L&M Engine makes 1000hp with TVS@15-16psi

Status
Not open for further replies.

OKgt500

Established Member
I have to say that I couldn't be happier with my choice to use Michael (and crew) at L&M Engines to build the engine for my 2014 Shelby. I did a lot of research and talking with people that had used Michael before and I had even installed several of his engines in customers vehicles over the years that they had purchased from him and brought to me. I am a Senior Master Ford Technician that could have very easily put my own engine together but made the choice to let someone that puts these HIGHEND engines together everyday tackle this project. Michael and I talked several times before the engine was ever sent his way and he ALWAYS had/made time to come to the phone or call me right back even before I was a customer. Once the engine was shipped his way, I asked for a short deadline so I could make the March Texas Mile event. He got started on my engine in a VERY timely manner and called anytime there was something that needed to be decided or I needed to know about. I told him I wanted a reliable engine and to let me know if there was anything extra we needed to do. I realized that anytime I am going for a "all out" build there is a chance of failure. If 1000hp was easy to control, make reliable, and be cost effective then Ford would have done it in the first place.

As for the engine build, I shipped Michael a brand new 5.8L aluminum block after we had lengthy talks about pros/cons of sleeving my damaged block. I also shipped him the factory crank, heads, and the aftermarket cams I already owned. I told him if I could make more power with his cams to make it worth spending the extra money then to install his cams. He measured and checked the specs on my used cams at no charge to me and informed me that he didn't feel the difference would be worth the costs, which I respected the fact he was honest and not trying to make easy money that I had already said I would spend. The engine was built to what I consider the "normal" L&M Engines GT500 engine build with diamond pistons, manley rods, factory crank(balanced), ported heads, oil pump gears, and my camshafts. After several talks we did make the decision to go ahead and upgrade the timing chains to the "FORD GT" timing for the added security that maybe it would help save the motor if limiters were hit too many times.

Engine was then sent back to me in half the deadline time that I had asked for(remember I am a first time customer with no connections). Engine was then set in the car with American racing headers, fore fuel system, ati balancer(Michael double keyed hub and installed for me), factory intercooler, ported tvs blower by billet pro shop, jlt 155 intake. I would like to thank Jordan Weir over at Weir Racing for supplying everything that went into this build except for the engine. All worked was performed by myself. Vehicle received a "email" tune for the guys over at Lund Racing. Everything wrapped up and engine was fired for the first time on the Monday before the Texas Mile, strapped it down on the dyno on Tuesday and on the first tune that was sent the car made 959hp at 7000rpm. Car went into the trailer on Wednesday and was running the Texas Mile on Friday. We bumped up the boost and tweaked the tune at the Texas Mile to get well up over the 1000hp mark. Car ran 214.8MPH on Sunday morning after going through licensing on Friday and Saturday. Was kindly hinted at by track officials to put it in the trailer due to rollcage only tech'ed to 215MPH.

Car has since been back to the Colorado mile, many many many street hits, and then went 9.51@149 in the quarter mile with FULL vehicle weight. Car has been driven everytime I get in it like it was built to be driven and keeps on ticking. I would love to say that I am a perfect driver and have not missed a shift here and there but I am human. The engine keeps on ticking and make huge power for the low boost we are feeding it. I am sure everyone as usual is going to say it is impossible and I can save you the time. It is a SUPER efficient engine with VERY low restriction and everyone knows boost is only a measure of restriction. The car is pullied to make over 20psi of boost but we never even come close to seeing that number! The MPH in the mile and et/mph in the 1/4 is all the proof I need and dyno's don't win races, but L&M engines with Weir Racing parts/support and Lund Racing tuning does win races!!!!

Special Thanks to the following because none of this would be possible without them!!!

Michael and Denise and Crew @ L&M engines for the heart of the beast
Jordan Weir @ Weir Racing for every other part
Mat and Sylvain @ Billet Pro Shop for their TVS work
Jon Lund Jr @ Lund Racing for the tuning
My better half and boss for their support and patience

DieselDr

Established Member
Glad everything turned out good for u! What pulley combo? What fuel? Was the lower intake ported to match the heads? Thanks for the info

OKgt500

Established Member
On E85 fuel, no the intake was not ported to match the heads due to time.

TVS VERT

Established Member
Lol.....hopefully it last longer than Kurt's Lemon that L&M build that made 1000 hp I believe it lasted 300-400 miles ......but great numbers nonetheless

rdsnk46

Established Member
Congrats man! Michael is a great guy and I'm glad to hear some positive reviews from his customers.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Lol.....hopefully it last longer than Kurt's Lemon that L&M build that made 1000 hp I believe it lasted 300-400 miles ......but great numbers nonetheless

Yeah, and maybe Kurt was the lemon and not L&M.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member

Or maybe they ****ed his engine up and his thread/bad review is hurting their business so they're asking other people to come in and give positive reviews. Over 118 thousand views of a well written negative review with evidence to back it up cant be good for business. Nothing against you or op, glad this engine got done right.

Bad Company

Established Member
Yes I'm the lemon alright. What is really funny is none of you can read and comprehend very well.

1) Michael hand wrote,. photocopied and made me sign an inventory list of the failed timing chain components as my property before he allowed me to remove them. His hand writing not mine. He created that forensic trail of those parts being mine........not me. Yet those parts mocked up on my block and heads with the correct last 8 digits of the VIN stamped in the block to match my car, those parts couldn't have possibly done what he says they did without destroying the tensioner arm or the fail safe ratcheting mechanism of the oil tensioner that applies pressure to the tensioner arm. Yet I'm the lemon.........I'll admit that I have a real sour taste in my mouth after this ordeal LOL

TVS VERT

Established Member
Or maybe they ****ed his engine up and his thread/bad review is hurting their business so they're asking other people to come in and give positive reviews. Over 118 thousand views of a well written negative review with evidence to back it up cant be good for business. Nothing against you or op, glad this engine got done right.

This is how I say it , "nail on the head"

Softballer77

Established Member
By definition you are the lemon. There are several 1000 hp engines holding up to severe abuse.

No, by definition a lemon was created by L&M by which they got their hand stuck in the cookie jar by not installing parts that were paid for by the customer. Unfortunately for them, they had no idea they f*&%^D with the wrong guy who would be as indepth as he is in uncovering the fraud. If I were were everyone else running an L&M, I'd be worried if I have a timebomb under my hood based on the evidence provided by BC.

No one can tell me that every person running an L&M motor that did NOT witness every part get installed did not wonder at least a smidgen on whether they got hosed as well, and what they paid for is NOT in the depths of their motors. The business knows no one will just go tearing into an engine for the hell of it. Easy schmeezy.

Tons of other motors taking extraordinary abuse built by them does not prove that this man was not ripped off. If anything, it shows how big of a chunk of metal they gave him to NOT hold up as well as all these other motors. Texas Miles....Mohave Miles...drag strips everywhere...street racing...etc. Tons of abuse. This man makes it no more than 350 miles with none of those events and it crumbles. To me it's obvious...

There could be 100 more good posts of L&M, and they wouldn't convince me that they didn't do wrong. When people make mistakes, you do what you have to to make it right. I don't care if you have to take it in the ass on occasion. You make it right for the long haul of your business. Period.

Last edited:

Softballer77

Established Member
This is how I say it , "nail on the head"

I couldn't agree more.

Makinghole

Established Member
I stand with the OP on giving over whelming support to L&M. Why is it that when 2 people post who have had great experiences with our motors we are dismissed as fan boys or cheerleaders. When a persons entourage, only one of who has an engine, keep piling it on it is viewed as community service.

carguy19

Established Member
Someone is definitely asking people to post positive feedback on this site because of badcompany's negative thread. Its inevitable.

If I was the owner of L&M I would make a thread and say.... Bad company we will warranty your faulty engine and acknowledge we screwed up or evo screwed up. We will take it on the nose because we stand behind our work. That would be all the positive press they would need. Without this everyone that reads this forum will think 10 times before bringing their motor there. If they don't it's just plain stupid to not doubt what they are up to. You should always get what you pay for and trust your engine builder.. not find out after a failure that he used inferior parts without asking the owner first. Evo being involved or not.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Someone is definitely asking people to post positive feedback on this site because of badcompany's negative thread. Its inevitable.

LOL at the thought they give one rats ass about what is said on here. You have never worked with them for sure.

carguy19

Established Member
LOL at the thought they give one rats ass about what is said on here. You have never worked with them for sure.

I wouldnt buy a bolt from them after the crooked sh*t they pulled w bad company.

Building a motor to specs other then what is in writing without consulting the owner is FRAUD. Which is a felony if you didn't know.

If you have a motor from them, you don't even know that you got the parts you were promised after the fiasco that happened to badcompany.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread