Latest HotRod issue get's FIRST DRIVE of new GT500 Coupe!

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Hey guys... got the magazine yesterday... haven't seen anything posted...

Here are the highlights of the article:

1.) First off... testing was done at California Motor Speedway... and cars were not 100% production cars (Obviously)

2.) At time of article... they were saying 475+HP (engineers said more like 485HP/475TQ on conservative 'fat' tune... and should be more when leaned out for mileage reasons). They said the first cars dynoed 435-440 RWHP.

3.) Transmission is called a Tremec TR6060 (I know alot of people didn't know exactly what it was going to be called). 1st gear is a 2.97

4.) 3.31 Rear Gear

5.) 14" Front Brakes 11.8" rear 4 Piston Front Calipers, Stock Rear w/ Better pads

6.) 18X9.5" all the way around... 255/45 Front.. 285/40 Rear

7.) Front Splitter & Rear wing are functional... 160lbs Lift + 160lbs Downforce at 150MPH... for Zero Lift. (Standard GT has 400Lbs of lift at 150!)

8.) 3,920 Coupe / 4,040 Convertible 57/43 Weight Distribution Coupe

9.) I'll quote this line for everyone "When we reported on the conept car a year ago, the target was to keep it under $40K, but it doesn't look like that'll happen"... "Ford says the final pricing hasn't been set but admits it will be in the low $40's."

10.) 7,500 cars per year minimum expectations

11.) "When the PR folks weren't looking... they snuck over to a long access road at California Speeway... and put the G-Tech up on the windshield... spun REALLY HARD out of the hole to do 0-60 in 5.1 & 12.9 @ 111 in the 1/4. The 0-60 time is a result of 'totally blazing' the tires off the line, and our itty bitty window of time with the car meant we didn't horse around w/ Calibrating the G-Tech. But we're completely comfortable in saying that this is an Easy 12 second car."

12.) GT500 BOLT-ON Speedparts! "There will be a 'Power Pack' that will increase blower boost and add exhaust and air intake enjancements. A GT500 specific 'Drage Pack' is the Power Pack plus, headers, perhaps a new rear gear, and a shifter. The 'Handling Pack' will lower the car an inch and include adjustable shocks & strutes. Then there's a s'Super Pack' a blower upgrade to a 3.3L Whipple twin-screw huffer"

13.) FRPP is also developing a driveshaft kit, brake pad upgrades, and a brake duct cooling kit.

That is at least all the 'major' stuff... that I caught!

Hope this helps!

Dave

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Dave Schotz said:
9.) I'll quote this line for everyone "When we reported on the conept car a year ago, the target was to keep it under $40K, but it doesn't look like that'll happen"... "Ford says the final pricing hasn't been set but admits it will be in the low $40's."Dave

Great, add in the gas guzzler tax and you will most likely be in the mid 40's. :dw: Other than that this is good news. I like the fact that Ford will be offering performance packs for the car. Hopefully purchasing them and having it installed by the dealer won't void the warranty.

Unfortuately my only hope for getting one will be to wait for the second year run and hope all the mark ups and hype has died down. Then just maybe I can pick one up for MSRP or hopefully a little under but that's probably just a pipe dream. :poke:

broeli

Established Member
I'm pretty sure I remember reading that adding the power, drag, or super pack would void the warranty. It's definitely a pretty good article.

donpablo

Established Member
.... Hopefully purchasing them and having it installed by the dealer won't void the warranty.

That WOULD be nice. The friggin little Skittle SRT-4s have 'em, why can't we?

Thanks for the Cliff Notes on the 500.

DP

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
Dave Schotz said:
8.) 3,920 Coupe / 4,040 Convertible 57/43 Weight Distribution Coupe

Dave

wow, 3,900 lbs? shes a hefty girl....makes my cougar look anorexic

Last edited:

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Since more boost and a Whipple are offered in the "Packs," should we not believe that the bottom issues have be solved to the naysayers' satisfaction?

Last edited:

Jiggy T

Established Member
I am completely jealous of the peope in hotrod magazine. i would kill to be able to take the gt500 for a drive.

chuckstang

Established Member
I bet if your local Ford dealer installs the parts it will not void the warranty. I am also wandering if they will say a rebuild is needed before adding the big whipple!
I wana go out and grab this mag right now to read about it!

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
chuckstang said:
I bet if your local Ford dealer installs the parts it will not void the warranty. I am also wandering if they will say a rebuild is needed before adding the big whipple!
I wana go out and grab this mag right now to read about it!

+1

However, I can't see them possibly offering a warranty with the big Whipple upgrade. It would be awesome, but would inevitably cost a fortune for Ford.

Tmac

Established Member
ElGato said:
wow, 3,900 lbs? shes a hefty girl....makes my cougar look anorexic
I'm not trying to flame the GT500, but I am wondering if this will feel like a boat driving it. I drove a GT convertible the other day and it felt huge and clunky, not agile at all. With this weighing in at about 200lbs more will it feel just as heavy or will the tighter suspension make it feel more nimble?

Last edited:

broeli

Established Member
Like I said..I'm 99% sure it said in the article that any power adding pack WILL void the warranty even if it is dealer installed

venams03

Established Member
Man,

They better be careful with the pricing as I've said in the past. If they price this thing close to 44-45K for the coupe (that's not taking even taking the bull**** ADM and hype into account) and I'll have trouble justifying spending that kind of cash on a Mustang, period. (Don't flame and start the "it isn't a mustang, it's a SHELBY" crap!)

The C6 might start to look like a better bargain

bluestreak89

Established Member
3900 lbs sucs, If they had put some extra work into building an aluminum frame the car would be worth what it's going to cost after the markups. Could you imagine this car at 3300 lbs!!!! Would be a whole different matter. And why not even make a special model with an aluminum frame that weighs that much instead of trying to add hp (boss) why not reduce weight.

Svt Pilot

Established Member
Just like the whipple blowers Ford Racing sells now for the Lightning and Cobra, they will void factory warranty.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
3900 lbs sucs, If they had put some extra work into building an aluminum frame the car would be worth what it's going to cost after the markups. Could you imagine this car at 3300 lbs!!!! Would be a whole different matter. And why not even make a special model with an aluminum frame that weighs that much instead of trying to add hp (boss) why not reduce weight.

This car technically doesn't have a frame, it's a unibody. Unibody's are heavy and to make a unibody all Al wold be $$$$$

An Al unibody might not even provide enough rigidity anyway.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Blown04 said:
Just like the whipple blowers Ford Racing sells now for the Lightning and Cobra, they will void factory warranty.

Exactly. People forget that Ford Racing offered performance upgrades for the Terminators just like this. Springs, headers, Whipple, etc, etc. All of which immediately voided the warranty.

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread