky GT500

Established Member
Your thoughts are why I am also struggling with the KB....

I am sure that the power of the 13-6, 10% lower and headers would be similar to the KB...actually MORE torque which is more fun on the street...

What are your power levels with those mods?

Thanks!

Scott

Mine is strictly a street car, no plans for strip or road course, not to say I won't do one or the other, but not competitively, for fun only and the experience of doing it. Bucket list kind of thing.

Have not done dyno on mine yet as I haven't swapped pulleys and don't have the exhaust yet,,,,had to slow it down and let the funds regroup. With 13-6 + 10% should be in neighborhood of 680-710 HP , over 7 on torque. After exhaust hope to see mid 7's on HP, high 7's on torque. We'll see. :shrug: Until I'm done with all the installs and hit the dyno,,preferably cooler weather,, I'm just guessing on my output. Sorry.

I know you have talked with Van, he can probably hit closer to the expected numbers you will see in regards to what you plan on doing.

scottGT500

Established Member
Mine is strictly a street car, no plans for strip or road course, not to say I won't do one or the other, but not competitively, for fun only and the experience of doing it. Bucket list kind of thing.

Have not done dyno on mine yet as I haven't swapped pulleys and don't have the exhaust yet,,,,had to slow it down and let the funds regroup. With 13-6 + 10% should be in neighborhood of 680-710 HP , over 7 on torque. After exhaust hope to see mid 7's on HP, high 7's on torque. We'll see. :shrug: Until I'm done with all the installs and hit the dyno,,preferably cooler weather,, I'm just guessing on my output. Sorry.

I know you have talked with Van, he can probably hit closer to the expected numbers you will see in regards to what you plan on doing.

:rockon:

Talking to Van is basically like giving him my credit card number and 3 digit code on the back...

I know I will get one or the other....just don't know which one and when! :coolman:

Ky GT500

Established Member

Talking to Van is basically like giving him my credit card number and 3 digit code on the back...

I know I will get one or the other....just don't know which one and when! :coolman:

Good place to be in,, we have options.

I know what you are talking about with Van,,,,, I think he has subliminal messages running in the background while you talk with him,,, eyes glaze over ,,,get chills and goose bumps,,, freely give him all your CC info,,, then boxes magically appear on your porch in a few days. :bowdown:

scottGT500

Established Member
Good place to be in,, we have options.

I know what you are talking about with Van,,,,, I think he has subliminal messages running in the background while you talk with him,,, eyes glaze over ,,,get chills and goose bumps,,, freely give him all your CC info,,, then boxes magically appear on your porch in a few days. :bowdown:

You are so right!

Then my wife does this: :burn:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
With 13-6 + 10% should be in neighborhood of 680-710 HP
That's my point. Without the headers (and the headache of the install) people are still hitting low 700's at the tires. If a KB gives you 750rwhp I'm not sure it will be a good choice for some people. How many of us would pay an extra $4000 for an additional 50rwhp? I imagine there's a reason why we don't see many (any?) threads of the KB swap, but lots of the 13-6. Also, you can sell the 13-6 parts just as you can sell the KB. For example, ScottGT500, I'd more than likely buy your entire setup (13-6, pulley, and h-pipe) from you if you wanted to swap everything out for the KB. I doubt people would have a hard time selling either one.

Now if someone just wants to be different or wants the "cool factor" of saying they have a KB, that's a whole different story.

Van@RevanRacing

Kenne Bell Black LC 2.8 is $6,300

Revan Racing 13-6 Kit with 10% OD and Long Tube Headers $3,800

Delta between the two $2,500

KB install time is eight to ten hours so figure $1,000 for install at $100 per hour

13- 6 Kit install time with 10% OD and headers approximately twelve hours so figure $1,200 for install at $100 per hour (10% OD and Headers account for most of that estimate)

Delta $2,300.................

Now the difference is what are you looking for and what's the ease in "Return to Stock" Many guys take this factor into consideration because circumstances change. I've had a couple of customers have an unexpected new addition to the family thereby warranting the sale of the car and a return to stock for example.

Removing and re-installing the exhaust and front idler another 10-12 hours $1,000-$1,200 with the 13-6 kit with 10% OD and Headers.

Return to stock with OEM supercharger four hours. A lot easier to remove and reinstall versus initial install. $400

Delta $1,700

13-6 Kit with 10% OD and Long Tubes with Off Road Exhaust 93 pump

712 RWHP / 747 RWTQ at 17 PSI

Kenne Bell 2.8 LC with Off Road H Pipe 93 pump

765 RWHP / 691 RWTQ at 17 PSI

Kenne Bell is more efficient with respect to heat soak since the supercharger RPM at 17 PSI is slower and less engine parasitic loss.

