Knight Rider Car Sound.

blackhorse281

Established Member
Yea, ether MM&FF or 5.0 magazine, did a article on the car and the show... If i remember they only had a few real GT500's the rest were ether 3v's or just stage props...
Obviously they cant all be GT500's cuz of the auto tranny...
And yea it sucks, they tried too hard, it gats kinda silly with the car turning into a truck n whatnot... lol:dw:

cobra101

Established Member
Yep. All fakes. That shows what the post production guys know about what on the production set. They DID rent one for the track day recording. I know this because I heard the recordings. They were useful in some instances but it's mostly my car.

I try not to watch ANY show I work on. Once in awhile I will work on a movie that I'll watch but that's bout it.

-Cobra101

Ps. Nice pics of the hotties from the show at least :)

Last edited:

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Yeah, I don't blame them for not using the real thing. It would cost them so much more if they started out with real GT500's.

I also must admit, I do watch the show. . . .but only becuase there is nothing else on to watch. What we needed was Top Gear - American version. Apparently though NBC passed on it since Knight Rider isn't doing too well ratings wise. Which really sucks becuase one show is completely different from the other. I would have loved having a Top Gear of our own to watch.

Last edited:

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
I forgot the person on here but he did the Italian Job sound effects. I he used his cobra if I remember right. Maybe it was a WRX Heck I cant remember, But he was a nice member on here. Its been awhile maybe he doesn't have his cobra anymore. I believe he has done many movies.

Guess this really isn't part of the original thread but we were talking sound effects of movies so thats my cents worth

cobra101

Established Member
Update: Got the whole scoop...

Well... I spoke to a supervisor of the show today. He basically said it's no problem discussing the TRUE details of the show. We spoke for about 10 minutes.

1. They HAD one GT500 for the 2 hour Movie of the week (MOW) last year (which I also worked on). That is why I knew they had at least one real one. At the end of the MOW they recorded it on a track for sound. They blew the motor in the process. (Obviously not professional drivers).

2. The Stage cars are GT shells with, get this, Chevy 350's in them :burn:!!!
Yep. Apparently the mechanic crew truck supporting the show is ALL chevy. So all the motors are CHEVY's in the GT set cars (he says there are three).

3. FORD provided all 3 GT shells AND the GT500 they had for the MOW last year.

4. FORD pays 1 million dollars an episode for promotion. And they have the final airing rights.

5. Turbo mode sounds on kit is a dragster built up chevy big block.

Despite the stage cars having CHEVY motors in them, arghhh.. Take pride in the Fact that the SOUND of the car in the show is a REAL Ford Terminator!

I love that Whine!! One of my ringtones is the KR theme with the cobra sound behind it, great whine.

-Cobra101

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
I watched the auto auction from Arizona a month or so ago on which they sold 2 of the 1st season cars. Part of the description was "GT500 clones." I immediately thought, "wow cheesie."

Users who are viewing this thread