Kooks GT350 Long-Tube Headers Video

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
thanks. that one is a much higher quality recording than the first.

carguy19

Established Member
There is definitely a different tone of this new 5.2L flat plane motor, but to say it sounds like a ferrari is silly. Watch a video of a 430 scuderia or a 458 speciale (which have factory free flowing exhausts). The sounds is nothing alike.

I have been around ferrari cars my whole life and there is nothing similar about the sound of a GT350 and a ferrari motor. I am not saying I don't like the GT350. I do. Its just not the same sound or tone of the ferrari sound. The ferrari is much higher pitched and sounds more like an older (pre hybrid) F1 motor then a muscle car.

Joe_Charles

Established Member
The tone changed drastically after Kooks added their mufflers to the mix. The OEM mufflers had a much higher pitched raspy tone. It is now much more quite with these mufflers. I was afraid I'd have noise issues at Atlanta Motorsports Park.

krt22

Established Member
I honestly liked it with the factory mufflers, im guessing with the valves open its almost a straight through design.

SCalla1384

Established Member
I honestly liked it with the factory mufflers, im guessing with the valves open its almost a straight through design.

I agree. I'd like to hear it from a few different ways though. Normal take off, cruise by, then wot from behind. With both the factory and Kooks catback. But so far I like the factory catback the best.

Really would love to hear the setup with factory mufflers and off road x/headers.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
There is definitely a different tone of this new 5.2L flat plane motor, but to say it sounds like a ferrari is silly. Watch a video of a 430 scuderia or a 458 speciale (which have factory free flowing exhausts). The sounds is nothing alike.

I have been around ferrari cars my whole life and there is nothing similar about the sound of a GT350 and a ferrari motor. I am not saying I don't like the GT350. I do. Its just not the same sound or tone of the ferrari sound. The ferrari is much higher pitched and sounds more like an older (pre hybrid) F1 motor then a muscle car.

The pitch will always be more shrill from a Ferrari v8 because it has split throttle body's, a different firing order, and is much smaller than fords 5.2. The Ferrari v8 is much more like2 4 cylinder engines joined at the crank than a traditional v8. Fords fpc is more like a traditional v8 reengineer to have the firing pacing of twin 4 bangers alternating back and forth.

At their largest, Ferrari v8's are now 4.5L and they do sound much deeper, side by side, than say a 288 gto or f40 from 1987~, but the firing order as well as split throttle body's also make for a sound much more akin to 2 four cylinder engines revving side by side than a traditional v8.

The one commonality between the Ferrari v8 and ford fpc v8 is exhaust pulse. A traditional cpc v8 will resonate a du-dudu-dudu-du-dudu frequency, where as an fpc will resonate a dudu-dudu-dudu-dudu frequency. It's because of the firing order and how that fires at 90* or 180* intervals.

If you watch a video with the 2015 mustang gt idling, and ten one with a gt350 idling, you'll be able to notice the difference. Load a Ferrari idle after and you'll notice the similar idle frequency of firing.

I don't think a gt350 voodoo v8 sounds all too much like a Ferrari mill until about 7500-8250rpm. It sounds more like a rev happier boss 302 mill with a very smooth firing order/pulse.

I personally would love to hear a modular firing order with an fpc. I think that would sound much closer to a Ferrari v8, but still beefy like a nascar v8.

Modular's had a 13726548 order, and coyote/voodoo a 15634872 order. The 90 vs 180* intervals even the pulses though so even with the same firing order as a coyote, the fpc idles with a dudududududu vs du-dudu-dudu-du frequency.

Cool stuff.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I'm excited to hear the numbers it puts down, congrats on the exhaust man!

SCalla1384

Established Member
Nice, I can't wait to see some numbers. Like to see someone really go after it as far as an all out na build. Full exhaust, intake, maybe porting the stock intake manifold or a CJ swap? Wonder if these voodoos would benefit from a CJ, monoblade and big intake. Then some lighter driveline components before doing cams. I need to hit powerball :(

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Nice, I can't wait to see some numbers. Like to see someone really go after it as far as an all out na build. Full exhaust, intake, maybe porting the stock intake manifold or a CJ swap? Wonder if these voodoos would benefit from a CJ, monoblade and big intake. Then some lighter driveline components before doing cams. I need to hit powerball :(

I bet it would take a torque hit.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Looking at the dyno results on the Voodoo IM swap on a Coyote, it looks like it may be a better IM than the CJ anyway. No torque loss, and continues to pull to at least 7,500. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452621690.829345.jpg

SCalla1384

Established Member
I bet it would take a torque hit.

For what it's worth, in my coyote I went stock manifold to boss no changes other than that, dyno I picked up hp, but lost a good chunk of torque. I also ran faster (et and trap) with a worse 60' and in the same DA.

These cars don't make lots of torque anyways. Nothing some weight reduction and gearing can't fix lol.

But yes, I'd be interested to see. Not sure what size throttle body the voodoo intake can run? But I see being able to run the big monoblade as a big advantage on the voodoo motor with a CJ intake.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
If only somebody could make it sound like this!!! I get goosebumps on the decel every time.

[video=youtube;nM3fW4JUThU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM3fW4JUThU[/video]

If Ford would've made it sound like that from the factory, I probably would've gladly paid a modest ADM just for that sound!

[video=youtube;wLOigpqAPzI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLOigpqAPzI[/video]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread