Latest HotRod issue get's FIRST DRIVE of new GT500 Coupe!

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I was quoted in Hot Rod telling HTT he was going to get a wedgie if he screwed up the GT500. That is about as close to that mag as I have ever been. They are very biased.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
The question is if the "packs" are a dealer option then you are covered. If you purchase them on your own then sorry.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
I was quoted in Hot Rod telling HTT he was going to get a wedgie if he screwed up the GT500. That is about as close to that mag as I have ever been. .

That beats my restraining order from one of the girls who worked at Mustangs and Fast Fords a couple years ago. I'm a subscriber, what do you mean I can't touch her!?! (j/k)

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Thanks for the notes on the article, cool stuff.

I went by one our areas smaller dealers, I bought a car from years ago, they do the no haggle pricing thing, the mark the GT verts $2K down, which is a very good deal right now. They said they were getting 3 GT500's, sold all 3 with contracts for $5K markup, when asked price, they said the coupe was $44K and change plus options etc. and the one vert they were getting will be about $50K, plus markup, guzzler, etc. I know they don't really know the price, but we keep hearing the $44-45K starting price figure .. which would really suck for me personally, even for 08 without a markup it'd be too rich for me. I paid $37K OTD for my 03 CobraVert, going up $15K is too much for me to bite off for a "fun" car. I do love my Term like crazy, but I'm juiced about the 500, still hoping Ford shocks us by pricing it like they originally said they would, under $40K.

Dave.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
I was quoted in Hot Rod telling HTT he was going to get a wedgie if he screwed up the GT500. That is about as close to that mag as I have ever been. They are very biased.

Yea. Pro-Chevy.

G. El Dorado

Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
3900 lbs sucs, If they had put some extra work into building an aluminum frame the car would be worth what it's going to cost after the markups. Could you imagine this car at 3300 lbs!!!! Would be a whole different matter. And why not even make a special model with an aluminum frame that weighs that much instead of trying to add hp (boss) why not reduce weight.

That would be nice but I don't think anyone would want to pay 100k for a Mustang.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
SVTkel said:
The question is if the "packs" are a dealer option then you are covered. If you purchase them on your own then sorry.

But it would be up to that dealer to warranty the work, and any coverage would come out of their personal business policy, not that of Fords. It is unlikely that Ford will cover these items. Very unlikely.

Jpjr

Established Member
love or hate the car, i seriously can't understand why its going to cost so much. the only real R&D appears to be the front and rear bumper. the motor was pieced together from existing stuff. granted any time you make a car you need to tune the motor, suspension, everything.. but those costs are there for $20k cars.

i guess my point is, would it be wrong to expect an aluminum block at $40k+?

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
Quote:They said the first cars dynoed 435-440 RWHP.
I remember a few guys on this board claiming them numbers 6 months ago!
I think the 1/4 mile times are off a bit, maybe 2 or 3 tenths on street tires.

Tim ; )

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Ford is going to use the heightened profits from this car to aid in paying down debt, and as advertising to get people into the show room to buy their other cars. The C6 ZO6 is the only car that I think is within an acceptable percentage of cost -vs- MSRP for me to even think about buying right now. If you think about it, the Z is a real bargain compared to the competition that it is showing it's tail lights to.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I don't see why you guys are getting all up in arms about pricing right now when it's still all speculation. Just wait two more weeks and it'll be official.

Ford released hp figures a long time ago, then when they were finalized they were even better than we hoped.

Let's just all relax a little and wait for all the facts before laying down a verdict.

bluestreak89

Established Member
G. El Dorado said:
That would be nice but I don't think anyone would want to pay 100k for a Mustang.

If it was light enough and fast enough they would. Bet you thought no one would pay that much for a corvette either did ya. If someone had asked you that question 3 or 4 years ago you would have said hell no. Well some have paid that for the current Z and the SS will msrp close to it. so dont think its not possible. Especially with the shelby name on it. Im not saying that it shouldnt keep its value as best bang for the buck but geez. I was really hoping this car would be serious comp for the Z. Something anything to shutup all those guys that think the car is god. Hopefully the new 911 turbo can do that.

earl lee

Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
If it was light enough and fast enough they would. Bet you thought no one would pay that much for a corvette either did ya. If someone had asked you that question 3 or 4 years ago you would have said hell no. Well some have paid that for the current Z and the SS will msrp close to it. so dont think its not possible. Especially with the shelby name on it. Im not saying that it shouldnt keep its value as best bang for the buck but geez. I was really hoping this car would be serious comp for the Z. Something anything to shutup all those guys that think the car is god. Hopefully the new 911 turbo can do that.

The 06 Z is God compared to this bloated mustang. Sorry! :pop:

mrGT

Established Member
Gotta love all the Vette worshipers! They love their car so much! The Mustang isn't even in the same category as a Vette. The Mustang runs against the Camaro for God's sake...and you won't see a stock Camaro beating a stock Vette, either. It's been that way since the 60's. When it all began back in the 50's, it was the Thunderbird vs the Corvette...but Ford soon pulled out of the 2-seater race leaving that category all to Chevy...and Chevy ran with it...and have done a magnificent job of it too, I might add.

Wait for the new Camaro...and then let the races begin...as well as all the bullshit talk. As for me, whenever a Mustang beats a Vette...any Vette, it's a disgrace to the Vette. As has been pointed out over and over and over, the Vette is lighter with a better hp/lb ratio than the Shelby. So what? But it's my guess that the base C6 will soon be receiving a larger motor...Chevy knows that it's a disgrace to beat by a Mustang...and this Shelby will give that car a run for it's money.

stang22

Established Member
earl lee said:
The 06 Z is God compared to this bloated mustang. Sorry! :pop:
Yea but they're 2 different kinds of cars! 1 is a two seat sports car around 70+ in price,..while the other is a 2dr.muscle car for around 40+ in price! For 30k difference,...I could do a heck of alot of modding to make you forget about the chevy! ;-)

bluestreak89

Established Member
mrGT said:
Gotta love all the Vette worshipers! They love their car so much! The Mustang isn't even in the same category as a Vette. The Mustang runs against the Camaro for God's sake...and you won't see a stock Camaro beating a stock Vette, either. It's been that way since the 60's. When it all began back in the 50's, it was the Thunderbird vs the Corvette...but Ford soon pulled out of the 2-seater race leaving that category all to Chevy...and Chevy ran with it...and have done a magnificent job of it too, I might add.

Wait for the new Camaro...and then let the races begin...as well as all the bullshit talk. As for me, whenever a Mustang beats a Vette...any Vette, it's a disgrace to the Vette. As has been pointed out over and over and over, the Vette is lighter with a better hp/lb ratio than the Shelby. So what? But it's my guess that the base C6 will soon be receiving a larger motor...Chevy knows that it's a disgrace to beat by a Mustang...and this Shelby will give that car a run for it's money.

Nah I doubt it will get a larger motor. As it stands now the c6 is a decent matchup for the GT as many here have agreed it took nearly 90 more rwhp to beat or tie a vette and that was for the older lighter stangs. This one is heavier so therefore I think it wont beat the base c6 by all that much. And the bhp is 100 difference so the rwhp will be about 100 in difference as well making this a pretty even matchup. mid to low 12's are the best for the c6 and will be also for the GT500

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
mrGT said:
a magnificent job of it too, I might add.

Unfortunately when the Camaro does come out it’s going to spank our Shelby,s. You can call BS on this, but remember where you herd it!
I’m positive!

Tim

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
LR 01 Cobra said:
Unfortunately when the Camaro does come out it’s going to spank our Shelby,s. You can call BS on this, but remember where you herd it!
I’m positive!

Tim

i would hope it does. 2010 camaro vs the 2007 mustang. yes it should be faster. but then again the the 2010 mustang(svt) should be faster than the 2007 mustang(svt) as well.

the car that i want to see built is that 2010 trans am thats in the new hot rod magazine. thats the car i would buy if i had a choice between the mustang, camaro, or charger. that photoshop looks looks awesome. :pepper: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread