Latest HotRod issue get's FIRST DRIVE of new GT500 Coupe!

mrGT

Established Member
LR 01 Cobra said:
Unfortunately when the Camaro does come out it’s going to spank our Shelby,s. You can call BS on this, but remember where you herd it!
I’m positive!

Tim
So be it.... but for me, that's always been the matchup...Camaro vs Mustang. Not Mustang vs Vette.

....but if the Camaro would spank the Shelby, wouldn't it also take the C6? If so, I stand corrected...I would never have forseen Chevy letting a stock Camaro beat their beloved Vette...no way, no how would I have expected that.

mrGT

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
i would hope it does. 2010 camaro vs the 2007 mustang. yes it should be faster. but then again the the 2010 mustang(svt) should be faster than the 2007 mustang(svt) as well.

the car that i want to see built is that 2010 trans am thats in the new hot rod magazine. thats the car i would buy if i had a choice between the mustang, camaro, or charger. that photoshop looks looks awesome. :pepper: :beer:
Can you post a link to that photoshop or a scan of the picture?

What engine was speculated for the Trans?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
just go to a bookstore and check the mag. july edition on the hot rod mag. on the cover upper right hand corner there is a white trans am with a sky blue bird, and at the back of the shelby article(last pages of shelby article) there is the same photo but of a black car and gold bird. looks sweet.
based on the new camaro, with the look of the 73 trans am 455. :D :bowdown:

drmustang

Banned
chuckstang said:
44-45 k msrp is way too much
All of them will never sell for that

A 45 grand sticker for a GT500 coupe would virtually guarantee the need for discounts/incentives at some point. The Terminators were a few years ago what this car is now and they fell out of bed with a 35K price tag.
6-7 thousand dollar discounts revived them. The T-Birds that played to a much larger general audience than this GT500 does crashed and burned with a 40 somehting thousand price. I really don't see why these cars shouldn't be priced at the inflation adjusted equivalent of the previous Cobras.

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
mrGT said:
....but if the Camaro would spank the Shelby, wouldn't it also take the C6? If so, I stand corrected...I would never have forseen Chevy letting a stock Camaro beat their beloved Vette...no way, no how would I have expected that.

I can tell you that in the past the Vett has always been top dog, I think your right that won't change. But when GM anounces the specs on the new Camaro everybody will be shocked!
To answer your question, it will kill the 2006/2007 C6 too! But the cars not coming out until 2009/2010 so the Vett will be faster by then also.

ON D BIT said:
i would hope it does. 2010 camaro vs the 2007 mustang. yes it should be faster. but then again the the 2010 mustang(svt) should be faster than the 2007 mustang(svt) as well.

I would hope so!

Tim :beer:

Tony Alonso

Established Member
LR 01 Cobra said:
I can tell you that in the past the Vett has always been top dog, I think your right that won't change. But when GM anounces the specs on the new Camaro everybody will be shocked!
To answer your question, it will kill the 2006/2007 C6 too! But the cars not coming out until 2009/2010 so the Vett will be faster by then also.

They are going to have to go with a serious (475hp+) engine if the platform weighs anywhere near what the new Holden sedan using the chassis is speculated to weigh (4000lbs). At that power level and the pricing that would follow, it becomes a smaller volume Camaro, similar to the GT500.

Last edited:

crazyhorse06

Established Member
Tony Alonso said:
They are going to have to go with a serious (475hp+) engine if the platform weighs anywhere near what the new Holden sedan using the chassis is speculated to weigh (4000lbs). At that power level and the pricing that would follow, it becomes a smaller volume Camaro, similar to the GT500.
I could see an SS type version having that kind of power, but, not the regular z28.

2003 Silver

Banned
HISSMAN said:
Ford is going to use the heightened profits from this car to aid in paying down debt, and as advertising to get people into the show room to buy their other cars. The C6 ZO6 is the only car that I think is within an acceptable percentage of cost -vs- MSRP for me to even think about buying right now. If you think about it, the Z is a real bargain compared to the competition that it is showing it's tail lights to.

I just came from dinner and pulled into a chevy dealership and they had a LeMans blue z06 in the showroom (sold sign on it).......man it looked REALLY mean!! I'm getting bored with my car...new whipple and all....I plan to upgrade by year's end to a new vette (regular or z) or a GT500 (if I can get at MSRP).

GTWill

Established Member
LR 01 Cobra said:
Unfortunately when the Camaro does come out it’s going to spank our Shelby,s. You can call BS on this, but remember where you herd it!
I’m positive!

Tim
Spank the GT's maybe but the Shelby? They will still need a low price (GT neighborhood) Camaro to sell enough volume to make it worthwile. They may make a low volume high performance version to "spank the Shelby"but the average Camero I don't think so.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i totally agree with him. you guys really think that GM is gonna leave the base level vette horsepower the same as it is now in the next 3-4 years? i doubt it. and i sure as hell hope a 10' car would spank a 07' car(like someone else said). GM would be fricken stupid to not spank the 500.

bluestreak89

Established Member
drmustang said:
A 45 grand sticker for a GT500 coupe would virtually guarantee the need for discounts/incentives at some point. The Terminators were a few years ago what this car is now and they fell out of bed with a 35K price tag.
6-7 thousand dollar discounts revived them. The T-Birds that played to a much larger general audience than this GT500 does crashed and burned with a 40 somehting thousand price. I really don't see why these cars shouldn't be priced at the inflation adjusted equivalent of the previous Cobras.

Shelby + 500 hp = no way

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
GTWill said:
Spank the GT's maybe but the Shelby? They will still need a low price (GT neighborhood) Camaro to sell enough volume to make it worthwile. They may make a low volume high performance version to "spank the Shelby"but the average Camero I don't think so.

I know so!
I'm buying a Gt 500, I'm not knocking the car! I love it, that's why I'm buying one!
I'm just saying the Camaro will kill it! You'll see! I don't like it, but that's life!

As with almost all of my posts you'll have to wait and see!

Tim

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
LR 01 Cobra said:

Tim

look at what we know today and look at what lr 01 cobra knew 6 months to a year ago. from basic gt500 info to specific differences between the this engine and the ford gt motor. i dont know of one post of his where it has not been true.

scratch that i do know of one post. price will be announced today. :lol: you blew that one Tim. :beer: but its all good. i will trust your info over what the magazines have to say. :rockon:

MedVader

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
look at what we know today and look at what lr 01 cobra knew 6 months to a year ago. from basic gt500 info to specific differences between the this engine and the ford gt motor. i dont know of one post of his where it has not been true.

scratch that i do know of one post. price will be announced today. :lol: you blew that one Tim. :beer: but its all good. i will trust your info over what the magazines have to say. :rockon:

Put me on that list.

The dude has a direct pipeline to the skunkworks around Detroit or sumthin'.

bluestreak89

Established Member
I think there will be a trim for the Camaro that will compete but I dont think that the base camaro will be faster than the GT. He has to be deep in the panties to make assertions like that on a car that's barely past the intro stage. If he's right more power to him but I find that hard to believe that chevy would make a direct competitor for the vette.

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
ON D BIT said:

LOL! They changed their minds and changed the date right after I talked to Mark at SVT! I did miss that one! But they cheated! LOL

Hey I'm just a real good guesser! :rolleyes:

Tim :beer:

chuckstang

Established Member
LR 01 Cobra said:
I know so!
I'm buying a Gt 500, I'm not knocking the car! I love it, that's why I'm buying one!
I'm just saying the Camaro will kill it! You'll see! I don't like it, but that's life!

Tim

the SS may get the LS7 with 505 hp but at 4000 plus pounds it will have no advantage over the gt500 especially once the modding begins :pepper:

Last edited:

R1Lello

Established Member
:poke:

LR01 Cobra, are you tied to their payroll?? if so, is your paystub at least 3 years too late like most of GM's products????

HHR vs. PT Cruiser (too late, market grabbed by Chrysler and now weak)

Camaro vs. Mustang(too late, 05 + Mustang has the market and aftermarket)

Lightning vs. SS Silverado (yeah right, not even close)

etc.......

If you are right, and I doubt it, the blower motor will respond and deliver much more for less $$ than the n/a motor and the aftermarket is all Mustang right now........been to 2005 SEMA ???

Users who are viewing this thread