KB Coyote in MM&FF

SlowSVT

Established Member
Perhaps someone can help me out over here. MM&FF magazine is fairly well known for leaving out important details on some of their articles especially when it come to the equipment that happens to be sourced from their advertisers who want to sell said equipment (one that stands out is Snows Performance "just fill bottle with water/methanol and make 70 more hp :rollseyes ). The rag is not what it use to be 10 years ago as it's now almost completely void of home grown technical articles and only seems to showcase advertisers equipment as stated and other peoples builds. It's boring to the point I seldom read it cover to cover like before. I started reading it in 04 and back then it was more like a technical manual, no more it's almost all promotion.

The November issue features installing a Kenny Bell 2.8 in a 2015 GT 5.0. Again a lot of the emphasis was on how great KB's are and you can take it all the way to a 4.7 :uh oh: which even that they showcased a few issues back but as usual never informed the reader if there were any risks in do so, even this article extolled the virtues of the liquid cooled case but never divulged where they were dumping the heat with much of it being absorbed from the engine! :nono:

Here's my question: The articles stated they took a box stock 2015 GT 5.0 boosted to only 10 psi and made 640 rwhp up from 385 a 255 hp gain. I don't doubt the numbers but something tells me an attempt to take an 11:1 Coyote motor which is close on the cusp of detonation already to 640 hp required something more then pump gas. They are leaving details out, AGAIN! Am I missing something here? 10 psi @ 11:1 is pretty steep for pump swill.

Last edited:

s351

Established Member
This reminds me of the article they did with the 03 cobra and the 2.8 mammoth kit, saying they made 700 rwhp on pump gas is how they made it sound.

But that wasn't the case it was on race fuel.

svtshadow

Banned
I stopped reading those Junk literatures sources and subscribed to SVTP (Terminator Section) as my only source of technical literature!

5PointOHNO

Established Member
my Coyote made 711rwhp at 10 psi of boost on pump gas (94) with the v3si blower, id1000, boss im and a BAP.

The numbers sound legit... especially since the 2015 has some hp advantages over my 2011

Sent from my Z30 using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.

SlowSVT

Established Member
my Coyote made 711rwhp at 10 psi of boost on pump gas (94) with the v3si blower, id1000, boss im and a BAP.

The numbers sound legit... especially since the 2015 has some hp advantages over my 2011

Sent from my Z30 using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.

That's impressive. If you can drive off the lot with a new 5.0, install a PD blower over the weekend and make 640 hp would be depressing to me :nonono: I'll consider myself lucky if I can make that much with my Boss 5.0 block mod motor running 15-16 psi.

s351

Established Member
700+ on pump gas?? Most of the pump gas coyotes before 2015 would be right around 600rwhp in the "safe" zone I know some have made more but this was just a reference.

The 2015 is just that much more efficient?

s351

Established Member
That's impressive. If you can drive off the lot with a new 5.0, install a PD blower over the weekend and make 640 hp would be depressing to me :nonono: I'll consider myself lucky if I can make that much with my Boss 5.0 block mod motor running 15-16 psi.

Compression makes power as long as your tune is spot and I mean spot on.

5PointOHNO

Established Member
700+ on pump gas?? Most of the pump gas coyotes before 2015 would be right around 600rwhp in the "safe" zone I know some have made more but this was just a reference.

The 2015 is just that much more efficient?
Yup. Pump 94 octane.

Lund told me I was way past the 600whp safe zone, but I asked for more and I got it.

I thrashed the car for 2 more years and it never broke.

Zemedici

Established Member
my girls car makes 640 whp on stock boost (8-10lbs), stock throttle body, and on pump gas on a whipple 2.9 - Id 850cc injectors and a JPS BAP. Those numbers are legitimate.

Not to mention if they were on E-85 the numbers would be significantly higher due to the cooling effects/more timing allowing to be added.

Users who are viewing this thread