Yes the Kenne Bell is going to be more expensive. Yes, the TVS has more peak torque and yes the Kenne Bell has more peak horse power.

Just depends on each individual goal and perspective.

scottGT500

Established Member

KB install time is eight to ten hours so figure $1,000 for install at $100 per hour

13- 6 Kit install time with 10% OD and headers approximately twelve hours so figure $1,200 for install at $100 per hour (10% OD and Headers account for most of that estimate)

Now the difference is what are you looking for and what's the ease in "Return to Stock" Many guys take this factor into consideration because circumstances change. I've had a couple of customers have an unexpected new addition to the family thereby warranting the sale of the car and a return to stock for example.

Removing and re-installing the exhaust and front idler another 10-12 hours $1,000-$1,200 with the 13-6 kit with 10% OD and Headers.

Return to stock with OEM supercharger four hours. A lot easier to remove and reinstall versus initial install. $400

Delta $1,700

Kenne Bell is more efficient with respect to heat soak since the supercharger RPM at 17 PSI is slower and less engine parasitic loss.

Yes the Kenne Bell is going to be more expensive. Yes, the TVS has more peak torque and yes the Kenne Bell has more peak horse power.

This is why I will buy from Van only. Very descriptive and professional. Thank you for sharing with me and the others on this thread on the true "delta" differences!

mike69440

Established Member
Heat soak

I know the TVS is a lot more efficienct than the old Heaton 112 Cu In blower that came on my 03, but heat soak really, really pissed me off.

Loose +50 hp/ even more ft-lbs and grill a steak on the blower.

Since the blower change in 2005, I can barely scramble an egg and do not dread those hot summer days.

PS The racing radiator and the dual fan H.E. help. I'm sure Van would love to sell to his new one.

Also another 100 hp always feels right, especially when it is consistent.

Headers are good for power, but the noise will get to you, if you drive long distances.

Being able to put the car back to stock easily is worth something.

It's only money. Put the blower that looks alike a toaster on top your motor.

Last edited:

scottGT500

Established Member
I know the TVS is a lot more efficienct than the old Heaton 112 Cu In blower that came on my 03, but heat soak really, really pissed me off.

Loose +50 hp/ even more ft-lbs and grill a steak on the blower.

Since the blower change in 2005, I can barely scramble an egg and do not dread those hot summer days.

PS The racing radiator and the dual fan H.E. help. I'm sure Van would love to sell to his new one.

Also another 100 hp always feels right, especially when it is consistent.

Headers are good for power, but the noise will get to you, if you drive long distances.

Being able to put the car back to stock easily is worth something.

It's only money. Put the blower that looks alike a toaster on top your motor.

:beer:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member

Delta $1,700

And to use the blower to it's full potential I'd need to what, replace the rods and upgrade fuel? What is that blower capable of? If I put it on I'd want do it the right way and use it fully. Might as well put those new cams in while the motor is open. :lol:

svt_king_cobra

Established Member
I'm running Whipple 2.9 on my Shelby 2013 with 3" pulley @14 PSI, JLT intake & super cobra jet throttle. it makes 780 RWHP and 710 RWTQ, and i live in a very hot country "Kuwait" the average temp is 120 F.
the car is daily drive even in the hot weather and A/C is on.

scottGT500

Established Member
I'm running Whipple 2.9 on my Shelby 2013 with 3" pulley @14 PSI, JLT intake & super cobra jet throttle. it makes 780 RWHP and 710 RWTQ, and i live in a very hot country "Kuwait" the average temp is 120 F.
the car is daily drive even in the hot weather and A/C is on.

Correct me if I am wrong here...

The 3" pulley is completely different for PSI on the KB vs Whipple. 3" pulley on the KB has higher PSI than the Whipple.

I have to ask...you are making over 750whp on only 14lbs of boost? Holy moly!!! Any other mods?

:beer:
Scott

Van@RevanRacing

And to use the blower to it's full potential I'd need to what, replace the rods and upgrade fuel? What is that blower capable of? If I put it on I'd want do it the right way and use it fully. Might as well put those new cams in while the motor is open. :lol:

We made 816 rwhp / 737 rwtq on my 2013 with long tubes this morning and 100 octane. That'll work.

That's also real numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread