KB Cobra vs cammed LS1

silvrsrt

Established Member
Damn makes me wanna throw caution to the wind and put a KB 2.8 on my credit card. Love that scream.

I hear ya man, my vert feels pretty damn good on the juice but $65 to fill the bottle, stoping to open valve, waiting 20 minutes for bottle to get hot... all of that just to keep up with a twin screw :bash:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
A T-Rex cammed, full bolt on, 3500 stall LS1 is a low 11 sec car.

What? Yeah, maybe with tons of weight reduction, a steep gear, slicks and suspension. Mid 11 second car @ 120mph is more likely for that setup. Have you seen what mods low 11 second 10 second cam only fbodies have done? Here is one

Weight reduction
Interior stripped, only a drivers seat, no catback.

Comp custom 245/250 KOD Cam
Patriot Dual Springs
Chromoly Hardend Push Rods
LS7 Lifters
LS6 Oil Pump
LS2 Timing Chain
SVO 30# Injectors
FAST 90mm Intake
Nick Williams 90MM TB
Moser 12 bolt 4.10s
Jet Hot LTs with cutout
Ported and Polished MAF Housing
Taylor spark plug wires
NGK TR55-IX Plugs
SLP Smooth Air Bellow
EGR and AIR removed
Fast Toys 85mm Lid
160* Stat
JPR Electric Water Pump

Suspension/Chassis:

UMI K member/ Upper and Lower A arms
Tokico Shocks
DMS Lowering Springs
DMS Sub Frame Connectors
DMS Strut Tower Bar
DMS Lower Control Arms
DMS Relocation Brackets
DMS Adj Pan Hard Rod

Drivetrain:

Moser 12 bolt 4.10s
MN12 Transmission (GTO Trans)
Spec Twin Disc and Spec flywheel

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/member.php?u=25291

He's pretty up there in the cam only list and ran a 10.99@126mph. A run of the mill, full weight, cam only fbody without slicks is not going to come close to that time. I've seen tons of them run, including mine.

silvrsrt

Established Member
What? Yeah, maybe with tons of weight reduction, a steep gear, slicks and suspension. Mid 11 second car @ 120mph is more likely for that setup. Have you seen what mods low 11 second 10 second cam only fbodies have done? Here is one

Weight reduction

Patriot Dual Springs
LS7 Lifters
LS6 Oil Pump
LS2 Timing Chain
SVO 30# Injectors
FAST 90mm Intake
Nick Williams 90MM TB
Moser 12 bolt 4.10s
Jet Hot LTs with cutout
Taylor spark plug wires
NGK TR55-IX Plugs
SLP Smooth Air Bellow
EGR and AIR removed
Fast Toys 85mm Lid
160* Stat
JPR Electric Water Pump

Suspension/Chassis:

Tokico Shocks
DMS Lowering Springs
DMS Sub Frame Connectors
DMS Strut Tower Bar
DMS Lower Control Arms
DMS Relocation Brackets
DMS Adj Pan Hard Rod

Drivetrain:

Moser 12 bolt 4.10s

He's pretty up there in the cam only list and ran a 10.99@126mph. A run of the mill, full weight, cam only fbody without slicks is not going to come close to that time. I've seen tons of them run, including mine.

ya he is hoping for low 12's/high 11's

Kingcater

Can't stop modding...
Established Member
First an foremost, good kill OP you have set your car up right. Your buddy, eh I don't know what he was thinking. :shrug: :rockon::beer:

I know KB Cobras are fast as I have owned an 03 Cobra and several LS1's but that is either the worst running LS1 I have ever seen or he was having some problems hooking up. You should have ran away from a roll but he should have shot out of the hole and you play catch up from a dig. A T-Rex cammed, full bolt on, 3500 stall LS1 is a low 11 sec car.

I was thinking the same thing. I was wondering why he was leaving the line like a little girl. Street tires would make sense. He brought a knife to a gun fight.

He also did a bad job on the roll race. He either wasn't brake-stalling or has a crap converter that isn't efficient on the top end.

There is no way that a cammed, 3500 stall automatic, full bolt on LS1 car should get beat OUT OF THE HOLE FROM A DIG by a 6sp car on 17inch radials even if they are drag radials the stalled auto should get out on it from a dig and then the KB come around it on the big end.

Now from a roll the KB cobra should walk it.

This is what I was thinking. Before I clicked on the vid I thought cammed stalled auto launches out of the hole, KB Cobra starts to reel him in then passes him.....instead, Cammed stalled auto lights up street tires and get decimated :eek::nono::xpl::dw::D

Good win for you but who in the hell tries to hook a 3500 stalled 400hp car on the street from a DIG on STREET tires. Hell that race was over before it began. He brought a knife to a gun fight. His only chance to win was to play the hook game and came with street tires on. :nono:

When I get my stall, the only thing I'm sunning on is DRs. The F-body owner made a beating look like a slaughter thanks to his bright idea of running street tires on a stalled car. lol

Anything can happen on the street though nice kill!

Man that wasnt even close.

rapage to the fullest

Yea, the OP opened a Costco Economy Size Box of Rape on him lmfao :beer:

silvrsrt

Established Member
I cant believe no one has mention it yet, but if you watch closely you can see how bad I needed the driver mod.. with quicker shifting or power shifting it would have been even worse!

granny shifting FTL!

MystictealLt1

Established Member

Weight reduction

Patriot Dual Springs
LS7 Lifters
LS6 Oil Pump
LS2 Timing Chain
SVO 30# Injectors
FAST 90mm Intake
Nick Williams 90MM TB
Moser 12 bolt 4.10s
Jet Hot LTs with cutout
Taylor spark plug wires
NGK TR55-IX Plugs
SLP Smooth Air Bellow
EGR and AIR removed
Fast Toys 85mm Lid
160* Stat
JPR Electric Water Pump

Suspension/Chassis:

Tokico Shocks
DMS Lowering Springs
DMS Sub Frame Connectors
DMS Strut Tower Bar
DMS Lower Control Arms
DMS Relocation Brackets
DMS Adj Pan Hard Rod

Drivetrain:

Moser 12 bolt 4.10s

your talking about demonicbird(brandon)hes a local guy from my area and yeah his car has some weight reduction car still moves none the less! lol i hope the ls1 didnt expect to win that race

02 SLP SS

Established Member

Weight reduction

Patriot Dual Springs
LS7 Lifters
LS6 Oil Pump
LS2 Timing Chain
SVO 30# Injectors
FAST 90mm Intake
Nick Williams 90MM TB
Moser 12 bolt 4.10s
Jet Hot LTs with cutout
Taylor spark plug wires
NGK TR55-IX Plugs
SLP Smooth Air Bellow
EGR and AIR removed
Fast Toys 85mm Lid
160* Stat
JPR Electric Water Pump

Suspension/Chassis:

Tokico Shocks
DMS Lowering Springs
DMS Sub Frame Connectors
DMS Strut Tower Bar
DMS Lower Control Arms
DMS Relocation Brackets
DMS Adj Pan Hard Rod

Drivetrain:

Moser 12 bolt 4.10s

Alot of the stuff on that list does not mean shit and is cheap and not relivant.

The car you listed is just a cam, 4.10 gear, bolt on car. That little gearing adavange in the trans and all that suspension shit did not pick him up more than 2/10's in the quarter, hell lowering probably took that back away.

My best friends SS has a TH350 trans, cam/heads, 4.10 gears, full exhaust and a 200 shot..... runs 6.18 in the 1/8th consistanly with a best of a 6.00.
Of course on slicks. It's all in the set up. Like I said that TA on slicks from a stop would be hard for that Cobra to catch in the 1/8th but the guy was not to smart and was trying to launch a 400rwhp car on the street with street tires and a 3500 stall.

As you have seen LS1's not run well so have I seen 500-600 hp Whippled and KB Cobras run in the high 12's due to lack of hook and a good driver.

Go look at the cam only list on LS1Tech.com:read:

Last edited:

gnxs

Established Member
3500 stall, Full exhaust, intake, all the bolt'ons and I think the T-rak cam?? not sure on the specs.

.....................Go look at the cam only list on LS1Tech.com:read:
LOL, are you trying to compare the street car in this thread (excerpt of the cars mods from the first post by silvrsrt) to the basically "race cars" at the top of that list?

First off, it's unlikely he ran into one of the 10 fastest cammed, bolt-on LS1's in the country (or at least on LS1Tech). Secondly, most of the top ten guys on that list have one or more of the following:

- sub 3000 pound race weight
- 1.3x 60 ft.
- ran in great weather (some ran in -1000 ft DA's)
- very short gearing (many 4.56 geared or greater)

The typical cam only, bolt on LS1 you'll find on the street is a mid-11 to low 12 second car at less than 120 mph. A decently boosted twin-screw Cobra is generally 10+ mph faster, especially against a stalled-auto. The real place that car would shine is from a dig, unfortunately for the LS1, he didn't have a decent tire to help him in the only place he really had an advantage (from a dig). :shrug:

My DD Whipple Cobra traps higher than every car on that list. :eek:

Last edited:

Kingcater

Can't stop modding...
Established Member
- 1.3x 60 ft.

The typical cam only, bolt on LS1 you'll find on the street is a mid-11 to low 12 second car at less than 120 mph. A decently boosted twin-screw Cobra is generally 10+ mph faster, especially against a stalled-auto. The real place that car would shine is from a dig, unfortunately for the LS1, he didn't have a decent tire to help him in the only place he really had an advantage (from a dig). :shrug:

My DD Whipple Cobra traps higher than every car on that list. :eek:

I would hope it's trapping higher as it is putting down more power:poke:

Last edited:

ford5.0forlife

Dead Stop
Established Member
Alot of the stuff on that list does not mean shit and is cheap and not relivant.

Oh Rly?

My best friends SS has a TH350 trans, cam/heads, 4.10 gears, full exhaust and a 200 shot..... runs 6.18 in the 1/8th consistanly with a best of a 6.00.
Of course on slicks. It's all in the set up. Like I said that TA on slicks from a stop would be hard for that Cobra to catch in the 1/8th but the guy was not to smart and was trying to launch a 400rwhp car on the street with street tires and a 3500 stall.
:

Pot meet kettle. This thread has nothing to do with your boys completely different setup. :poke:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member

The car you listed is just a cam, 4.10 gear, bolt on car. That little gearing adavange in the trans and all that suspension shit did not pick him up more than 2/10's in the quarter, hell lowering probably took that back away.

As you have seen LS1's not run well so have I seen 500-600 hp Whippled and KB Cobras run in the high 12's due to lack of hook and a good driver.

Go look at the cam only list on LS1Tech.com:read:

I've been a member on ls1tech longer than on here, I've seen the list..That's a joke you think all the other mods aren't relevant..:D That car has a sub 3200lb race-weight with tons of suspension goodies.

That's like saying Almo's simple bolt-on Cobra with weight reduction and the same suspension work that runs mid 10s is only due to the bolt-ons? :lol1: So by your thinking every pullied Cobra is a mid-high 10 second car and so is every cam-only, simple bolt-on fbody! Lets look at the list of fastest twin screw only, 6spd, IRS Cobras in the country and compare them to this Whipple Cobra while we are it.

First off, it's unlikely he ran into one of the 10 fastest cammed, bolt-on LS1's in the country (or at least on LS1Tech). Secondly, most of the top ten guys on that list have one or more of the following:

- 1.3x 60 ft.

The typical cam only, bolt on LS1 you'll find on the street is a mid-11 to low 12 second car at less than 120 mph.

+1, exactly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread