Kill the new GTO

baddogz28

"Trick love dem kids."
Established Member
Oops, wouldn't let me delete this post...

Last edited:

baddogz28

"Trick love dem kids."
Established Member
This is silliness. All I said to begin with is that the LS1 is a quality motor, not as low-tech as you mod motor lovers think, and deserves at least a little respect as being a well engineered engine. I now have 28 posts in 3 days (many responding to you) and it appears that you're missing the big picture to what I tried to say so many times in this thread. Here is what I have said, and was trying to say b4 this became a pissing match over god knows what:

But I'll concede props to Ford for the forged internals. At least they didn't cut corners.

Don't get me wrong, Cobras are DEFINETELY fast, but Ford did what it had to do with a sub-standard base engine, forge the internals and throw a supercharger on it because it would cost the company too much to port the heads and intake and change the cam profile on every mach 1 engine to make that kind of power for the cobra. It's all economics.

To each their own, but the 4.6 isn't any better than an LS1/2/6

Yeah I had one w/ a 305- those were junk. I just say compare apples to apples, if some of you are gonna hate on LS1/6's, compare the Cobra motor to the Z06 motor.

Hey, man, that's cool... But some people on this thread need to give credit where it's due, if it wasn't for some ignorant comments about LS V8's I wouldn't have even reg'd.

My car only has light boltons and I ran neck and neck with a 98 Cobra with a Vortech and nitto slicks, and I trashed a Magnacharged C5 vette- some are faster than others... I did it NA out of manifolds, stock cats, TB, 16" kumhos.
Thanks for not flaming me- I just wanted to show the other side of the coin.

I guess if good power and good torque right out of the box, lots of modding potential, and the ability to get 28 mpgs on the highway doesn't signify to you quality engineering, you can't be helped.

As "The Dude" from the Big Lebowski said- "That's just, like, your opinion, man. "

Yeah, I don't agree with the looks but the LS powerplant is a quality piece.

Yeah, you are right- I never said the L98's are good engines, and I never said that the 4.6 was bad, I just said that the LS1 is by no means lo-tech or inefficient.

All told, those 5.0s are badass motors (along w/ LS1's + 4v 4.6 SC)

baddogz28

"Trick love dem kids."
Established Member
Hey, I figured out how we can settle this, since you live in Chi, why don't you come out to the suburbs and we can line 'em up and settle this. We're not getting anywhere here and have been reduced in the last couple pages of this thread to correcting each other's grammar. Last time I checked this ain't "thesaurusperformance.com" so let's dispence with the bullshit. Loser has to edit all of their posts with "I was wrong, I am a dumbass."

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
^....and buy the drinks...lol....All in good fun fellas...No need to get nasty and start a rocuss(sp.)....I say just run what ya brung and hope it's enough...*thumbs up*...

saadcobra

Be away from me
Established Member
What I see is the front pumber is the diff. btw monaro and GTO:kaboom:

baddogz28

"Trick love dem kids."
Established Member
Sounds good to me. Hopefully I don't smoke my clutch, it's on its last legs due to....

http://home.comcast.net/~baddogz28/July_4th_Burnout.avi

and...

dragedited.JPG

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
Hah, no way, you'd smoke me.

I never said the LS1 was a bad engine, it runs great, just like every other mild Chevy 350 I have ever seen. But its by no means anything hotrodders haven't seen a Chevy 350 (fine Chevy 346 if you insist), do before the LS1s time.

Talk to me next summer when I get my 351W hopped up in the 70. Then we can REALLY compare apples to apples.

Yeah, yeah I'm using the excuse of "i'm down 65 cubes", but the fact is its true. You can't compare an N/A 4.6 to a N/A 5.7, just like you can't compare a S/C 4.6 to a N/A 5.7.

I just didn't appreciate you coming in and talking all of the smack that you did. Trust me, even though many don't show it here, most of us do respect the LS1 for what it is.

I'm done with this argument, if you want to run for fun, sure I'll do it, no way I'll win, but sure. I never said once my car was faster than an LS1, I just gave you Chevy guys a reminder of what your engine really was.

Paul

baddogz28

"Trick love dem kids."
Established Member
All I said was that it was a good engine. Ha, I was just joking about a setup race... Maybe I'll see you at a stoplight somewhere in IL. :beer:

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
I wanna run ya....will you buy my truck so that I can buy my car and drop my engine in already? I am tired of looking at it in the driveway, and want to drive something fun.

BlackMachWon

WTF?
Established Member
Not a fan of the car at all, but the 2005 GTO will have the LS2 out of the new Corvette with 400hp.

wm_sorg

Established Member
Interesting. I read somewhere that the car was up for a redesign soon. I saw a blue one sitting in front of a dealer last weekend. I was not impressed. Looks like a four door with the rear seams sealed off.

Users who are viewing this thread