Laguna Seca racetrack have the Shelby's number........................

Cman01

hello
Established Member
........................when it comes to braking AGAIN it looks like.

We've seen the vid of the latest drag race with the Shelby taking 4th against some major world class rides. That race was just part of Motor Trend's best driver's car test for 2012.

The full test is here:

Picking the 2012 Best Driver's Car! - YouTube

They ran those cars on the street and at Laguna Seca and once again they bitched about how the brakes on the Shelby started letting go only after just one hot lap.

So now we have "supposedly" two incidents of brakes not being able to take a beating at Laguna Seca, according to MT's testing. (this one and the last one during the head to head against the ZL1)

Again this car has 15" rotors clamped by Brembo 6 piston calipers for the life of me I cannot see this car having brake issues with brakes that size WTF is going on????

BTW, the times listed on that drag race video weren't the times all those cars did on that actual pass MT simply regurgitated the #'s from those cars during separate testing of each vehicle for the issue it was to be published. It's almost as if they had to bring up the braking problem again for this Shelby example simply because the first model Shelby they tested had the problem.

The car might be heavy but with brakes that size there shouldn't be issues at the track, what gives????

Tony

bpmurr

Established Member
Isn't it the same car just different edit? Ran same time as the GT vs ZL1.

I think so. I think they did a couple different articles on the same day. It's not cheap to rent out a track.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Why haven't any of the real owners of these cars bitched about the brakes? I have looked at many posts across several forums and have not heard anyone complain about the performance of the brakes on the 2013. There was a lot of whining about the small rear calipers, but that was from an appearance standpoint not a performance standpoint.

maverikb

Established Member
third if you count Angus MacKenzie.

i think maybe the problem is only noticeable during constant heavy braking such as a track or windy mountain road going balls to the wall.

probably not so much an issue dragging or daily driver.

I've also read "somewhere" of heat soak at the track. They had to do lap on lap off even with track pack. . . but am unable to find the thread now.

I heard upgrading pads, fluid change, going ventilated in rear and adding cooling ducts to front is the cheapest solution, compared to going 4 wheel disc but no first hand experience myself.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
MT seems to be the only mag that had these brake issues. Interesting. Gotta be the same car

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Why haven't any of the real owners of these cars bitched about the brakes? I have looked at many posts across several forums and have not heard anyone complain about the performance of the brakes on the 2013. There was a lot of whining about the small rear calipers, but that was from an appearance standpoint not a performance standpoint.

Lets be honest, the owners don't do any road course times. All they want is quarter mile stuff and spirited sunday drives. Also, if they have never been on an open track and they take the new 500 out, they might not even know what a good pedal feel should be. I wouldn't take a brand new one out either on the road course, too much $ on the line to hit a wall so I can't blame the owners.

None the less, still the baddest GT500 ever in my opinion. Like some other guys said, change the fluid and maybe get some installed break cooling, hopefully solved the problem.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
for the 37th time, the lap in the GT500-ZL1 comparo is the exact same lap in the drivers car comparo! they didn't test the GT500-ZL1 at laguna seca with randy pobst a few months ago, and then test them again at laguna seca with randy pobst for the drivers car comparo, the GT500-ZL1 article was written at the same time as the drivers car article. the video footage, laps, and lap times are one in the same but being used for two different articles.
these aren't two separate incidents, it's one incident being reported in two different articles. and it's one incident being reported from only one source - motortrend - and no one else in any other review/comparison.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
for the 37th time, the lap in the GT500-ZL1 comparo is the exact same lap in the drivers car comparo! they didn't test the GT500-ZL1 at laguna seca with randy pobst a few months ago, and then test them again at laguna seca with randy pobst for the drivers car comparo, the GT500-ZL1 article was written at the same time as the drivers car article. the video footage, laps, and lap times are one in the same but being used for two different articles.
these aren't two separate incidents, it's one incident being reported in two different articles. and it's one incident being reported from only one source - motortrend - and no one else in any other review/comparison.

This is true- another reason I don't buy car mags

Yellow03snake

Established Member

This.

Van did a sweet video disspelling the "brake myth" on these cars with nothing more than a fluid change.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Brake pads, brake fluid and cooling ducts.... Factory pads are NOT for real track usage.

Van@RevanRacing

What fluid should it be replaced with? What comes from the factory?

I use Brembo LCF 600.

Lets be honest, the owners don't do any road course times. All they want is quarter mile stuff and spirited sunday drives. Also, if they have never been on an open track and they take the new 500 out, they might not even know what a good pedal feel should be. I wouldn't take a brand new one out either on the road course, too much $ on the line to hit a wall so I can't blame the owners.

None the less, still the baddest GT500 ever in my opinion. Like some other guys said, change the fluid and maybe get some installed break cooling, hopefully solved the problem.

Since we are getting ready to start college football...........not so fast my friend!

Less than 400 miles on the clock and I was at Sebring flogging mine in Time Trial and the following weekend at Homestead observing the fine ZL1 from my rear view mirror.

Revan Racing 2013 GT500 6/23/12 NASA Time Trial Sebring Raceway Best Lap 2.29.339 - YouTube

2013 GT500 Revan Racing VS. Camaro ZL1 Torq Road Course - YouTube

This.

Van did a sweet video disspelling the "brake myth" on these cars with nothing more than a fluid change.

I changed the fluid to Brembo LCF 600. Ran Time Trial at Sebring and then drove it home. The following weekend I drove it to Homestead. I'm still using the same brake fluid in the car to this day and will change it up before the next track event.

Yes, brake ducts are necessary and I am working on it. Pads are necessary as well however I did pretty good with the OEM pads.

Van

HansHeinen

SHELBYS ARE ME
Established Member
Tris is all great Newsweek Van! Yes, brake cooling duct/kit Cant wait! Bringing both Shelbys to Sebrings first event in November. Will have my 07 shelbyGt finished soon from a Nissan GTR swiping me into the wall at Homestead/Miami back in March. Hope to see ya there! Also Daytona event with HOD beginning of December.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I am wonder how much the drivers had to do with the brake problems in the video. It was mentioned that three of the cars tested had brake problems, not just the GT500. They actually wore out the brakes in the Subaru.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread