Keystone Pipeline...Dead.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
So Obama blocks the Keystone pipeline because he hates the oil industry and fossil fuels in general. But he also killed Yucca mountain, effectively screwing over the future of nuclear power in the US, which would is basically the only sustainable 'green' energy at this point. Who are the idiots telling our president that wind and solar can sustain a country of 320 million people?

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Since you are not going to support any of your feelings, here is the US dollar index.
Higher now than it was when oil was high.
http://www.marketwatch.com/m/quote/dxy

I can see what your getting at here.

But I believe that the US dollar being higher has more to do with the fact your economy is far more diversified than what (for ie) the CDN economy is. Not to mention the huge population difference(10:1 or greater) will help keep the wheels turning for your dollar and economy. Im glad to see the US dollar holding strong through this because if it starts to falter, well lets not go there.

In the CDN case you have four provinces, one, that are tied to oil prices in a large way. If oil prices drop everything stops here. The GDP takes a beating on multiple fronts and the foreign(US among others) investment pulls the plug at $40 oil

Now like mentioned before if oil gets back to $60 it would be a better case scenario for everyone, this has been long argued to bring in a regulatory system worldwide and do away with OPEC.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
A geologist I'm not, but its geologists that have come to believe that the abiotic oil theory is certainly legitimate. And I am always willing to consider what those geologists have to say, when they think outside the box and make an incredibly good argument to believe their positions.

I mean you can't be so obtuse to believe that you as a geologist, have a monopoly on understanding this matter. Or could you be this obtuse?

I find it even more obtuse to believe in quack hypotheses when there is no solid reproducible evidence suggesting they are valid and of which current knowledge and science directly contradicts. He may not have a monopoly on understanding, but being that he is a geologist he would understand more than you, and as a scientist, he most certainly understands that when new valid evidence is confronted that contradicts your theories, those theories become hypotheses once again. Believing theories purely because they play an apolitical stance is no different than believing the earth was made 6000 years ago because a holy book says so.

Cos

Established Member
desk-flip.jpeg

CP train derails in Wisconsin, spills crude oil

MNMIT102-117_2015_000000_high.jpg

A Canadian Pacific freight train carrying crude oil through Wisconsin derailed on Sunday, knocking 13 cars off the tracks, spilling oil and leading 35 homes to be evacuated, in the state's second derailment in two days.

No one was injured in the 2 p.m. incident in Watertown, about 80 kilometres west of Milwaukee, and workers stopped the leak, which company spokesman Martin Cej described as minor.

Late Sunday night, the company said 35 homes had been evacuated as a precaution, and that it had reserved hotel rooms for the families who lived in them.

CP confirms a derailment in Watertown, WI. Working closely with local authorities on response. Investigation is on-going.

— @CanadianPacific

In the derailment, one of the cars was punctured and oil spilled out onto the soil, said spokesman Jeremy Berry. The spill was contained and the oil did not reach any waterways, he said.

Earlier on Sunday, the BNSF Railway Co said its crews had stanched the flow of ethanol from a freight train that derailed on Saturday about 220 kilometres away in Alma, Wisconsin, after thousands of gallons of the denatured alcohol leaked into the Mississippi River.

In that incident, 25 cars derailed in the rural community close to the Minnesota border, at about 8:45 a.m. local time on Saturday, the railroad said. No injuries were reported.

The train was hauling a variety of freight, including empty auto racks and tankers of ethanol. Five of the tanker cars released ethanol into the Mississippi, the company said. Four of them each leaked between five and 500 gallons, while the fifth released an estimated 18,000 gallons before crews stopped the flow on Saturday.

"BNSF is continuing to monitor for environmental impacts and to work on scene with the multiple federal and state agencies involved," the company, a unit of Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc, said.

In September, part of BNSF's main track in rural South Dakota was put out of service when seven cars of a 98-car train carrying ethanol derailed and started a fire.

In Wisconsin, crews placed a containment boom along the shoreline of the river and started to pump the remaining product out of the cars, BNSF said on Sunday.

Work on repairing the tracks can begin once the derailed cars are put upright.

The railroad said it expected the track to return to service Monday morning. Video images from the BNSF incident showed train cars sprawled across tracks on a narrow causeway that slices through the middle of the river, with water on either side.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
I find it even more obtuse to believe in quack hypotheses when there is no solid reproducible evidence suggesting they are valid and of which current knowledge and science directly contradicts. He may not have a monopoly on understanding, but being that he is a geologist he would understand more than you, and as a scientist, he most certainly understands that when new valid evidence is confronted that contradicts your theories, those theories become hypotheses once again. Believing theories purely because they play an apolitical stance is no different than believing the earth was made 6000 years ago because a holy book says so.

Well said.

The Abiotic theory is something I look at when I need a good laugh. Some of the more recent stuff and these people's blogs out there are absolutely hilarious. The Earth generates oil and it seeps up through the ground. One even said that the gulf was completely full of oil, not because it was full of 'rotting dinosaurs and fish', but because it's generated below the surface constantly.

......tell that to the people drilling 50 million dollar dry holes. Literally EVERYTHING in that theory can be dis-proven as far as I can tell.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
So Obama blocks the Keystone pipeline because he hates the oil industry and fossil fuels in general. But he also killed Yucca mountain, effectively screwing over the future of nuclear power in the US, which would is basically the only sustainable 'green' energy at this point. Who are the idiots telling our president that wind and solar can sustain a country of 320 million people?

Hopefully that leads to uranium reprocessing here like is done in the rest of the world.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Oil prices have been low for awhile. Energy industry is hurting. We need oil to go back up to bring people back to work.

An industry that only exists because some durka durka arabs have their finger on the oil supply and increase/decrease cost on a whim is no industry id strive to work for.

