KB 3.6LC on GT500 ?

staged222

Established Member
I have a 2007 GT500 and looking to go to a new supercharger...replacing my FRPP TVS.....

stock 5.4 w/ these Mods:
Revan H/E, 1-7/8 LT, Catted Xpipe and JLT CAI, BAP, 170 T-Stat, 72's, 3:73 Gears...

is this 3.6LC "overkill" for a street car?? what HP are you seeing on 17-18lbs in dyno?

i wanted about 17-18lbs boost on pump gas 93 octane

is this a waste of money on such a mild engine??? I was looking at the 2.8LC first but thought about the 3.6LC as it will spin less and have less drag on motor...So I'm being told...

I wish somebody who has this on a stock 5.4 (w. just similar bolt on mods) chime in....

Last edited:

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
I would guess 750 range. 18lbs is pushing it in my opinion.
Dont over spin it, keep it under 6300rpm unless you want to build a new engine.

Van@RevanRacing

I have a 2007 GT500 and looking to go to a new supercharger...replacing my FRPP TVS.....

stock 5.4 w/ these Mods:
Revan H/E, 1-7/8 LT, Catted Xpipe and JLT CAI, BAP, 170 T-Stat, 72's, 3:73 Gears...

is this 3.6LC "overkill" for a street car?? what HP are you seeing on 17-18lbs in dyno?

is this a waste of money on such a mild engine??? I was looking at the 2.8LC first but thought about the 3.6LC as it will spin less and have less drag on motor...So I'm being told...

I wish somebody who has this on a stock 5.4 (w. just similar bolt on mods) chime in....

Kenne Bell Twin Screw Supercharger - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords

Mustang GT500 Supercharger Tests - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

http://kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Common/pdfs/Shelby_Comparison.pdf

http://kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Common/pdfs/Mammoth28KitsComparison.pdf

Ford Tech Info

Here's some good reading for you.

Van

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Less revs to make the same boost = less parasitic loss = less heat.

I ordered a 2.8 to 3.6 swap kit from Van last week.

MM&FF has a good article on a stock engine GT500 on their website with 2.8 versus the 3.6 blowers.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

stock 5.4 w/ these Mods:

Here is some dyno comparision..........

Picture1717-2.jpg

R

Leonard 95

Established Member
I made the switch from tvs to kb 2.8 and haven't looked back. I made 678rwhp with 2.8 and 3.0 pulley on conservative 91 octane Lund tune. Still have stock manifolds and lower pulley. I made like 618rwhp with tvs and 2.6 pulley. I thought I would lose tq doing the swap, I made 630tq with kb. For MOST sane people the 2.8 is more than enough especially on the street, better have some good tires cause it's a handful. Also the 2.8 fits under stock hood, the aftermarket hood for 3.6 was the deal breaker for me. You can't beat the scream of a 2.8, but the whistle of 3.6 at idle nice also. Here is mine with slight scream! :)

http://www.youtube.com/v/yuiHMG2E99M

niceguyyy01

Established Member
The hood reason is why I went with the KB2.8 as well. I didn't want to lower the motor or change the hood on this car.... in my wifes eyes, a new hood on a new car equals race car. LOL.

Van@RevanRacing

Van - What is the fitment difference under the hood between 2.8 and 3.6?
An inch or so.

That sucks, as I love the OEM hood on the 07-09 GT500.

It is possible if you want to lower the K-Member down and clearance the hood.

It can be done but going over speed bumps and overall front end ride quality will suffer.

if I remember reading correctly,the 3.6 stands at 1"taller than the 2.8

Yep. And it needs some space when the motor spools up and wants to jump off of the motor mounts! LOL

Van

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member
As said, it can be done, but, it's not easy. I got the BMR lowering K-member, I custom made some Delrin pads for the K-member (Cause the lowering motor mounts are stock in design and will not work with the BMR K) and then spaced the K down another 1/8". All this and I still had to cut a portion of the brace out of the hood. All this spacing down really throws the driveline angles into a mess so you have to be patient setting it back correctly. It was well worth it to me to run the stock hood. Here is the difference in the K-Member pads.

EnginePics175.jpg

fcettner

DaShelby
Established Member
An inch or so.

It is possible if you want to lower the K-Member down and clearance the hood.

It can be done but going over speed bumps and overall front end ride quality will suffer.

Yep. And it needs some space when the motor spools up and wants to jump off of the motor mounts! LOL

Van

I would just have to remove the engine crossmember then ....:burnout:

Not sure I want to do that since I do kick it around curves and corners .. ;-)

Van@RevanRacing

I would just have to remove the engine crossmember then ....:burnout:

Not sure I want to do that since I do kick it around curves and corners .. ;-)

190 MPH on the high banks at Daytona.................NO STRUT TOWER BRACE.........

You don't need it............wait, I didn't need it and the car was fine. Do I have screws loose? Quite possibly.

Having driven 3 different Shelby's over 200 MPH in closed course conditions...........Life doesn't suck!

Have a blessed Easter everybody!

Van

Users who are viewing this thread