If the american oil industry was devoted to keeping american oil in america, id be all for it. But we dont, we sell it off to other countries when the price is high, and lay off workers when its not worth it anymore.

Coiled03

Established Member
Oil prices have been low for awhile. Energy industry is hurting. We need oil to go back up to bring people back to work.

Umm, no.

I'm not going to pay more for things just so a certain industry can have their jobs back.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
An industry that only exists because some durka durka arabs have their finger on the oil supply and increase/decrease cost on a whim is no industry id strive to work for.

If the american oil industry was devoted to keeping american oil in america, id be all for it. But we dont, we sell it off to other countries when the price is high, and lay off workers when its not worth it anymore.

....OPEC has very little to do with the costs worldwide. Yes they can increase or decrease production based on their primary porosity driven fields, but that's against the point....why the hell should they? Why shouldn't the US cut production? Have you seen the differences in production in the last 5 years from OPEC and the US?? It's mind boggling. The US production sky rocketed due to increased tech and prices moving upwards. Sadly it's caused A LOOT of lost jobs and lost revenue. People that solely blame OPEC have little idea about how the industry works. Those fields won't last forever. They know that.

...according to 01cobra though....they might last forever.

I'd be all for American energy independence as that would create TONS of jobs, more stable jobs at that, etc..but that'll never happen.

Umm, no.

I'm not going to pay more for things just so a certain industry can have their jobs back.

lol....that's how any industry and especially commodities work.

Last edited:

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Same people that think that food magically appears on the shelves of supermarkets.

Same people that think any oil company is 'Big Oil'...or that oil companies get sooo many tax breaks/subsidies without realizing that nearly half of this is for the SPR/low-income heating and cooling bills/fuel for farms....or that every oil company has millions, don't take any risks, don't have to take out huge loans so you and your family can't heat your home, text on that cell phone, drive that car you love, etc etc.

Ignorance is bliss to many it seems. Sadly.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member

Petroleum companies make up 4 of the top 10 Fortune companies. Exxon Mobil, Chevron, Phillips 66, GE. They must be doing something right.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
This whole thing seem like a bunch of media hype to me. As said - probably just mis-direction while other pipelines were being built.

shurur

Established Member
How many jobs is the pipeline creating and how many maintenance jobs will it create?
How many posters in favor of the pipeline work in the oil industry? Follow the money trail posts.

If you can get it, oil work is good....while prices and profits are high and most everyone else is hurting financially, you are rolling in the $.

Every tax payer should be getting something from this pipeline going through or no pipeline should go through at all.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Petroleum companies make up 4 of the top 10 Fortune companies. Exxon Mobil, Chevron, Phillips 66, GE. They must be doing something right.

You're really going to include GE in that? lol

ONE of their divisions is the energy department. It makes up a whoppin' like 10% of the companies revenue. Not only that, but they bought into A LOT more just recently due to the financial crisis. Hardly a 'petroleum company'

When you look at the actual profits, not just revenues it shows that it's mostly tech companies, banks, etc.

.....but wait.....Microsoft subsidizes more than any energy company.

:bored:

Last edited:

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
You're really going to include GE in that? lol

ONE of their divisions is the energy department. It makes up a whoppin' like 10% of the companies revenue. Not only that, but they bought into A LOT more just recently due to the financial crisis. Hardly a 'petroleum company'

A really shady company too. We got into a pretty big lawsuit with them years ago and won.

Okay fair point, but if you look at the rest of the top 10 Fortune companies outside of petroleum companies, only GE has some exposure. Wal-Mart, CVS, GM, etc, no work in O&G.

GE also has several divisions in Energy - Power & Water, Oil & Gas, Energy Management, Alstom. I haven't heard of many acquisitions in the Energy space outside of Alstom, but yes they are divesting Capital as fast as they can.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Every tax payer should be getting something from this pipeline going through or no pipeline should go through at all.

Bernie? Is that you?

If you can get it, oil work is good....while prices and profits are high and most everyone else is hurting financially, you are rolling in the $.

So consumers not having to spend that $10-20/month extra at the pump that they were spending...now makes them financially stable? It's funny how most people that bitch about oil prices don't drive a fully electric car. Commodity prices fluctuate. It happens. What could help the economy AND the people within that economy is to find that happy median.

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member

Correlation is not causation.

Just because some people do get their jobs back when prices go up doesn't mean that's WHY prices went up.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Correlation is not causation.

Just because some people do get their jobs back when prices go up doesn't mean that's WHY prices went up.

Obviously. Prices probably didn't increase so the company could pay more people and be in the spot they were in before. What's your point? Mine was to say that any industry see's rises and falls and with that you see the associated lay offs and hiring's. You're not paying more at the pump just for people to keep their jobs. Just look at the breakdown of what you pay in a gallon.

I bet if the price of an Ipad went to $50, then back to $300+..many wouldn't say the same thing. Why should I pay more to some big wig or pencil pusher so they can keep their job?! That can be said about any industry really.

Last edited:

2001sleeper

Established Member
....OPEC has very little to do with the costs worldwide. Yes they can increase or decrease production based on their primary porosity driven fields, but that's against the point....why the hell should they? Why shouldn't the US cut production? Have you seen the differences in production in the last 5 years from OPEC and the US?? It's mind boggling. The US production sky rocketed due to increased tech and prices moving upwards. Sadly it's caused A LOOT of lost jobs and lost revenue. People that solely blame OPEC have little idea about how the industry works. Those fields won't last forever. They know that.

...according to 2001sleeper though....they might last forever.

I'd be all for American energy independence as that would create TONS of jobs, more stable jobs at that, etc..but that'll never happen.

Where did I say fields would last forever.
I think you are quoting the wrong person.

I am enjoying your dumb posts though.

Users who are viewing this thread